Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our failed policy on recruiting (non)commitments

picknroll

Regal Premier Gamecock
Fanatics Cash
I detest PHLEGMson more than anything anywhere, but when a kid commits to their football program he clearly understands that his recruitment is over and that he will not make other visits to or talk to the coaches of other schools or their scholarship offer will be revoked. That is smart. Our coaches give kids a one way commitment - we commit to them so they have a Major Div 1 spot all locked up but they are still free to shop around just in case they get a better opportunity. The way we conduct business associates no value to recruits - they might as well commit to us. Why not? They aren't committed to anything and there are no consequences to them if they shop around. Arden Key and seven other players decided to jilt us just in the last recruiting class. Who replaced them? JUCOS and misfits for the most part. This policy needs to change. With every single coach a kid talks to warning them about our coaching staff instability, you can bet there will be flips.

Frankly, Steve Spurrier has no boss. Our Athletics Dept has no boss - just an ex baseball coach who cowers in fear of the OBC. His balls are all drawn up into his lungs by now he's so timid. I've already stated before that our recruiting is going to be tailing off every year. Kids will flip because of the uncertainty of Spurrier's future and that uncertainty is going to grow, not fade. No succession plan is in place.We're going over Niagara Falls without even a barrel. Meanwhile Tanner just sits back with his toothy grin going "yuk yuk yuk...wuddo I do boss? Huhhhh?" Baseball's getting clobbered by every team in the state and losing home conference series.... "UHHH yuk yuk yuk.... wuddo I do boss?"

And this is the sick pattern that has repeated itself over and over ad nauseum over the last 60 years. Our Board of Trustees have no accountability for their decisions so they feel free to hire goofballs like King Dixon orTanner who have absolutely no credentials to run this program because they think Spurrier is a God and they want an AD who won't rock the boat with him when what we need a hardboiled, independent thinking AD who is every coaches boss and who is responsible for making tough decisions in the best long term interests of the program. That is simply not happening.
deadhorse.gif

rolleye0018_r191677.gif

default_rant.gif

default_loco.gif

default_facepalm.gif

Surprised there has been no discussion of this topic pro or con. Nevertheless, it has been on my mind and I continue to wonder how much extra time and effort are consumed just trying to hold on to exisiting (non)commitments which could and probably should be allocated to the pursuit of other prospects. I think all that is needed is a discussion with the recruit about the meaning of commitment and explaining what it costs us if he changes his mind. They should be aware that if they take other visits or talk to coaches from other schools that their scholarship offer will be revoked immediately. Somehow they commit to us though and they still think it's conditional and it shouldn't be that way.  

Very interesting seems Spurrier has his way, feels like are AD has trouble dealing with coaches. Needs to show some backbone.

It's shocking to me that he has no backbone for this job. Apparently he has some kind of inferiority complex or something.

The AD can't be friends and golfing buddies with all the coaches. He's got to be the boss. And he can't ignore huge mistakes like Spurrier's "2 or 3 more years" comment, which was really Tanner's fault because he and Spurrier should have already had some kind of concrete understanding about Spurrier's transition to retirement prior to Spurrier making that statement. Yes, a good AD should try to shape the future of the program and plan for every contingency with regards to personnel. That ain't happening, folks, and if you think our competition isn't talking up the confusion around here then you aren't thinking a whole lot.

You so correct picknroll, Cannot be friends with coaches, will not work out ..........