Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks Fall to North Carolina in the 2023 Season Opener

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Gamecocks Fall to North Carolina in the 2023 Season Opener

Sept. 03, 2023
Heisman Trophy hopeful Drake Maye threw for 269 yards and two touchdowns, North Carolina’s upstart defense had nine sacks and the 21st-ranked Tar Heels beat border rival South Carolina 31-17 on Saturday night in a neutral-site game. (FULL ARTICLE)

Our defense lost the game in the first half and the OL in the second half.

No picks for Rattler, Doty looked pretty good, great defense on our two picks.

UNC came to the game pumped up; we didn't.

This will be a great rivalry assuming we're evenly matched going forward.

Not a bad Game 1 loss if we get the problems figured out. Somebody has to be down on the field to get in Teasley's face about the OL; either Dowell or Shane.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Rattler solidified my belief in his abilities, how a QB could accomplish what he did without an offisive line was truly amazing. The lack of good play by both the O&D lines was very distressing. If we can't vastly improve on both we're in for a long season.

I've put it in another thread but think it's worth repeating. Mack Brown said something to his team to the effect, "go get your respect back". Referring to how they finished last season. This has been their tone throughout spring/fall camps and in this game. They were vastly more ready to play tough football. I don't think even their coaches expected our OL and running game to be this bad, but once they realized it was, they just kept coming after Rattler because the deep passing game was the only thing that could beat them. For Rattler, he should be commended for his toughness, but more for his leadership. Never saw him do anything but get up and kept playing. No negative body language from him in this game.

We took some big injury hits early on in the game, too, and not enough depth yet to absorb it in a game against a good opponent.

Improve against Furman and get ready for the Dawgs. The toughest schedule in the country, too. Losing is not necessarily a bad thing if it's against very good teams.

I was very impressed with Rattler. Not only did he have great passing stats, did you notice when he took off and ran without being sacked. He ran for 1st downs 3 different times. He gained almost 10 yards per carry. However, being he was sacked for -65 yards, you do not see his true rushing stats.
It was just a shame that when our D finally started giving us chances, our OL made it impossible for Rattler to even try and pass the ball. I sure hope they can find some answers this week. If Furman can upset us, this whole season is probably a loss.