Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Punter Mason Love commits to Gamecocks

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Punter Mason Love commits to Gamecocks​

June 12, 2023

1686611165695.pngCoach Beamer sent out a pair of commitment alerts Monday related to prospects who made official visits over the weekend. One was claimed later Monday afternoon as punter Mason Love (6-0 175) of Parkville, MO announced his commitment to the Gamecocks. He chose USC over Cal-Berkeley.

Gamecock special teams coordinator Pete Lembo had evaluated a couple of other punters before getting serious about Love. He watched the video and then went out to see him in person. After that, Lembo made the decision that Love was the punter he wanted for the 2024 class.

“That workout was probably one of the best workouts I’ve had in front of a coach,” Love said recently. “The next week he had a couple of people up for a workout. He said if after those workouts we realize you’re our top guy, we can have you up for an official visit. I’m just lucky that happened and it worked out great.”

Lembo has built the Gamecock special teams into a national brand with their execution and tendency to run fakes. Love said that was a very appealing aspect of the Gamecock program.

“They were number one in special teams in the country, which is huge, especially for a punter,” Love said. “I know that his team works. Had a couple of fake punts, which I like to hear. I played quarterback my freshman year, so hopefully we can do a couple of plays if I end up going there. It’s appealing and I like the fact he’s so invested in it, and so is Coach Beamer.”

Last season Love averaged 44.5 yards per punt with a long of 55 yards. He gives USC 10 commitments for the 2024 class. Another weekend visitor, DE/LB Fred Johnson posted on his Instagram Monday that he would announce his commitment decision in four days.