Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks hold off USC Upstate to snap 3-game losing skid

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Gamecocks hold off USC Upstate to snap 3-game losing skid

Though South Carolina struggled in the first half especially defensively the Gamecocks (3-3) came out on top over the Spartans 68-53, ending their three-game skid before next week’s multi-game road trip to Washington, D.C.

There’s some raw talent on the team. Coach Paris will have to work hard to get his guys to play better defense if our record is going to end at .500 or better on the year.
Three biggest issues as I see it are: 1.) Getting the Freshmen (other than GG) to play at the faster pace of college and the SEC. Right now the rushed pace for them is causing a lot of missed shots, even at close range. If we can get those shots, we win at least 2 of the three we lost. 2.) We need a backup at point guard, to cover well when Meechie is unavailable. Ford Cooper looked somewhat serviceable today, but in my estimation Jacobi Wright is not going to be the guy. Chico Carter can get the job done, but he’s better at the off position, shooting the ball. With no Ebrima Dibba, it’s going to be tough to have that go-to outside of Meechie.
Coach Paris has a tough season in front of him, unfortunately, unless the team learns to play through GG Jackson. Right now he’s manufacturing on his own, and guys are not playing to him most of the time. Will he do it all? No, but he’s definitely the most talented member of the team. Let him bear more of the team’s burdens, and become the new Sindarius Thornwell. THAT will give us a chance to be competitive in the SEC. 3.) Unfortunately, Bosemans-Verdonk isn’t going to be the scoring center we need. I don’t know if any of the three guys (B-V, Grey or Minott) will give us an average of 10+ PPG or 7 Rebounds/game. Without those numbers we will have to get a lot better from behind the arc this year.

Not trying to be negative… just pointing to the needs for improvement in the 1st year Paris Gamecocks in order to be competitive.

Glad we got the win finally. Hopefully Lamont adds more structure before league play.

I would be worried if he had not spent that time with Wisconsin.