Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you really feel?

AikenGameFan

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash
I know after last year's let down; it is hard to get hyped.
For some reason it seems I remember in 2022 people were saying 2024 was going to be a big year for us. Several of the recruits we were hoping for back then did sign on last year. I do not remember what it was about this year that seemed so different, but maybe 2024 will be the year. We really do have some decent talent now.

Can Sellers show out like a future Heisman candidate?
Can the O-line stay healthy and not only protect Sellers but open up some holes for our running backs?
Can the RBs like Rocket get some 100-yard + games?
Can some of the new WR shine like Legette did last year?
Will Nick show why being so fast can be huge for a WR that can leave the other team's secondary back in dust?
Can our defense hold the other team to occasional FGs and start getting more INTs?
Even in the Clemson game the defense did not allow a TD. Can they continue to play like that, and our offense actually be scoring TDs?
Can our Special teams be explosive again? How many TDs will we get on special teams?

So many questions going through my mind.

I feel the talent is there and we have the coaches to develop that talent. But will it happen? Even Saban said it could be close.
I think after we see them play August 31, we might have some confidence back. But I think Sept 7 will really tell us what we might be able to expect this year.
But even beating UK don't mean much when you still have LSU, Ole MISS, ALA, and OKL games to play.
Out of 12 games, 8 are already ranked in the pre-season. Does that help calm the hype or not? Sadly, for me, No.

How do I feel? I feel we are all going to be surprised and impressed with our team this year. I just printed this and taped it to my office wall.

Last edited:
As a 50 yo Gamecock fan, I've seen this play out way too many times in the past. Lot's of pre-season hype, to then just be let down as the season goes (most of the time any ways).

Hoping for a great season, but not expecting it. It's much better for my mood to be pleasantly surprised, then to be disappointed halfway through the season. I'll watch the games and follow along, but I'm done with getting all hyped up every pre-season.

This Year's schedule is brutal. But it is most years.

As a 50 yo Gamecock fan, I've seen this play out way too many times in the past. Lot's of pre-season hype, to then just be let down as the season goes (most of the time any ways).

Hoping for a great season, but not expecting it. It's much better for my mood to be pleasantly surprised, then to be disappointed halfway through the season. I'll watch the games and follow along, but I'm done with getting all hyped up every pre-season.

This Year's schedule is brutal. But it is most years.
Pretty much where I'm at although I'm 70 and have been disappointed many more times than you have. I'm hoping for an improved team but like I said on another thread we could have a better team but the record may not reflect it.

I'm with both of you guys. I'm 55, and I've seen this play out too many times. My heart looks at the improvements in the O-line, WR, DL, RB, DB, and also the coaching positions, and I want to get excited. I even think, based on the limited times we saw him last year, that we have upgraded at QB. I love Spencer, but I think Sellers gives us more explosiveness at QB. I've gone crazy every year, and gotten my hopes up for the season, but my brain is keeping me at bay this year. I am hoping to be incredibly surprised, but I'm not counting on it till I see it happening on the field.

I don't watch the entire games anymore because the first half is irrelevant, for better or worse. That would be the same if we were pretty good, too.

Still haven't paid the money for a streaming service yet, either, because I can't justify the expense if we don't have a good chance of having a solid winning record each year.

I would rather winning generate hype videos most of the time.

I watch all the games, all the way thru regardless (unless deer hunting) But haven’t attended any games in a couple seasons now. Still excited headed into every season (51 yrs old) but not as much as I used to be. I really don’t think there’s much hype at all around this team and there’s no single player to get overly excited about right now. Hopefully that changes and some stars emerge quickly. Lots of question marks all over the field but again, I’m optimistic we see some overall improvement. Not sure if that will show in the W-L categories but we should be deeper at most positions than we have been. Quality depth is a whole other thing.

I think Sellers learning under Rattler was the best thing that could have happened for this year. With the influx of talent at RB and OL to with Harbor, Simon, Doty, Hunt and the WR's/TE's surrounding Sellers as wells Ashford to back Sellers up and push him the offense is going to be tough to handle!
Our defense will take a step forward as well with the depth and talent at DL and LB, if the secondary stays healthy they will be very good.
I think Rocket Sanders is the X factor, if he is healthy, stays healthy and returns to the 1400yd plus back of 2 years ago we compete for a playoff spot and SEC title...

