Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecock QB Spencer Rattler feels optimistic about Year 2 at South Carolina

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Gamecock QB Spencer Rattler feels optimistic about Year 2 at South Carolina​

July 05, 2023

The Gamecocks’ starting quarterback threw out the first pitch Thursday at Segra Park as part of a name, image, and likeness event sponsored by Garnet Trust, South Carolina’s most prominent collective. It was the latest in a string of appearances the fifth-year quarterback has made throughout the offseason and a steady reminder of his popularity within the team’s fan base.

“It’s only my senior year,” Rattler said. “A lot of guys play till they’re 24, 25 I’m only 22. I feel like I’m where God needs me to be. Where God has my feet is the right spot and he has me here for a reason. I truly believe that.”

Perception isn’t always reality. At least, that’s how the old cliché goes. Rattler altered perception and reality over the final two weeks of the 2022 regular season. South Carolina was seemingly destined for another 6-6 campaign ahead of meetings with No. 5 Tennessee and No. 8 Clemson. Tennessee was prepping for a shot at the College Football Playoff. South Carolina was hoping to avoid a bowl game in Birmingham. But that’s what makes Rattler so special and so beloved around these parts.

The former five-star signal-caller eviscerated the Tennessee defense to the tune of six touchdown passes. His 438 yards were the fourth-best passing output in school history. A week later, he chomped on a cigar and danced in the smoke after completing 25 of 39 passes for 360 yards and two touchdowns and rushing for another in the Gamecocks first win over rival Clemson in nearly a decade. Those are legacy-defining things: things that will be remembered in Columbia independent of how this year plays out. “There was nobody in the entire world, other than my family, and well, I’m not sure (my family) thought we were going to win,” head coach Shane Beamer said after South Carolina’s 63-38 romp of Tennessee.

That Rattler has been embraced in Columbia won’t make much difference come Sept. 2 when South Carolina opens its season in what should be an AP Top 25 matchup against North Carolina and quarterback Drake Maye in Charlotte. That’s the thing about college football. Recency bias reigns supreme

Rattler finally looked comfortable in the offense toward the end of the season and started building chemistry with his receivers. The guy has arm talent for days and I think he can make some great things happen this year.

Just listening to how Spencer and Loggains are talking, this may be a really fun season. Loggains wants the Spencer that played those games against UT and Clemson to be able to play the same every game this year. Loggains might let Spenser have the room he needs to really shine.
And I feel if DK can get in some of his big runs, and Knox can wear them out on the short passes, that will open up the field even more for Spencer to hit those long passes.