Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks stand to lose three of their committed/signed 2023 recruits chosen in the MLB Draft

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Gamecocks stand to lose three of their committed/signed 2023 recruits chosen in the MLB Draft
July 12, 2023

The Gamecocks stand to lose three of their committed/signed 2023 recruits after they were chosen in the MLB Draft this week. Transfer RHP Matt Duffy was drafted in the fourth round by the Red Sox, OF/2B George Wolkow was taken in the seventh round by the White Sox and SS Raudi Rodriguez was the 19th round choice of the Yankees.

This is an ongoing issue with SC's baseball classes...we constantly lose a sizeable chunk in the draft. I know it's not just a Gamecock problem, but boy, some years it seems like it.

This is an ongoing issue with SC's baseball classes...we constantly lose a sizeable chunk in the draft. I know it's not just a Gamecock problem, but boy, some years it seems like it.
I have always wondered how baseball has different eligibility rules when it comes to the draft and being able to play college ball.

I have always wondered how baseball has different eligibility rules when it comes to the draft and being able to play college ball.
It's all a part of the professional league's collective bargaining agreement. Baseball's eligibility rules have been set for such a long time (I'd guess at least 50 years, maybe more), that they're unlikely to change.

I really think they should do something similar for football; it would pop the NIL blister and make things easier for coaches.

Why on Earth would the NFL want to change? The number of high school players that could contribute is very small and college football is basically their minor leagues. It's a perfect setup for them. The NFL couldn't care less about NIL and making things easier for college coaches.