Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice ESPN Article on the Hilinski family

Ivan Maisel obviously has unique insight to write about the Hilinski's and he does it well.  Hopefully this year will be a year of celebration and remembrance of all of the good about the ones missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think is what sets him apart from Jake. He has that mental part of the game in a better place than Jake. The way the family came together and whatever it is they do to handle it in their private time has set this kid apart. 

Ivan Maisel obviously has unique insight to write about the Hilinski's and he does it well.  Hopefully this year will be a year of celebration and remembrance of all of the good about the ones missing.
I wasn't aware of the unfortunate 'insight' Maisel does have until after looking into it:

"Maisel's son, Max, went missing and was last seen on Sunday, February 22, 2015 leaving his apartment complex in Rochester, NY. On Friday, April 18, 2015 a body matching Max Maisel's description was found in Lake Ontario. On April 21, 2015 Max's body was positively identified. Max was a junior professional photographic illustration student at RIT. Maisel would later say "circumstantial evidence" pointed to suicide as the cause of Max's death."

Ever parent's absolute worst nightmare...I cannot imagine

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't aware of the unfortunate 'insight' Maisel does have until after looking into it:

"Maisel's son, Max, went missing and was last seen on Sunday, February 22, 2015 leaving his apartment complex in Rochester, NY. On Friday, April 18, 2015 a body matching Max Maisel's description was found in Lake Ontario. On April 21, 2015 Max's body was positively identified. Max was a junior professional photographic illustration student at RIT. Maisel would later say "circumstantial evidence" pointed to suicide as the cause of Max's death."

Ever parent's absolute worst nightmare...I cannot imagine
Yea I believe I saw a special involving both families and the unfortunate bond they shared. Pretty moving stuff

Nice story.  I think Ryan seems more mature and poised than a freshman.  I guess we will see how he does against real competition, but I think he has a bright future. 

The South Carolina offense didn't commit a single penalty all day: no motion penalties, no delays, no lining up incorrectly. No confusion.

And no punts, either.
Ryan is mature enough to have given a eulogy for a South Carolina student who died by suicide two weeks ago. Ryan didn't know the student who died, but he knew the student's friends, and they asked, and he wanted to help.
Kelly couldn't believe the traffic and hullabaloo around Williams-Brice on Saturday morning, four hours before kickoff. "Thousands upon thousands of South Carolina fans, lining up everywhere, screaming at God knows what, cussing out Clemson fans," Kelly said. "It's 8 in the morning!"
To celebrate Ryan's first start, his extended family converged onto the South Carolina campus from New England, from Miami, from Sonoma County. At dinner Saturday night, in the 1801 Grille on campus, the Hilinski party of 12 talked up a storm. The adults sat at one end of the table; Ryan, Kelly and their four first cousins at the other.

As they waited for their food, Ryan took a knife, clinked it against his ice-water glass, stood, and turned toward the table.

"I want to thank you for coming," he said. "It meant a lot. I know this is tough for everyone, but Tyler's here with us." He paused, and the grin on his face stretched a little wider. "Let's beat Bama."
Stuff like this is contagious and spreads to the rest of the team.