Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GG Jackson, Meechie Johnson Declare For The NBA Draft Gamecocks

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
GG Jackson, Meechie Johnson Declare For The NBA Draft Gamecocks
March 24, 2023

Freshman GG Jackson, the leading scorer for USC this past season, and guard Meechie Johnson announced Friday they are entering their names into the NBA Draft this summer. Jackson has been projected as a first-round pick and would not be expected to return to USC. Johnson is more of a long shot and is leaving open the possibility of returning for another season.

“I want to thank God and my family for always being there for me,” Jackson said in a statement released by the University. “I also want to thank coach Paris and the rest of the staff at South Carolina for giving me the opportunity to live my dream of playing in my home city and state. To Gamecock Nation, the best fans in the country, thank you for your unwavering support. I am a Gamecock for life. The next step in my journey is here, and I will declare for the 2023 NBA Draft.”

Despite being the youngest player in the country, the 18-year-old Jackson led the Gamecocks in scoring and finished ninth in the SEC with 15.4 points per game, and he added 5.9 rebounds per game. He was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team.

His scoring average was the fifth-most in the nation by a freshman. He led the team in scoring 17 times, scoring in double-figures a team-best 25 times in 32 games played. His 11, 20-point games were the most by a Gamecock freshman since South Carolina joined the SEC in 1991-92.

“This is a very exciting day for GG and his family as they begin preparing for the next chapter in his career,” said head coach Lamont Paris. “I, too, am incredibly excited for GG and all that lies ahead for him. GG is and will always be a Gamecock, and I could not be more supportive of his decision to declare for the NBA Draft.”

Jackson, who starred for Ridge View High School in Columbia, was ranked as the No. 1 player in the 2024 class before reclassifying to the Class of 2023. The decision to de-commit from North Carolina and sign with USC was quite a coup for first-year head coach Lamont Paris and the hometown Gamecocks.

Johnson transferred to USC from Ohio State and proved to be one of Gamecock's most dangerous outside shooters. The 6-3 guard averaged 13 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds per game this season. He shot 33% from three, 35% overall, and 76% from the free-throw line.

Jackson and Jackson become the seventh and eighth players to announce plans to leave the program since the end of the season.

These kids can certainly do what they want with their lives, but two players on one of the worst teams in the SEC this past season leaving early for the NBA is ridiculous.

It makes you think we actually went to the NCAAT this year, but guess what, we had a horrible losing season.

You could understand hitting the portal, but going directly to the NBA is somewhat laughable.

This was the some of the worst basketball I have seen since the 2013-14 season.

I wish them well, but the player mix just didn't work out this year. C-yah.

Again, Jackson was always going to be a one-and-done. If you thought otherwise, well, I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

I fully expect Meechie to be back next year. He's probably just wanting to get feedback from the NBA on what he needs to do to improve his game.

Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. Dean Smith was the one who helped make him the basketball player he eventually became.

Lebron pulled it off, but you're competing against guys who are good enough to get paid to do it to feed their families.

GG would have been able to name his price if he had stayed for the full ride here.

Again, Jackson was always going to be a one-and-done. If you thought otherwise, well, I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

I fully expect Meechie to be back next year. He's probably just wanting to get feedback from the NBA on what he needs to do to improve his game.

Yeah, he's probably doing the same thing AJ and Keyshawn did with the same results. Testing the waters more than anything.

Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. Dean Smith was the one who helped make him the basketball player he eventually became.

Lebron pulled it off, but you're competing against guys who are good enough to get paid to do it to feed their families.

GG would have been able to name his price if he had stayed for the full ride here.
GG is going to be a Lottery pick, he is naming his price at 18 years old... The chances of improving his stock by staying are as good as his stock dropping by staying, though I would have love to see him get the band together for one more year 😀 and it is technically still possible... He is going to be a beast for the next 15-20 years in basketball and I'm glad he chose to let his path run through Colonial Life and the Gamecock family! I hope that leads to more following in his footsteps....

Last edited: