Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MBB roster gaps to fill next season

It looks like we're going to have some SRs competing for starting spots this season, which is a good thing given our dismal record last season.

We will be very athletic and long next year, the only players under 6'6 are Meechie if he returns, Cooper, Jacobi and Eli...
Meechie, Cooper and Jacobi would have a plethora of 6'6-6'8 wings with a very athletic scorer in Dibba; a year older athletic get to the basket passer in Davis- hope he works on his his mid range pull up; drop dead shooter in Stute; banger, hustler, set hard picks in BBV(the little stuff); rim protector, control the block and bang in Gray(could be al SEC defense); athletic young Conyers reminds me of Davis as a High School SR with a better off the dribble shot, he can gaurd 1-3 and Broyles has an SEC body at 6'7 220 athletic enough to gaurd anyone on the court with a decent handle and shot but shows the ability to finish in traffic.

I hope Meechie returns and Mack commits to allow Davis and Wright time at PG but us not to have to rely on them, while Mack allows BBV to do the dirty work on defense/glass but we do not rely on him...

Updated to include Morris Ugusuk (assuming he is 2023 class) and BJ Mack.

If Meechie withdraws from the draft, we are at the scholarship limit.

I am cautiously optimistic for next year now. I think we've got a good mix of experience and youth. I think we'll be more competitive while laying the foundation for future success at the same time.

My perception is the Euro guys we had with Frank were not as aggressive as they needed to be in SEC games as the seasons wore on.

They have the athleticism and skill to play for the national teams in their respective countries when they finish here, but they tend to cave into the intimidation against good opponents. They are good, but the lack of hunger to get to the NBA works against them in college games.

Sadly, that would also apply to most all of our other players in recent years as well. LOL

We have to play A LOT better this year.

My perception is the Euro guys we had with Frank were not as aggressive as they needed to be in SEC games as the seasons wore on.

They have the athleticism and skill to play for the national teams in their respective countries when they finish here, but they tend to cave into the intimidation against good opponents. They are good, but the lack of hunger to get to the NBA works against them in college games.

Sadly, that would also apply to most all of our other players in recent years as well. LOL

We have to play A LOT better this year.

You are seeing big time why canning Martin was a good idea. With the wide open portal now players just arent gonna stick around for a guy like Frank Martin

And yet, there are players from both last year's and this year's team leaving the Gamecocks to go play with him. I was ready to try another coach at the end of his 10 years in Columbia, but I never doubted Frank's investment and commitment to his players. It might have been tough love for some, but it was love nonetheless. And for most of his players, that love was mutual.

You are seeing big time why canning Martin was a good idea. With the wide open portal now players just arent gonna stick around for a guy like Frank Martin
And a Gamecock transfers to UMASS, a few followed him to UMASS, some great players stuck around for Frank Martin, Seventh Woods transfered to South Carolina before transferring was 😎 and I see no need to bad mouth the only coach to win an NCAA Tourney game in my lifetime.... he is at UMASS, wish him luck as he is in a very small club of coaches to leave South Caroliba and get a job. Hope he has success but loses to us! It shows the growth in our program from Foglers succes, Frank's Final Four run to go with our pledge in facilities as well as Dawn that we were able to move on from one talented coach to another as well as the job Coach Tanner has done with the Athletic Department...

And yet, there are players from both last year's and this year's team leaving the Gamecocks to go play with him. I was ready to try another coach at the end of his 10 years in Columbia, but I never doubted Frank's investment and commitment to his players. It might have been tough love for some, but it was love nonetheless. And for most of his players, that love was mutual.

hes a disaster at Umass with everyone leaving after 1 year with him. The guys that followed him there weren't SEC quality anyway, which is why Umass finished with 6 conference wins

Can we give the UMass / Frank Martin discussion a rest? Like it or not, that was over a year ago. He's moved on, we've moved on.

Let talk about coach Paris and our team.

Last edited:
hes a disaster at Umass with everyone leaving after 1 year with him. The guys that followed him there weren't SEC quality anyway, which is why Umass finished with 6 conference wins
Yeah, one team finished .500 in conference last year and only won 4 games this year while the other won 7 last year and 6 this year, your right 🙄 I'll stop now! One had 3 players follow him to his new school...

Coach Paris built a foundation and framed it in last year, he is roughing it in on the recruiting trail and finishing it in the transfer portal while trying to furnish it and make it a home this summer... I love the length, experience, athleticism, shooting and scoring/basketball IQ he brought in to go with what he had already cultivated...