Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MBB 2021-22 schedule news

markymark550

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
The post on the women's schedule got me wondering about the men's schedule as well. By my count, I have seen where we have 26 out of a possible 31 games on the schedule.

18 conference games
2 games in an Asheville MTE (first game against Princeton, second game against either Minnesota or Western Kentucky)
Clemson (I think on the road, but not sure with last year's game canceled)
Rider (at home, makeup of game canceled for Covid-19 last season)
Army (haven't seen where this game will be held, but I would presume it's a home game)
UAB (home)
Georgetown (home)
Florida State (in Rock Hill)

UAB and Georgetown are part of a home-and-home series, so we will visit those 2 the next season. I did see one article/post that said we were hosting Western Kentucky outside of the Asheville MTE, but haven't seen that confirmed by a reputable source. Florida State is a pseudo home-and-home. The game in Florida will be at an undetermined "neutral" court. I like having them on the schedule, although the decision to have the games at neutral sites just doesn't make sense to me. The game in Rock Hill is supposed to be at the Rock Hill Sports and Events Center, which according to their website has 1,200 seats on what they call the championship court. At least the Winthrop Coliseum seats 6,100, but I could see how Winthrop wouldn't want to host the game. I might be wrong, but I just don't see it being a very successful series at neutral sites within the 2 states.

I'm curious as to how they finish out the schedule. Post any other schedule news as you see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless it's part of a tournament, the FSU game sites don't make a lot of sense at a time when both schools could probably use the ticket revenue.

Unless it's part of a tournament, the FSU game sites don't make a lot of sense at a time when both schools could probably use the ticket revenue.
It's not part of a tournament. I agree that it's a head scratcher. I just don't see a lot of value in it for either school.

The non-conference schedule has been completed and has been announced:

COLUMBIA, S.C. – University of South Carolina head men's basketball coach Frank Martin announced on Thursday his team's non-conference schedule for the upcoming 2021-22 campaign.  The Gamecocks embark on a 13-game pre-conference lineup, which includes eight home dates, neutral-site matchups in Asheville and Rock Hill, and road contests at Coastal Carolina and Clemson.  Carolina will also host an exhibition at Colonial Life Arena in early November.

"Once again we are unbelievably excited that we have put together a really strong non-conference schedule that will prepare our team for the rigors and the challenges of an 18-game SEC schedule," Martin said.  "We will face NCAA Tournament teams from a year ago at home, on neutral courts and on the road, along with teams that have competed for their conference championships in the previous two years. 

"The excitement also surrounds the fact that our fans can see all of these high-level non-conference games at home, or at places which are within driving distance of our campus.  I have no doubt that this schedule will once again represent our school in a great way."

https://gamecocksonline.com/news/2021/8/19/mens-basketball-gamecocks-announce-2021-non-conference-schedule.aspx

South Carolina Men's Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule
Nov. 4, Benedict (exhibition)
Nov. 9, USC Upstate

Nov. 12, vs. Princeton (Asheville Championship)
Nov. 14, vs. Western Kentucky/Minnesota (Asheville Championship)
Nov. 18, UAB
Nov. 23, Wofford
Nov. 28, Rider

Dec. 1, at Coastal Carolina
Dec. 5, Georgetown
Dec. 12, vs. Florida State (Rock Hill, S.C.)
Dec. 14, Allen
Dec. 18, at Clemson
Dec. 22, Army
Dec. 29, SC State

Home games in bold

NCAAT opponents from last season are Georgetown, Florida State, and Clemson....
Pretty decent OOC schedule.

IIRC Wofford had a down season last year after going to the NCAAT the year before.  Cliff Ellis is still the HC at Coastal and they gave us fits a few years ago.

Furman's not on the schedule, but they went dancing last year.

Some good in-state programs to choose from for an OOC slate.

Hopefully we're back to full attendance at the CLA this season.  A good home crowd will be a much-needed shot in the arm for Frank this year.

Hopefully we're back to full attendance at the CLA this season.  A good home crowd will be a much-needed shot in the arm for Frank this year.
In this age of plague, especially with Coach Martin's health woes last year, I find that particular phrase...brilliant!  Intentional or not.

Last edited by a moderator: