Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rack Of Lamb - Anybody Cook It

dreammachine

Fanatics Cash
I love to cook a "rack of lamb" about once every three months and it always comes out great.  Lamb is a different taste of meat, but in many parts of the USA they love it.

So, who out there in the Gamecock Nation loves to cook lamb and how do you do it???

I love it also mutton. Hard to find around here. A long time ago some where outside DC I had mutton in a tomato stew. I still remember it as very good. Have never had it since.

Now lamb I have had fairly recent - last place was Outback hard to find too.

I love it also mutton. Hard to find around here. A long time ago some where outside DC I had mutton in a tomato stew. I still remember it as very good. Have never had it since.

Now lamb I have had fairly recent - last place was Outback hard to find too.
Mutton is the meat of choice in Kentucky - as they cook a lot of it up there.  I get my lamb chops/lamb ribs from Grice's Butcher Shop in Aiken, SC and it is not a cheap cut of meat either.  I have gotten pretty good at cooking it and we like it about every two to three months.  I cook it medium rare and let it rest a little before we eat it.  I can easily see why people would not like it as the taste of it is something that has to grow on you - unless you grew up with it.   I love it now and it is hard to find a restaurant out there that knows how to properly cook lamb now.

Besides Outback are there better restaurants for Lamb?

Are there any restaurants  at all for mutton?

Besides Outback are there better restaurants for Lamb?

Are there any restaurants  at all for mutton?
Senior Rooster, it's getting harder and harder to find a place that can cook a good  rack of lamb in my parts.  We used to have the "Villi Europa" in the Southside of Augusta that is a German/American Type of Restaurant and it changed ownership from mother to daughter and new owner stop cooking it regularly and only offers it occasionally and the last time I tried it out there - it was gosh awful and expensive.

I would think that any very good Greek - Italian - maybe German Restaurant would offer it???  It has gotten to be a very pricey piece of meat to purchase or buy anymore.

If you like to grill/smoke meat - then get you a RECTEC SMOKER and you can become a Weekend Pit Master as they give you all the recipes on how to cook everything that there is.  They make them in Augusta, GA and come in all sizes.  I usually just make mine at home now as I can cook them pretty darn good.  My wife bought me the RT-700 Bull and it is awesome.  Check them out when you get a free moment.  www.rectecgrills.com  Awesome people and great service.

Kentucky BBQ uses mutton, which is old, tough , and gamey lamb.  The quintessential spot for it is the Moonlight in Owensboro.  Been there, tried it, didn't like it.   

Good young lamb is a different ball game.  Whether it is a fancy split rack or the butterflied, marinated boneless leg that I sometimes smoke and grill it can be sublime.  If you are getting chops spend the extra money and get rib chops instead of those from the shoulder.  When we had those as a child I always solved the mint jelly.  Non gourmet and pedestrian or not I still love my mint jelly with my lamb!

Kentucky BBQ uses mutton, which is old, tough , and gamey lamb.  The quintessential spot for it is the Moonlight in Owensboro.  Been there, tried it, didn't like it.   

Good young lamb is a different ball game.  Whether it is a fancy split rack or the butterflied, marinated boneless leg that I sometimes smoke and grill it can be sublime.  If you are getting chops spend the extra money and get rib chops instead of those from the shoulder.  When we had those as a child I always solved the mint jelly.  Non gourmet and pedestrian or not I still love my mint jelly with my lamb!
Spoken like a gentleman that knows his lamb!  I will always put that small jar of mint jelly on the table when I serve mine too.  I can't resist it and don't do it every bite, but I will always get me some with my lamb!!!  Bah! Bah!

Dream, I am getting too close to the bitter end to keep all of my cooking secrets to myself.  Here is one.  I melt most of a jar in some of the wine to be served with the lamb.  Here is a guide to wine pairings for lamb: https://www.matchingfoodandwine.com/news/pairings/top-wine-pairings-for-lamb/.  I add some of the same seasonings I use for the meat.  Think rosemary and cumin.  Cook this down a bit to thicken and let the flavors meld.  This minty, winey, spicy thing is now my glaze for the lamb!

Dream, I am getting too close to the bitter end to keep all of my cooking secrets to myself.  Here is one.  I melt most of a jar in some of the wine to be served with the lamb.  Here is a guide to wine pairings for lamb: https://www.matchingfoodandwine.com/news/pairings/top-wine-pairings-for-lamb/.  I add some of the same seasonings I use for the meat.  Think rosemary and cumin.  Cook this down a bit to thicken and let the flavors meld.  This minty, winey, spicy thing is now my glaze for the lamb!
Thanks Yancey for the website.  My wife loves her wine and most of the time it is Merlot or a Shiraz.  She also like a cold Chardonnay when it is hot outside or with fish.  I am more of a beer man and as Hank Jr would say "Old Jim Beam" at times.

Lamb is something that I have really come to like and appreciate cooking the last 7 or 8 years.  Before that I would usually go out somewhere and just order it from a restaurant that supposedly knew how to cook it, but now it is really hard in the CSRA (50 mile radius of Augusta, GA) to find a place that knows how to properly cook it and serve it.  I guess that's why I started doing it myself and much to my surprise I think I get better each time I do it (I hope I just did not jinx myself with that remark).  I know you are and continue to be an amazing pit master/chef as I have followed your posts for a long time and I am always amazed at not only what you cook, but also how knowledgeable you are about how to prepare and present your meals.  This only comes with years of experience and knowing a lot about the flavors and meats you are preparing.  Please continue to keep us all educated in not only the latest way to properly cook/grill our foods, but also in the knowledge of knowing what is the best way to purchase our meats.  I say this because of one of your old "CT Posts On Hogs" and I went and did some research and you were spot on about what type of hogs made the best BBQ.   People on this site would be advised to listen and read when you post something about how to cook different foods.  If they are wise, it will save them from making some costly mistakes on not only cooking their foods, but also in the knowledge of purchasing a quality cut of meat/fish/poultry when they go to their favorite store.

Grill On My Friend!!!