Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks land another big running back out of the portal

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Gamecocks land another big running back out of the portal

Dec. 14, 2023

1702600935125.pngcoach Shane Beamer and running backs coach Montario Hardesty were not finished adding to the running back room from the Transfer Portal. After gobbling up Rocket Sanders of Arkansas and Oscar Adaway of North Texas, the Gamecocks added a commitment from SC State transfer Jawarn Howell on Thursday night.

Jawarn Howell (6-1, 215), the Rookie of the Year in the MEAC, wrapped up his official visit with the Gamecocks on Thursday morning and initially played things close to the vest regarding his interest in USC.

“I still don’t have a clue where I’m going yet, but the visit has been good,” Howell said. “Great hospitality and everything like that, so I really can’t complain about that. Pretty much they’re saying the same thing as all the other schools. I will be a valuable part of the offense, to add another element, things like that.”

Howell is from the heart of NASCAR country, Mooresville, NC (Martin Truex Jr. is his favorite driver). He was a freshman at State this season and emerged as the Bulldogs top running back rushing for 644 yards and seven touchdowns in nine games. He averaged over nine yards per carry. He capped off his season with a 27-carry, 283-yard, three-touchdown performance against Howard.