Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the CFP making the bowls Irrelevant?

Hoganman1

Fanatics Cash
I was excited when the CFP replaced the Bowl Coalition, but now I'm not so sure. It seems to me like the three playoff games are all that matter anymore. For instance I totally missed the Orange Bowl. Maybe that's because I'm old, forgetful and the  teams playing (UF and UVa) are not two of my favorites. However, I just assumed the game would be on Jan.1st. As I settle in my recliner for today's games , the sense of excitement just isn't what it used to be. I heard Rick Neuheisel on Sirius XMs FULL RIDE the other day make his case for going to eight teams in the CFP. I don't remember his exact formula, but I think it brought the major bowls into play. Granted the scheduling of four games, followed by two and then to one wouldn't be easy. Also, the bowl committees would have to get on board to make it all work. Nothing is going to change soon, but hopefully I'll get to see an eight team "tournament" that would make the bowls more interesting again before I'm on the other side of the grass.

I think they will be when the number of teams in the playoffs expands.

I don’t think the CFP games have done that but scheduling has.  During BCS, all other bowl games were appetizers for the big game.  However, with the CFP playing before the rest of the big bowls, it throws a wrench in the other big games.  The CFP needs to be New Year’s Day and other 4 lead up to it.  I know the Rose bowl is what is preventing that but just my solution to it all.  

Also, I wish the championship was only a week after the two semis. I know if gives teams time to get players healthy, but two weeks is too long in my opinion. You're right that they have to work around the Rose Bowl because they refuse to move when they're not a playoff host. Also, some fans complained when the semis were on New Year's Eve. I guess it's never going to be perfect. Anyway the Citrus and Outback are both competitive so far today.

Add to that, we have 5 bowl games after NYD and that does not even include the CFCG.  The NCAA needs to kill at least 10 bowl games IMO.  There are just too many.  I think there are 40 games including the playoff and championship.  That is too many IMO.  Example - Monday January 6th is Louisiana Lafayette vs. Miami Ohio.  Who cares?  There are many others like that as well.  I feel if they got rid of 10, we would not really be missing great games.

For now not happening. 

Jim Delany right now on ESPN: "A movement to 8 [teams in the playoff] is not imminent."

I'll have a deeper dive tomorrow on https://t.co/Do0GY2YbwU as Delany's tenure ends today.

— Dennis Dodd (@dennisdoddcbs) January 1, 2020

Yes, there are way too many bowls. Remember last year there were some 5 and 7 teams in bowls because there weren't enough  teams with 6 wins. However, like everything else today; money rules. I've heard some of these smaller schools actually lose money going to a bowl.  You can bet the TV networks and bowl sponsors all get their cuts. The fans of these teams have to shell out a lot of cash too. The host cities benefit from that. So the bowls that are here aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

That will just exasperate the OP's question. 

IMO, bowl games are about the same. They are important to the teams playing them and there are quite a few fans that love the travel. 

And there are always a few games that are just great football.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes unless you are a huge fan of a team or of college football the bowls after the cfp have lost luster. I think the rose bowl has always had good attendance viewership so bucks the trend. But usually the fiesta and orange are stinkers. I enjoyed the outback today but can’t say I’ve made it a point to watch any bowl game other than the semis. 

The games today have been very entertaining so far.However, It's like there are two different leagues. The four playoff teams and everybody else.

The other thing the cfp does for non cfp teams is makes it easier for kids to sit out their bowl game for the nfl. Why risk millions of dollars on a bowl game if it’s not a cfp? Thus making the non cfp games less attractive to viewers.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 40-some bowls as it is now. That is more than enough to host a playoff game should the NCAA decide to increase the number of playoff teams. Just choosing the "Power 5" teams is ludicrous. Who decided the Power 5? What is it based on? Can you imagine the screaming and carrying-on that will occur if a Mid-Major conference usurps one or more them (MAC, e.g.). I will always be a proponent of the FCS system to determine the National champion. That way, there is no question because it is settled on the field. *Takes soapbox and goes home!*

Yes unless you are a huge fan of a team or of college football the bowls after the cfp have lost luster. 
I turned on one of the games yesterday to see the score, and had to wait 3 minutes due to commercials. CFB gets abused by ads. This is the main reason I don't watch many of the bowl games. ESPN may be the worst offender. 

Most entertaining came was yesterday with Auburn vs Minnesota. Besides that did not watch any other to begining to end. To many blow outs.

Yes their were other close games. I just like the Minnesota coach. Enjoy is coaching along with the HC at Wake Forest.

I watched Alabama/Michigan and it was a pretty good game and Wisconsin and Oregon was pretty good.  Overall it has taken some of my interest out of watching, but the teams I watched yesterday did seem to play hard so that is a plus.  

Not sure it's had too much overall impact. Fact is, 75 % of all bowls are crap unless your team was playing in it. That is the case now, was the case during the BCS years,and was the case prior to the BCS years. There have always been a handful of marquee bowl games with national implications.And that is still the case now. 

I don't think you can point to any one thing as the killer of the bowls. I think it's more of a combination of factors. As mentioned before, there are 40 bowl games. For a league that has 125 teams, merely being in the top 65% is enough to get to the post season. That's pretty damn ridiculous. Add on top of that the fact that the hype machine for the playoff teams is in overdrive, and it pretty much feels like a situation where the networks really only care about the top 4, and everyone else can piss off. We also have a rash of primadonnas these days who think they're too good to play in a bowl game for the team that got them on the NFL's radar in the first damn place.