Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hank Aaron died today

Truly a great American and all around class act.  He was larger than life and people say you could sit there and listen to his stories and just be mesmerized by him.  

God rest him. I was 15 when my family and I saw him hit 715. Dad was watching it at the Shaw AFB Hospital where he was on call that evening.

Man I hate to hear that he passed away. He was my favorite player growing up as well. I had the pleasure of being in the old Atlanta - Fulton County Stadium when he hit his 700th. My cousin was a stewardess for Delta and stationed in Atlanta. She gave her brother a key to her apartment because she was often gone for a week or two at a time. We had a standing invitation to come down any time we wanted.

5-6 times a year during the summer we'd leave around 2ish on Friday and drive straight to the Stadium and catch the Friday night game, the Saturday game, and the Sunday game which was always at 1:00 pm. After the Sunday game we'd leave the Stadium and head home. General admission to the outfield seats back then was $1.00, good times.

I heard him say in an interview some years ago that he always liked the nickname Bad Henry he got when the Braves were in Milwaukee the most.

Dude would jack one out of the park on the first pitch and make a pitcher look stupid all the time in Milwaukee.  100% natural.  Never on the juice like so many others today.

RIP Bad Henry.