Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SEC Commish Greg Sankey Releases Statement on Officiating

ConwayGamecock

Administrator
Fanatics Cash
The following is an official statement from Greg Sankey, Southeastern Conference Commissioner:

In his book, Gridiron Genius, NFL executive, analyst and author Michael Lombardi offers this summary of football, "After is all said and done, football is really a game of surprises."

And yet, in this game of surprises, we ask for perfection.

Perfection from our coaches and student-athletes, and perfection from the game officials who are called upon to instantly apply the rules in real time on every play.

The Southeastern Conference is entrusted with supporting an officiating program that is responsible for calling the games of our member schools. We take this duty most seriously.

We view perfection as our desired goal while also understanding it will always be an elusive standard in a game that is filled with surprises. And we are disappointed when we don't get it right. Because our goal is to get it right, every time.

While officials have always faced scrutiny, the effect has been intensified in recent years with the evolution of high-definition televisions and the ability to view super slow-motion replays from multiple angles on screens of all sizes and via replays shown on monster, crystal clear in-stadium video boards.

The rules of football permit us to utilize modern technologies to review some, but not all, officiating calls. And while some calls are overturned, we know from our extensive review of all game films that our officials get the call right in the vast, vast majority of situations. SEC Football Officials are dedicated to their work and approach each game with integrity and focus on fairly administering the competition.

But mistakes occur, and when errors happen, the next questions are, "What happens now? Where is the accountability?"

SEC officials are held accountable for the overall body of their work and the work of their officiating crew, which is reviewed on a weekly basis throughout the season and on an annual basis.

Ongoing performance evaluations are used to determine game assignments, postseason assignments, compensation levels and ultimately, whether an official is invited to return for the following season. You can learn more here.

In addition, during the season, officials' assignments may be altered based on in-season performance. By protocol, the SEC does not publicly announce these assignment changes.

SEC Bylaws require that coaches and administrators refrain from public criticism of officials, as well as making public comments about any specific communications with the Conference office related to officiating. This is a bylaw that was enacted by unanimous vote of the SEC's member institutions and it is the responsibility of the Conference office to enforce this bylaw by use of private or public reprimands, fines or suspensions.

Although the Conference office does not publicly communicate about personnel actions and school personnel are restricted in their comments about officiating, we did decide in the offseason to be more intentional in communicating other matters about the officiating process to all of our audiences:

• We invited national media to participate as guest officials at a spring football game. You can find their perspectives on their officiating experiences in stories linked here.
  • We launched a website -- www.secsports.com/officiating -- to provide background on SEC officiating, including an in-depth look at how we recruit, train, assign and evaluate SEC officials.
  • We created a Twitter account -- @SECOfficiating -- to educate and inform fans about our officiating program. We view it as a tool for additional perspective on officiating and rules applications, but as I said at SEC Media Days in July, we have no intention of tweeting all day on Saturdays about individual calls.
  • Veteran SEC official Matt Austin moved into the TV studio to offer expert analysis and rules interpretations in real-time on game days. Matt is not an employee of the SEC and is able to provide his independent perspective through various ESPN platforms, but primarily through the SEC Network. The SEC is the only conference to have an officiating analyst specifically assigned to its conference network.
  • The SEC Network produced educational episodes of SEC Film Room featuring SEC Coordinator of Officials Steve Shaw and host Matt Stinchcomb to analyze key plays and rule changes prior to the 2019 season. These episodes can be found here.
  • A portion of the October 15 episode of SEC Inside on the SEC Network was dedicated to a day in the life of an SEC officiating crew.
I hope you will take advantage of these resources to gain a better understanding about the SEC Officiating program as we all continue to seek elusive perfection in this game of surprises that we love -- college football.

https://www.secsports.com/article/27911146/sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-sec-officiating

The tl;dr version: it is what it is.

My thoughts:

The game has evolved over the decades: athletes are far more athletic, bigger, stronger, faster. The schemes and execution are far more fine-tuned, meticulous.

And the implementation of technology, especially in video replays and high-definition slow-motion video technology has also evolved, giving everyone a better opportunity to see just how the execution takes place.

The officiating has sat stuck in the 1950s - and as more and more officiating calls are being shown to be flawed, the simple excuse of "human error" is looking more antiquated. First off, "human error" - while an obvious imperfection we all have to deal with in life - isn't and shouldn't be some sort of "get out of jail free" card to use to keep the game flawed, if not corrupt.

The NCAA and conferences should be stressing to raise the bar even as the sport raises it. Now there is existing technology out there that shows the officials making mistakes in key moments of games on a constant basis, and the authorities are refusing to take full advantage of it.

Why? The referee is supposed to be there to keep the games honest for both teams - if they are failing at their purpose, then why are they even an element in the equation?

The only thing left to consider, is for control of the outcomes of the games, to the pleasure of someone else other than the football teams. Totally replacing those erred humans with better-performing technology totally eliminates that control.....

If the technology is already out there, and is being widely utilized by others in a way that shows the imperfections, then it should be the responsibility of the authorities of the various sports to utilize it thoroughly. The argument that the flaws and imperfections in the game are endearing, is disingenuous IMO, if those flaws come from the refereeing of the games. Flaws from the players, from the plays, from the execution: yes, that's OK. That's the "to err is human" aspect that should be acceptable. But to simply say, "we know the officiating is wrong, and we are able to correct it, but we won't just because" is simply a form/definition of corruption, to my thinking....

Last edited by a moderator:
As it stands now all touchdowns are reviewed.  I know that is to assure the call of the actual touchdown, but it would be great if something like that 35 yard hold or the blatant block could also be reviewed as part of that process, but I know that would probably open up a huge can of worms with people wanting them to dissect every player like a lineman for a hold or other so I guess that would not work.  Maybe allow the coach to use his challenge like they do on other plays and if he wants to use a challenge on that he can.  

