Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin McKie commits to the Gamecocks (basketball)

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
2 star 6-4 shooting guard Justin McKie of Irmo, the son of USC's all time leading scorer BJ McKie, announced a commitment to the Gamecocks Monday morning. McKie made an official visit to USC over the weekend and contacted head coach Frank Martin Sunday night with the news. "Coach Martin said he was really happy," McKie said. "He said it was good for the program. He wants me to keep working and things will take care of itself." McKie also considered Murray State and Wichita State and had several other offers, but when the chance came to play for the hometown SEC program, he couldn't let that pass. "It's a great moment for me and my family," he said. "Playing basketball at a high level has always been one of my dreams." BJ McKie came from the same Irmo program and went on to surpass Alex English as the Gamecocks' all-time leading scorer by the time his career ended in the late 90s.

Father and son talked often about recruiting but the younger McKie said he was always free to go where he felt most comfortable. "My dad was real happy, of course, but he's never pushed me South Carolina's way," he said. "Had I committed elsewhere, he would have been happy." McKie is USC's third commitment for the 2013 class and will be joining a very young team when he arrives on campus. "I think I'll be able to fit in with the team and the style of play,:" he said. I'll bring my heart and my hard working mentality. I like to get to the basket and draw contact."

Scouts bio

247sports bio

Rivals bio

link: http://www.goupstate.com/article/20121008/PSPORTS02/121009663/-1/PSPORTS