Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks lose starting guard, local player to transfer portal

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
The South Carolina men’s basketball is losing a fifth player to the transfer portal, and it’s the most impactful departure yet in terms of statistics. Senior guard Chico Carter Jr. will enter the portal, according to reports from VerbalCommits.com and On3 Sports. Carter, a Columbia native who started his college career at Murray State, started all 25 games he played for USC in 2022-23 and was fourth on the team with 9.8 points per game. Carter also shot a team-high 47.6% on 3-pointers (49 of 103). He is the fifth South Carolina player to enter the transfer portal since coach Lamont Paris’ first season ended at 11-21 (4-14 SEC).

Gamecocks other four confirmed transfers were Tre-Vaughn Minott, forward Ja’Von Benson, walk-on guard Ford Cooper and forward Daniel Hankins-Sanford. Carter’s departure leaves South Carolina with four open scholarships.

You would think to see the departures in the wake of a losing season, but in the age of the portal who knows?

This is one departure I don't understand. Chico played some significant minutes prior to his injury and in all likelihood would have been a sizable contributor next season.

This is one departure I don't understand. Chico played some significant minutes prior to his injury and in all likelihood would have been a sizable contributor
Honestly, Chico was the main beneficiary of a reduced and hampered squad this season. I truly believe that if Ebrima Dibba had remained healthy, and given the minutes Chico got under Frank Martin, that Chico Carter would have been mostly a non-factor for the team and would have transferred anyway. His numbers look respectable, but if you dig a little deeper into things, it was two, maybe three very good games where his shooting was "can't miss" that made his statistics look like they did. He's an average ball handler, and he's a decent three-point shooter IF you give him space and time, which you're not going to find in abundance in SEC play. Nice kid, don't get me wrong. But it's not a loss that I'm terribly worried about at this point. I wish him all success in his next stop along the way.

Out of Frank's players that left last year, only Eric Stevenson (WVU) and Devin Carter (Providence) made the tournament with their teams as starters.

View: https://youtu.be/ChwsbukJ_6g

Ed Cooley is leaving Providence to take the Georgetown job, but Bob Huggins ain't leaving WVU.

Both more successful and proven coaches than Lamont at this point. Devin and Erik made the right decisions to leave after Frank was fired.