As it stands now all touchdowns are reviewed.  I know that is to assure the call of the actual touchdown, but it would be great if something like that 35 yard hold or the blatant block could also be reviewed as part of that process, but I know that would probably open up a huge can of worms with people wanting them to dissect every player like a lineman for a hold or other so I guess that would not work.  Maybe allow the coach to use his challenge like they do on other plays and if he wants to use a challenge on that he can.  
I don't think it is at all unreasonable for all scoring plays to be reviewed for any possible uncalled penalties that would have negated the play.  That is where we are with the state of officiating these days. 

As for Sankey's statement - allow me to summarize - Shut up or we'll fine you.  

I have never seen someone use more words to say absolutely nothing related to the actual point of the letter. Reminds me of my paper writing days in school lol

I hope you will take advantage of these resources to gain a better understanding about the SEC Officiating program as we all continue to seek elusive perfection in this game of surprises that we love -- college football.
Elusive perfection gtfo...how is it elusive if millions of people can see it clear as day? 

Perfection? Not a single person asked for perfection. We asked for what was right. The right thing is admitting your faults, calling a spade a spade, and giving us hope you will do better. I'm sorry but the NFL has gone out of their way to review calls post-game and correctly say/interpret what they should have been, why are these guys special?

Athletic Director Ray Tanner has a response - he was on Jay Philips' and Tommy Moody's Halftime Show radio broadcast on 107.5 The Game this afternoon.

He basically says that he understands the fans' emotions and frustration with the Florida game and missed calls, and he's frustrated as well. He essentially defends the SEC's process for officiating, and talks about the process for evaluating officials and that some officials are not asked back the next year if they do a poor job. He says that evaluation "is not for public consumption", meaning it's done behind SEC Office closed doors and not subject to fan-base scrutiny during the season. He compared that with the situation of coaches and players who ARE open to fan-base and media scrutiny immediately after tough losses, and have to answer tough questions after emotional losses, and how that adds to fan-base frustrations that officials are not open to the same scrutiny.

Coach Tanner stated he's in discussion with the SEC Office on what steps can be done to improve officiating, but that he's not in a position to do much more than that, and the program has to move on:

"I don’t want to sit here and blame everyone in the world for everything. I’m a competitor. I don’t like what happened. It’s not easy to take, it’s not easy to digest. It’s very frustrating."

https://southcarolina.n.rivals.com/news/tanner-addresses-sec-s-response-on-officiating?utm_content=buffer2bfee&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

From what I've seen on Twitter, this very crew has been involved in questionable calls/no-calls in games where the ranked team squeaked by against the unranked team.  Below are just a couple of the instances noted.  

But don't say anything or we'll fine you.  

Tweet 2.JPG

Tweet 1.JPG

Heath Cline's response to this lame little letter is by far the best collection of words to ever come out of his mouth. 

http://www.1075thegame.com/644624-2/
giphy.gif

I don't think it is at all unreasonable for all scoring plays to be reviewed for any possible uncalled penalties that would have negated the play.  That is where we are with the state of officiating these days. 

Sometimes paying a fine would be worth the f*@k you it would be saying!

About all I got out of that was....

SEC Bylaws require that coaches and administrators refrain from public criticism of officials, as well as making public comments about any specific communications with the Conference office related to officiating. This is a bylaw that was enacted by unanimous vote of the SEC's member institutions and it is the responsibility of the Conference office to enforce this bylaw by use of private or public reprimands, fines or suspensions.

...that Champ might get reprimanded, fined, or suspended because of his comments from Sunday. I bet this is the answer he was waiting to hear, not!

that arkansas florida game in 2009 was so bad it was comedy.  iirc florida offensive lineman dives at arkansas defender's legs after a play is already over, arkansas player reacts quickly and is able to shove the florida player aside before he makes contact.  whistle blown, unsportsmanlike conduct on arkansas.    well done heath cline, thanks cocky0.

Yeah I guess the point that I was making is that if the refs are not honest they could go back and call back any play they want as they could probably call holding on any play they want to and may be able to find some form of it on any play they want so not sure I want to get too deep in analyzing everything about the plays.  I’ve never really felt like the refs were dishonest, just not very good at times, this weekend really made me start thinking that they had an agenda to get at least GA or FL to the end with one loss

I have never seen someone use more words to say absolutely nothing related to the actual point of the letter. Reminds me of my paper writing days in school lol
This was absolutely a garbage statement and quite frankly insulting.  Don’t talk down to us as if we are children.  

It’s not unrealistic to expect an official to see a lineman jump up way before everyone else.  A middle school ref could see that. 

He’s saying they have processes in place and they will take care of it, so we (the lowly peons) should chill the F out and let the big boys handle it.  BS!!!  That’s the whole point, Greg, you aren’t taking care of it.  It continues to happen and appears to be getting worse.  Teams are losing games over this crap.  If there is accountability then why does the officiating still suck so bad.  Do better, or you yourself should be held accountable, Mr SEC Commissioner.  And don’t ever talk down to us like that again. 

Yeah I guess the point that I was making is that if the refs are not honest they could go back and call back any play they want as they could probably call holding on any play they want to and may be able to find some form of it on any play they want so not sure I want to get too deep in analyzing everything about the plays.  I’ve never really felt like the refs were dishonest, just not very good at times, this weekend really made me start thinking that they had an agenda to get at least GA or FL to the end with one loss
I think if they added specific criteria as to what can lead to negating the play, i.e. false start, offensive holding/PI, it could possibly work.

But let's be real here, it's not going to happen.  At least not in our lifetime.