Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look at the freshman 2023 WR class. Who will contribute the most this fall?

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Look at the freshman 2023 WR class. Who will contribute the most this fall?
August 02, 2023

Gamecock receivers coach Justin Stepp spoke highly of the talent of his young receivers but knows it will be an adjustment period for them. “All of them come in as freshmen. It is hard. You get thrown right into the fire from high school,” Stepp said at last week’s Birdies With Beamer media golf event. “All those guys have done an excellent job adjusting and figuring things out. Some of them have separated themselves from others in the last few weeks. We’ve just got to help them grow up, help them learn the culture and how we do things.

The Gamecocks signed five freshmen in this year’s recruiting class

Elijah Caldwell (6-1, 191), Rock Hill
— In-state product from Northwestern High in Rock Hill caught 77 passes for 1,365 yards and 20 touchdowns as a senior in helping the Trojans to the Class 4A state championship game.

Tyshawn Russell (6-0, 174), Harrisburg, Pa. — Had a productive senior season in helping Bishop McDevitt to the Pennsylvania Class 4A title. Russell had 61 catches for 1,334 yards and 22 touchdowns.

Kelton Henderson (6-0, 165), Lehigh Acres, Florida — Was an Under Armour All-American selection who caught 10 passes for 222 and six touchdowns last season.

CJ Adams (6-2, 215), Mableton, Ga. — Started high school career as a quarterback before moving to receiver during his junior season. Adams caught 54 passes for 936 yards and 11 touchdowns last season.

Nyck Harbor (6-5, 241), Washington DC — The highest-ranked recruit in the USC’s Class of 2023 caught 15 passes for 439 yards and five touchdowns last season. Harbor played tight end and defensive end in high school but will be a receiver for the Gamecocks.

We're pretty stacked at WR now that I look at this year's roster.

Nyck and the rest are going to have to compete with Juice, X-man, and Ahmarean Brown.

Having said that, I expect us to be pretty banged-up after the UGA game, so some guys will get touches this season.

No idea who will get the reps with Rattler so they can get used to one another.

I expect it to be a fun, competitive season for all positions.

Could Nyck be the next Megatron? I sure hope so. With that size and speed he will be a nightmare matchup for any secondary.

I expect Harbor to have immediate impact even if he's used as a decoy but also see playing time for Caldwell.

I know this about freshman, but has anyone heard anything on Landon Samson? he was a top 250 recruit in his class, but I have not heard his name mentioned.

He redshirted last year after only playing in the bowl game against Notre Dame, but didn't record any stats.

So I assume he will have to compete against the newcomers to get into the rotation as well as the returning veterans. Solid WR room this year, so good luck to him.