Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judgment time the good the bad and ugly but still a win over Georgia State

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Judgment time the good the bad and ugly but still a win over Georgia State
Step. 04, 2022

Here’s a look at the good the bad and the ugly in South Carolina’s 35-14 win over Georgia State on Saturday night in Week 1 of the college football season in Columbia. (CLICK TO VIEW FULL ARTICLE)

They have UNC next week, but I think they're gonna show the Heels some D that they didn't see in their 63-61 win over App St this weekend.
LOL The A SHE, SHE very weak conference.

I listened to the game on the radio. Todd and Tommy were very high on Rattler's play except for the pick.

Rattler is a lot more smooth and accurate than any QB since Jake Bentley's good seasons. That quick release is something we haven't seen in a while from our QBs.

GSU's record against SEC teams says to me that they are more like a bottom-tier SEC team, so this game was a good warm-up for the Hogs for us. Any OOC opponent that is a contender for their conference championship is a lower-tier SEC team in my book.

Those two blocked punts broke GSU's back. I really thought the Panthers were still in contention up to that point.

We should do a home-and-home with GSU. People wouldn't mind going back to the old Braves stadium to watch a game.

Was not a fan of the play calling as I thought we would run the ball at will on them but a win is a win and that is a very well coached team that Coach Elliott brought to Willy B! We showed flashes, Deebo a Jordan or Brad Johnson seemed to be part of every Defensive play.
The local Freshman that made plays shows the importance of finding a place for local talent and it put a huge smile on my face! Congrats DQ Smith and Nick Emmanworri...
PA announcer how about we change it up a little and do DE... FENCE... instead of GAME... COCKS...
We did not hear the names Joyner or Vann or Stogner as much as I expected...
Thought the refs were decent other than the Pass Interference only because they didn't call the same thing when Rattler floated one for Vann in the south end zone...
I think, hope after a film session Rattler sees the underneath routes and seam routes he can take advantage of when he creates but we have to see less of that and more three steps back and let it go if we are going/he is going to be successful this year...

Anyone that watched all the games last year should have known that returning all of the O-line was not a good thing...

I snickered too myself when some dumb a__ reporter rated our O-line as an "A" preseason.

Well, it is the opening game of the season. They say that we're supposed to see the most improvement from Game 1 to Game 2, or we are saddled with what we got. Perhaps our team this season falls into that category.

Georgia State out-gained us for the game. They ran with ease through our defense - in fact, their run game was really their only offense: they kicked up the passing game in the 2nd half when they started falling behind in the score. But 200 rushing yds at 5.0 yds a pop was dominant for them.

Our own run game was almost non-existent. Too many 1, 2, and 3 yard efforts that put too much pressure on Rattler - we averaged as a team 2.5 yds per carry for 32 attempts. The Panthers sacked us three (3) times - we got 0 sacks from our defense. They intercepted us two (2) times to our one interception. They had more tackles for loss and more total tackles: GA St. played one more offensive play (69) than we did (68) for the game.

Offensively, the bright spot was Rattler. He showed himself as a polished, poised QB in a CFB setting that we truly have not had since Jake Bentley. It's a shame that the OL seemed so detached in trying to provide support for him and our offense. The run game currently remains to be seen, thanks in large part to that OL, and our receiving was shaky and at times struggled to gain separation from the Sun Belt defense, but at other times played well.

Defensively, there just wasn't much there. In the first half the Panthers threw the ball very little, to give reason for so few penetrations into their offensive backfield and pressures on their QB. But ultimately they threw 29 times and we were not able to scratch their protection. And again the run defense was porous. The top players on defense last night IMO would be Deebo Williams (game-high 5 total tackles, 1 TFL, 1 QB Hurry) and Gilber Edmond (4 total tackles, 2 TFL, 2 QB Hurries).

We have massive need for improvements heading into the next two games at Arkansas and home against Georgia.....

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was pleased with the D. There is room for improvement, but, overall I was happy. The special teams were off the chart! I thought the offense was fine, if the O-line would do their job. If we could just have a mediocre O-line, I think we can have a fantastic season. The RB’s can’t get anywhere, because they are being tackled as soon as they touch the ball. Rattler is running for his life, so he can’t get in rhythm. Rattler’s two interceptions were stupid, and I chalk that up to nerves. I believe he’ll settle in. I thought he was incredibly smooth and his arm looked great. We need to see improvement in the O-line, for the millionth season in a row.

I enjoyed the Game myself and did not expect more than what I saw last night. I know one thing I will be in WillyB come Georgia weekend and looking to my first night game hopefully the week after the Georgia game. The atmosphere was great. Love the new light and sound system. My motto is defense wins championships Offense entertains. We have one of the better defenses in the SEC. Happy Gamecock I am.

What can be done in 1, 2 or 3 weeks to improve the O line play thaw hasn’t been done in the spring, summer or fall practice? Afraid it is what it is.

What can be done in 1, 2 or 3 weeks to improve the O line play thaw hasn’t been done in the spring, summer or fall practice? Afraid it is what it is.
Rattler's used to playing with much better, so I think he will help them along and make a difference, but I don't know.

I heard Shane mention the need to simplify things on offense in his PG presser, so maybe some of it can be fixed.

We'll see...

I was gone Saturday and thought I’ll watch the replay on SEC network. I had to scroll all they way to next Friday to even see it aired. In the meantime the Alabama game seems like it is on a loop and several others are shown 2-3 times before our game. WTF SEC NETWORK

I was gone Saturday and thought I’ll watch the replay on SEC network. I had to scroll all they way to next Friday to even see it aired. In the meantime the Alabama game seems like it is on a loop and several others are shown 2-3 times before our game. WTF SEC NETWORK
You can watch on line at ESPN3. I watched it yesterday late as well.

I happy it was a win. As we’ve all stated, our OL is very very bad. Bottom of the league bad. Maybe they can improve from very bad to just bad but I’m not optimistic. Saw an OL transfer from us, Turntine, starting for FSU last night. Ga St DL had our guys on roller skates and no disrespect to them, but we will face much better DL talent. Not being able to establish any semblance of a running game vs this is level opponent is inexcusable for an SEC team. Lloyd is very good in space but we cannot give him that other than on the edges and in the passing game. That needs to improve but we need a more physical back to counter the inadequacies of our blocking. Don’t think he’s that type and maybe the transfer back from Wake can be. Our highly rated DL players were absent for large stretches and appeared soft vs their run blocking. Ga St should have run every down and just not punted…lol. The play calling and execution on offense for us was again questionable. I think we look better in a hurry up O. The recruiting focus needs to continue on OL and some beef in the middle on the DL. Enough with the edge guys. The WRs overall I thought caught the balls well but at times struggled to get separation. Need some type of deep threat if we can get the QB some time. Vann was a non factor for most of the game so I’m looking for him to get more involved going forward. Special teams was awesome aside from one snap. All phases of the team needs to improve quickly.

Last edited: