Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest update on DE Dylan Stewart Gamecocks

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Latest update on DE Dylan Stewart Gamecocks​

SPORTSTALK / July 26, 2023
1690398390341.pngUSC coach Shane Beamer and his coaches get the chance to wrap their arms around 5-star DE Dylan Stewart 6-5, 245lbsof Washington, DC again this weekend. Stewart is coming in Friday for the cookout according to his coach Mike Hunter. Whether or not this visit will lead to a resolution of Stewart’s recruiting remains to be seen.

“He’s honestly wavering back and forth between an announcement date,” Hunter said. “One time he mentioned August, September and then back to August. Now he may wait till the end. I’m just not sure. It’s a tough decision for him. I know he’s under a lot of pressure, so he wants to make the right decision.”

Perhaps the hardest to say no to would be USC? Like they did in landing Nyck Harbor from the same area, Beamer and company have gone all in on Stewart.

“He has a great relationship with the coaches down there,” Hunter said. “He has a great relationship with the players on the team and has definitely built a bond with some of the guys that they are recruiting as well, not only from our area but from around the nation. They’ve done a tremendous job of recruiting him. They’ve done a tremendous job of keeping in touch with myself and his parents to make sure everyone is comfortable with South Carolina and with the coaching staff. They’ve put themselves in a great position.”

But Hunter adds that he can pretty much say the same thing about the other four schools.

“I think all the schools have a legit shot right now just from my conversations from talking with the coaches at those schools,” Hunter said. “He hasn’t led anyone to believe like, oh I’m going to pick you guys when I make my decision. It’s a tough decision for him. Schools have made it really tough. I don’t think there’s a wrong decision, as long as he’s focused on doing what he’s supposed to do, he can be successful at any one of those places. I don’t think anyone is trying to talk him out of a school either.”

The South Carolina visit is the only one Hunter has on the docket for this week, but his coach said more will come if he doesn’t shut down his recruiting before the start of the season.

“As of right now, he probably will take some more visits, some game days visits, to some of those schools he’s still considering,” Hunter said. “Obviously, if he makes his decision sometime in August or early September, he’ll probably just be locked into that one place and focus on having a great senior year and then getting started with his college career.”

Stewart is considered by many as the top defensive end prospect in his class. He’s coming off a junior season of 16 sacks.

I expect Shane to get settled in at HC this season. Once that happens, the great recruits we were used seeing while Shane was here working for Spurrier will start to materialize.

I also had similar feelings about Muschamp, but think Shane is a little different in a good way despite his lack of experience as a head coach before coming here.