Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MBB GAMEDAY THREAD South Carolina vs. Davidson Tip-off set 7:30 pm

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
1668770267924.png

MBB GAMEDAY THREAD South Carolina vs. Davidson Tip-off set 7:30 pm

South Carolina will play again on Friday at 7:30 p.m. (ET) and face Davidson (3-1) on ESPNNews in the consolation bracket. Jay Alter (pxp) and Debbie Antonelli (analyst) will remain on the call for the broadcast.

Davidson has gone off the radar since Steph Curry left, but it would still be a good win for us.

Any win would be a good win but I know what you mean. Need to regroup and play well in this one.

Davidson has gone off the radar since Steph Curry left, but it would still be a good win for us.

They spent one more season post-Stephen in the Southern Conference, then moved up to the Atlantic 10 conference, which meant a stronger conference schedule, and no more requirement of having to win their conference tournament to get into the NCAAT. They have won one A-10 conference tournament since moving up, but also won two regular-season conference titles, and as a result have reached three NCAATs as a A-10 member. The last appearance was last season, when they won 27 games on the season: they lost in the 1st RD.

Davidson's longtime head coach Bob McKillop, who coached Curry, coached his final season last season. He has retired, and his son now is Davidson's HC - Matt McKillop was a assistant under his father at Davidson for 8 years before taking over the reins. Davidson is 2-1 after losing badly to College of Charleston 89-66 yesterday in their tournament opener. They aren't as good of a team as Colorado St., but they still have some NCAAT experience on their roster, and if we turn in another dud like we did yesterday, we could have 2 losses in a row this season. Lets hope Davidson turns in their 2nd straight dud......

I would be worried after yesterday's blow-out loss if we hadn't beat Clemson because Brownell has made them a consistently good program the past few years.

Nice 13-2 run to close out the 1st half, punctuated with the 3-ptr in the final seconds by Chico Carter. Chico is 4-5 from behind the 3pt arc. Gamecocks lead Davidson 29-25 at the half......

Two things have to happen:
1.) Play better defense (which is set up by good offense).
2.) Tell GG to stay on the blocks and forget being outside the arc for now. Davidson can’t handle his skills and he could score at will if he can catch the ball down low.

I usually flake out on Friday evenings, so I listened to the some of the first half, took a nap, then turned it back on a few minutes into the second half when our shooting got cold, then turned it off the rest of the night.

This is essentially a new team and Lamont has probably been letting the guys play loose to see what they can actually do in a real game before adding more structure on game day.

The team has good chemistry and comradery, though, and I am confident we can improve instead of going over the side of the cliff the rest of the season.

We've got a tough learning curve. It was unrealistic for anyone to expect greatness after this team was blown up and then all new players were thrown together. We're going to need to exercise a great deal of patience this season. However, we should expect to see progress...improvement as the season plays out.

We've got a tough learning curve. It was unrealistic for anyone to expect greatness after this team was blown up and then all new players were thrown together. We're going to need to exercise a great deal of patience this season. However, we should expect to see progress...improvement as the season plays out.
TRUE, but what could have been... we should blow up the football team and act like Bryant, Couisnard and GG would not have been great under Martin and continue this pattern for another 50 years because rebuilding is always better, that grass is always greener and us fans always know more... GO COCKS!!
I think you are right about Coach Paris letting them play loose, learn on the fly on offense through each other while trying to concentrate on defense. They are learning to communicate and remember are being led by a 17 year old budding superstar feeling his way through college ball...