Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks big-man target set to announce Tuesday night

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Gamecocks big-man target set to announce Tuesday night

SPORTSTALK / December 14, 2021

christian-reeves3.jpg
USC basketball coach Frank Martin has recruited 7-1 center Christian Reeves of Charlotte and Oak Hill Academy, VA going on four years, and Tuesday he’ll find out if it was all worth it. Reeves plans to announce a commitment at 8:00 PM Tuesday night, which happens to be his birthday and this mother’s birthday. He has been down to the Gamecocks and Minnesota going back a few months.

Martin had hoped to land Reeves during the early signing period in November, but he opted to hold off until December 14th for his personal reasons. Reeves said Martin was disappointed with that decision but has stayed on him to the end.

“After the signing date, they were like, we’re still going to recruit you but we have to pursue other bigs now,” Reeves said. “It was a time crunch for them.  They haven’t backed off.  We still stay in contact. They are still recruiting me hard.  They’ve got to focus on their season.  They just said we’re still here, we still want you.  They are still in the same place as far as wanting me.”  

As the season has progressed, Reeves said more schools have come by the school to check on him and meet with his coach Steve Smith about him.

“I know some coaches have been in the gym watching us, and I know some coaches have been talking to my coach and not me directly,” Reeves said.  “Some other schools are on the edge of entering the picture I think, but it’s those two (USC and Minnesota) right now,” Reeves said.  “Creighton is one of them.  That’s the most recent one showing a lot of interest.”

Reeves took his official visit to USC in the summer and one to Minnesota in September. He has not taken any other visits. He said Martin and assistant coaches also were in to see him at least three times in the pre-season.

Reeves said he’s averaging 9 points and 9 rebounds per game against one of the toughest high school schedules in the country.

Reeves is a guy we need to pull in to the fold.  Keep the top shelf of big men stocked and give time to learn Coach Martin's system with some tutelage from upper classmen.  I love this one, and hope that 4 years worth of love from Coach Martin has him announcing that he's a committed Gamecock!

I'd love to get Reeves on the team.  From what I've seen, he is very mobile for his size.   Hope he chooses us.

I'd love to get Reeves on the team.  From what I've seen, he is very mobile for his size.   Hope he chooses us.
@Gary, this kid has the tools to be REALLY good.  He's going to take a couple years to fully develop, and he would need to work on some strength training/add a little bit of size, but EVERYTHING is there to have a Chris Silva-like player again.  LOVE what I see in Reeves, and he's got that "you can't teach 7 foot" factor as well.  Really hoping for a commitment from this kid.

@Gary, this kid has the tools to be REALLY good.  He's going to take a couple years to fully develop, and he would need to work on some strength training/add a little bit of size, but EVERYTHING is there to have a Chris Silva-like player again.  LOVE what I see in Reeves, and he's got that "you can't teach 7 foot" factor as well.  Really hoping for a commitment from this kid.
I just read on The Big Spur that he is going to commit to Duke.  He's been waiting to see if Duke or UNC would offer and Duke finally did, according to TBS.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read on The Big Spur that he is going to commit to Duke.  He's been waiting to see if Duke or UNC would offer and Duke finally did, according to TBS.  
If that's true, it shows you what a top-shelf player he actually is.  Not surprised at the news, though, given that he waited to sign when he had the standing offer from us and MN.  He had mentioned that academics were a big factor as well, and there aren't many programs that get better academically than Duke does in most cases.  I hope that the Big Spur is wrong, but can't hate on Reeves if he chooses Duke over us.

If that's true, it shows you what a top-shelf player he actually is.  Not surprised at the news, though, given that he waited to sign when he had the standing offer from us and MN.  He had mentioned that academics were a big factor as well, and there aren't many programs that get better academically than Duke does in most cases.  I hope that the Big Spur is wrong, but can't hate on Reeves if he chooses Duke over us.
If he does commit to Duke, I just hate that we wasted a lot of time and money recruiting him.   It irks me that when Duke or UNC want a player that we want, they  always get him.     I expect the same thing will happen with GG Jackson.  Both Duke and UNC want him.  The academic thing is BS.  Its a myth that a degree from Duke or UNC is better than a degree from USC.  But, its a myth that is believed by a lot of people.

If he does commit to Duke, I just hate that we wasted a lot of time and money recruiting him.   It irks me that when Duke or UNC want a player that we want, they  always get him.     I expect the same thing will happen with GG Jackson.  Both Duke and UNC want him.  The academic thing is BS.  Its a myth that a degree from Duke or UNC is better than a degree from USC.  But, its a myth that is believed by a lot of people.
I can honestly say that the degree from Duke (as you note) is not better.  However, some of the programs are much more academically rigorous at Duke than they are here.  If someone wants to get a course in the medical field, Duke provides a higher quality education.  If someone wants to get a degree in Engineering, same.  If they want an Undergraduate degree in Business, USC is the place to be.  So there are tradeoffs.

UNC... that's just because of reputation of years of a dominant BB team.  Think Frank McGuire/Dean Smith/Roy Williams.  Certainly nothing to distinguish that school academically from us or from Duke.  Even the Kenan-Flagler Business School is not on the level reputation-wise that USC holds.

I hate to lose a recruit, especially to Duke or UNC, BUT, I also don't want guys on our team who wish they were at another school.  If Reeves wants to go to Duke, then I'm fine with that.

Gamecocks target 7-1 Christian Reeves of Charlotte and Oak Hill Academy, VA committed to Duke.

I thought it was a bad omen that he set his announcement during the middle of one of our games. I don't mind that he chose another school, but I hate that our coaches wasted a bunch of time and energy on him just to see another program swoop in at the last minute. I would say good luck to him, but I hate the Blue Turds...I mean Blue Devils... and don't want any of them to do well on the court.