Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Scout plant coming to Richland County

Blitzkrieg

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash

I'm all for jobs coming to the Midlands (and SC) but a question I have is where in the hell are they going to find 4000 employees to man this place? Trane has a coil plant off of Killian Road and I know for a fact that they have a terrible time finding enough folks to work at the plant.

I worked for Trane (not at the coil plant) for 10 years and they are an excellent company to work for in terms of pay and benefits.

Between all the Stuff that Boeing and Volvo got going on down near Charleston I was surprised Hyundai went there, but like Longhaul said, they are building houses like crazy for all the Yankees moving down here.
Blythewood has already been swelling. Watch it when you need housing for 4000 more people. Yes, some people from other communities around the state willl move there for work, but there will still be a lot of out of state people come in.
Living right across the river in Aiken, I see what that has done to the politics in Georgia. I guess you bring enough in and SC might be changing parties in the elections like GA did.

The local fast food places around here are having trouble finding people, too.

I personally could do with a job change right now, but all you keep hearing is recession this, that, or the other from the news folks.

Lay-offs usually happen from December through February/March before performance reviews. Maybe folks are waiting for that to pass, too.

They announce a new factory every week in the upstate, although nothing that big since BMW. They all have staffing issues and all are constantly hiring and searching for workers. Both skilled and production workers are harder to find than ever. People are moving here in droves to fill all the plastic houses and apartments they're throwing up overnight. Not much is being done to improve the roads, schools, and other infrastructure though.

It used too be this was good news but up is down and down is up anymore... Anything positive about 4K jobs? Industrial coming back to America, SC is positive?

It used too be this was good news but up is down and down is up anymore... Anything positive about 4K jobs? Industrial coming back to America, SC is positive?
Well it's good news if it's successful. Mack Trucks was seen as a great thing but we all know how that turned out. I retired 2 years ago as an EHS Coordinator for a commercial HVAC company.

Our customer base included most of the major hospitals in metro Columbia as well as many factories, large office/medical offices and large Federal Government facilities.

I visited these sites on a regular basis to coordinate site specific safety training issues as well as ensuring our service techs were adhering to established company safety standards.

I heard the same story from every facility we serviced. We can't find/get enough floor workers, plumbers, electricians, maintenance workers, mechanics, warehouse workers, forklift drivers etc etc etc.

I hope the Scout plant is a huge success and does to the Midlands what BMW has done to the Upstate. I just can't help but wonder (based on my experience over the last 20 years) of where they're going to find 4k workers.

very good news! Nice to see this coming to South Carolina...I agree about the workers. I know that our local high school just did a signing day for the kids who are going into trade schools (as opposed to athletics) as a way to get so mover coverage. My local town has a chemical factory that has over 10,5K employees so the corp makes a huge push in the local high schools to attract talent...I wonder if this type of thing happens around other factories, etc?