Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattler turning heads at the Saints' minicamp

Saints are a lot like us last season. Aside from Chris Olave, who went down early, they don't have a good receiving corps. That shot of Carr and Taysom Hill on the sidelines in the 4th said a lot to me. It's like they saw Spencer dealing with the same thing they have been, but he hung in there.

Those two screen pass drops by Alvin Kamara didn't help, either.

When it got chippy in the first minute of the game, I thought lack of discipline was going to cost the Saints the game. I thought the Saints OC dialed-up some good plays in the 4th, but the receivers couldn't hold onto the ball. That last pick Rattler threw is just going to happen when you're down by 3 scores late in the game.

Todd Bowles and Baker Mayfield work pretty good together. They are a legit Super Bowl team and the Saints looked that way early in the season, too. I watched the whole game. The Saints came back from a 17-0 deficit and scored 27 points in the 2nd quarter with Rattler under center. Rattler just happened to get his first start against one of the best teams in the NFL right now. Bucs have a pretty good defense, too.

I think the receivers will adjust to his passes and the Saints will get the win on Thursday.

Spencer Rattler's rough second half dampens an otherwise promising first start for the Saints (msn.com)

“We were setting the edge more with our outside guys instead of trying to drop them,” Tampa Bay coach Todd Bowles sad. “We knew if we could cut him off in the pocket and just keep him as a pocket passer, we’d have a chance to get a little pressure on him.”

Rattler received one of the loudest roars, along with star running back Alvin Kamara, during pregame introductions. The former Oklahoma and South Carolina QB drew more cheers when he completed his first pass for 27 yards.

"I don’t think we did enough around him to help him,” Saints coach Dennis Allen said of Rattler before adding he intended to start the rookie QB again Thursday against Denver. “It was hard for us to be able to run. They won the line of scrimmage. He did some things really well early in the game, but as the second half kind of went on, they started to pressure him a little bit more.”