Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More on Jovaughn Gwyn, Josh Vann and Israel Mukuamu

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
More on Jovaughn Gwyn, Josh Vann and Israel Mukuamu

August 09, 2017

More on Jovaughn Gwyn

Three-star offensive guard Jovaughn Gwyn is ranked by the 247Sports composite as the No. 2 overall offensive lineman in North Carolina. Nationally, in the Class of 2018, Gwyn is ranked as the No. 23 guard.

“Jovaughn Gwyn, he’s the most athletic big man you’ll ever see in your life. The man can broad jump over 9 feet; I think it’s like 9-4, but he’s over 300 pounds,” Harding University High School coach Sam Greiner said. “He’s the strongest human being alive in high school, I believe. He bench presses well over 400 pounds. … He’s super explosive.

“He’s one of those guys, you look at him, you think he weighs 260 pounds, but he weighs [close to] 300. He’s just very lean, very strong, very athletic, very gifted. He’d be the No. 1, top 5 recruit in the world if he was, dadgum, over 6-foot-4. It would be a no-brainer. He’s 6-2.5, barely, so that’s the problem.”

At The Opening stop in his hometown of Charlotte, N.C., Gwyn was measured at 6-2 and weighed in at 296 pounds. He ran a respectable 5.28 seconds in the 40-yard-dash and a 5.07 in the shuttle. His power ball toss was 33 feet and he jumped almost 28 inches in the vertical.

Gwyn earned an invite to The Opening finals after a strong performance during the camp portion of the Charlotte event.

South Carolina is a finalist with Duke and North Carolina State, but he’s got plenty of Power 5 offers, including Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Gwyn was first offered by the Wolfpack. That might be enough to help push him toward a commitment later this month. Greiner said N.C. State’s staff told him that he would immediately compete for a starting spot at right guard.

“It just depends on how I’m feeling before that first game comes, so it’s either before or after,” Gwyn said. “But it won’t be too long after."

Too much contact?

Four-star wide receiver Josh Vann told SEC Country earlier this year that he wasn’t a fan of the long phone calls with college coaches. South Carolina co-offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach Bryan McClendon recognized that.

“You could talk to any [prospect] who’s getting recruited by ‘B-Mac’ and they’ll probably laugh,” Vann said. “He’ll try to get to know you and try to become close. He’s not like any other coach that just talks and tries to get you on the phone.

“He tells me that he’s been through the process. Doesn’t want to bother you too much. Just tries to get you on the phone every now and then. He just tries to connect with you in different ways possible.”

Fast-forward to August. Earlier this week, the 4-star wide receiver from Tucker (Ga.) High School said that’s still case during an interview with Phil Kornblut.

“South Carolina told me from Day 1 that they wouldn’t be hitting me up every day, and I kind of like that,” Vann said. “I hear from them every so often. Coach Muschamp, he hits me up every once in a while. It’s not an everyday thing.

“Georgia hits me up almost like every day now. I feel like that’s kind of weird. They weren’t hitting me up like they do now until I came back from The Opening. They hit me up more. They want me bad so they hit me up like almost every day.”

Vann will announce a commitment to South Carolina or Georgia within the next few weeks.

Still waiting

South Carolina remains in pursuit of 3-star safety Israel Mukuamu, who committed to Florida State late last month.

Maybe the Gamecocks coaches are looking for payback from the last recruiting cycle, when the Seminoles flipped longtime safety commitment Hamsah Nasirildeen.

“They’re pretty much telling they want me bad, come play for the home state and telling me how they can develop me and how they develop players that are in the NFL right now,” said Mukuamu during an interview with Kornblut. “They accepted my commitment, but they said they are still going to come after me until Signing Day.”

In addition to Florida State and South Carolina, Mukuamu said he also plans to take official visits to Georgia, Indiana and possibly Louisville.