Rattler was an ok runner, but did not have the natural instinct of when to go that great running quarterbacks have -- he was however, an exceptional passer. Unfortunately, we had no running game which made us SO one-dimensional. If, as mentioned above, Sanders can come close to his 2022 form, and with Seller's natural instinct for running, we should be improved in the running game (the caveat for seemingly every Gamecock team is "if the O-line shows up with any kind of pulse"). Just having any kind of running game, will take so much pressure off of our passing game, and would allow our passing game to develop and improve over the season -- which would be helpful to a new QB and his new receivers.

I think Sellers learning under Rattler was the best thing that could have happened for this year. With the influx of talent at RB and OL to with Harbor, Simon, Doty, Hunt and the WR's/TE's surrounding Sellers as wells Ashford to back Sellers up and push him the offense is going to be tough to handle!
Our defense will take a step forward as well with the depth and talent at DL and LB, if the secondary stays healthy they will be very good.
I think Rocket Sanders is the X factor, if he is healthy, stays healthy and returns to the 1400yd plus back of 2 years ago we compete for a playoff spot and SEC title...
We've got more talent at WR, and Harbor has more experience, but watch out for Mazeo Bennett. I watched him in HS, and that kid can play.

In general, I'm always excited for the new football season. I am tempering expectations for the Gamecocks though. Seems like any time I start to believe any hype, I am always let down. Better to be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed imo. I think the potential is there for us to have a better record this year, but we could easily be a sub .500 team again depending on injuries, lack of player development, etc.

I, too, am an over 50 Gamecock fan (72). My sons say i put on my Garnet Glasses every year.

But this year, I have them on and turned on to MAX. I really feel that our DEFENSE will be the best we have seen in years. The Oline has no where to go but UP. We have depth and experience in the RB room. I like our WR room. Not to leave out Harbor, whom I expect great things from.

Then there is Sellers, the kid is a TALENT.

That only leaves Coaching. That is my only QUESTION MARK.

In general, I'm always excited for the new football season. I am tempering expectations for the Gamecocks though. Seems like any time I start to believe any hype, I am always let down. Better to be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed imo. I think the potential is there for us to have a better record this year, but we could easily be a sub .500 team again depending on injuries, lack of player development, etc.
I'm with you and ready for the season to start. O line has to be better. But my expectations are in show me mode. Hope Beamer can show out this season and elevate the skeptics.

I am just glad it is so close to getting the season started and yes, I do have my Garnet Glasses on already but here is why.
Yes, I believe Sellers will be a great QB.

Yes, I believe our D will be much better because of the changes they made late last year and the new players they brought in. I think Dylan Stewart will be like a Clowney all over again. He will be a huge + for our D.

Yes, I believe our OL will be way better. Not only are they healthy, but we also now have a 3-deep roster so they can stay rested and not have to always play tired and hurt like they had to do last year.

Yes, I believe we finally have some really good, fast RB that will blow through the D when they try to blitz Sellers.

Yes, I believe our TE's will not only protect the QB but will get plenty of yards when the D tries to double our WR.

Yes, Guys like Harbor and Bennet are going to burn them up with some really big after catch yardage.

No, the sports media does not think much about us, and yes, we looked really bad last season. But I just feel Beamer and his new / improved coaching staff will develop a very good team. I am hoping we surprise a bunch of people just like our Basketball team did last year.

I am just glad it is so close to getting the season started and yes, I do have my Garnet Glasses on already but here is why.
Yes, I believe Sellers will be a great QB.

Yes, I believe our D will be much better because of the changes they made late last year and the new players they brought in. I think Dylan Stewart will be like a Clowney all over again. He will be a huge + for our D.

Yes, I believe our OL will be way better. Not only are they healthy, but we also now have a 3-deep roster so they can stay rested and not have to always play tired and hurt like they had to do last year.

Yes, I believe we finally have some really good, fast RB that will blow through the D when they try to blitz Sellers.

Yes, I believe our TE's will not only protect the QB but will get plenty of yards when the D tries to double our WR.

Yes, Guys like Harbor and Bennet are going to burn them up with some really big after catch yardage.

No, the sports media does not think much about us, and yes, we looked really bad last season. But I just feel Beamer and his new / improved coaching staff will develop a very good team. I am hoping we surprise a bunch of people just like our Basketball team did last year.
I Believe