Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No College Football This Fall

Hoganman1

Fanatics Cash
My apologies for being negative, but I just don't see how we are going to have college football this year. The virus is growing daily over a large part of the country with no relief in sight. I truly hate this because I love the game and I was very optimistic about the Gamecocks chances this Fall. I hope I'm wrong. 

I think it's a real possibility. I was hoping the virus would die down this summer. But it's picking up steam. 

Sports teams all around have players testing positive. NBA, College football, MLS. 

Yeah I think we all pretty much expect the season to be cancelled or postponed or something like that. It's a shame, but it's probably for the best, all things considered. 

I wonder how that will work with coaching contracts, player eligibility, the NFL draft, etc. etc. 

Yeah its not going to happen. And I think it makes sense at this point. 

Back to watching the cornhole championships. 

Yep - I'll be surprised if there's any FB this fall at the college or high school levels.  Still holding out hope for some quick improvements.  It will be interesting to see what this does for recruiting, recruit rankings, eligibility, transfers and such.  Maybe there will be some positives come out of this that we're just not seeing yet.

Yep - I'll be surprised if there's any FB this fall at the college or high school levels.  Still holding out hope for some quick improvements.  It will be interesting to see what this does for recruiting, recruit rankings, eligibility, transfers and such.  Maybe there will be some positives come out of this that we're just not seeing yet.
Well I can think of one.  The taters won't win another NC.

I think the numbers that we are seeing now were inevitable, you are not going to stop the spread of a virus that can be spread asymptomatically but you can slow it down and protect the most vulnerable until we know more about the virus or have an antibody. Having new positives is no reason to be alarmed, the percentage of deaths and hospitalizations has decreased dramatically and if we continue to see this we will see football IMO

Do you think you are in more danger of catching the virus in public, Walmart, grocery store, work, gas station... than a controlled environment of controlled personnel that are monitored and tested regularly?  

It is so hard to say.  I've sat in on a few sessions listening about how they will handle student populations where my son goes to college and I just have a hard time following how when this thing hits a team that it will not decimate most of the roster.  Most teams I've heard about will have 10-20 guys come down with it, but many have already had this happen and that may be the only thing that keeps this from happening in the middle of a season.  If it hits a team during the season I don't see any way they can continue to play.  Strange times we find ourselves living through. 

I honestly did not expect the virus to play out as long as it has.

Players shouldn't be on the field if students aren't on campus.  It would look bad given the mood in the country right now.

I think we will see a reverse of last year, with football being affected this time and basketball having a decent season assuming we will have a handle on the virus by then.  Realistically basketball would have no pre-conference games and they would have to go straight into conference play without the November and December OOC games.

IDK.  The moon is cheese.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my doubts that college football will be played.  I hope it is, but I just wonder how they can travel and control the virus among the teams and staff.  I think when baseball, hockey and basketball start up (if they do), that will be a real indicator of how things may go for college football.

I think both Universities / Colleges and primary education need very strong plans in place to have in person learning.  Not saying it cannot be done in some fashion, but it can't be, just go back to school and everything will be fine.  We all know that keeping kids and young adults social distancing, wearing masks, washing hands will be tough.  Then you add sports and those people may be exposed to it more and then spread it on a campus.  I have been working from home since March and I think I will be home for the rest of the year. 

Even if college football tries conference only play, they still have to travel and be around each other and the other team.  Not sure how that would work very well.

I’ll be surprised if the NFL plays a full season. But no way to college football. 

they're still trying to make it work fwiw.  We'll see what happens.  I think it'll be played even if the stadium only has 20k, 15k, or none at all.  That TV $ can really bail out the athletic department which will be bleeding red if there's no football. 

they're still trying to make it work fwiw.  We'll see what happens.  I think it'll be played even if the stadium only has 20k, 15k, or none at all.  That TV $ can really bail out the athletic department which will be bleeding red if there's no football. 
I agree.  No football means that’s 75% of all the other sports will cease to be.