Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Carolina Basketball: 2019-20 season preview for the Gamecocks

ShepCock

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
By Brian Rauf - Fansided

South Carolina basketball is hoping to build on last year’s 4th-place finish in the SEC. Here is how the Gamecocks look going into the new season.

Following their surprise Final Four run in 2017, South Carolina basketball has been remarkably average. They hold a 33-32 overall record in the two seasons since, including an 18-18 mark in SEC play.

This offseason was also filled mostly with news about players who will not be playing for the program this coming season.

The Gamecocks landed UNC transfer Seventh Woods, a Columbia native, but he will have to sit out a season due to transfer rules (he was not a graduate transfer). Chris Silva, South Carolina’s leading scorer, rebounder, and shot-blocker from a year ago, signed with the Miami Heat as an undrafted free agent. Hassani Gravett, their starting point guard, signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Orlando Magic.

That said, things appear to be on the upswing for this Gamecocks program. AJ Lawson and Keyshawn Bryant emerged as reliable contributors during their freshmen seasons, with Lawson flashing the potential to be a star in the SEC. Six of their top 10 scorers are back, giving this group a good bit of continuity.

The Gamecocks program has made some underrated strides under Martin in recent years, finishing in the top four in the SEC in three of the last four seasons, a streak that includes a fourth-place finish – ahead of Auburn – last season.

Can they extend that streak in 2019-20? Here is a full season preview for the Gamecocks:

Starting lineup

Jermaine Couisnard
Point guard is South Carolina’s biggest positional question mark, and Couisnard is the program’s biggest question mark from a player perspective. He redshirted last year due to an academic issue but was the talk of the program during the offseason, as his play on the summer circuit drew significant praise from former high school teammate R.J. Barrett and many former Gamecock players.

Couisnard is more of a scorer than a passer and he may not play the traditional point guard role, but he’s too talented not to have on the court. His shooting ability and range will give the Gamecocks an element they’ve really never had under Frank Martin.

AJ Lawson
South Carolina only experimented with Lawson at point guard in short spurts last season, and we’ll probably see him split time between playing on and off-ball this season. At 6-6, he averaged 13.4 points, 4.3 rebounds, and a team-high 2.9 assists in 30.5 minutes per game last year, showcasing tremendous all-around ability.

Originally ranked in the top 40 of the 2019 recruiting class, Lawson reclassified to 2018 to play for the Gamecocks last season. His lack of physical maturity limited him somewhat and now, with a full offseason in SC’s training program under his belt, Lawson could take a huge step forward as a sophomore.

Justin Minaya
Minaya was one of South Carolina’s best players when he was a freshman in 2017-18 and was expected to have a big role last year, but a knee injury caused him to take a medical redshirt after just five games. He’s a smooth, smart player who can shoot and rebound at an effective clip.

Keyshawn Bryant
Keyshawn Bryant is a lanky 6-5, 200-pound athlete capable of pulling off the spectacular.

That athleticism allowed him to make contributions as a slasher, finisher, and rim protector, but his lack of shooting (20.7 percent) kept him from being a threat of any kind outside of the paint. South Carolina will need everything he brought to the table last year (particularly defensive with Silva gone), but they also need him to improve on his perimeter skills.

Maik Kotsar
Kotsar is the lone holdover from that Final Four team, but the senior hasn’t shown much progression throughout his career. Still a solid defender, Kotsar’s offensive game remains extremely limited to where he can’t be anything more than a role player. That was a problem the past two years, but the Gamecocks have others who can pick up the offensive slack this year, which will allow Kotsar to focus more on the things he does best – defense and rebounding.

Key reserves

T.J. Moss
Moss also took a medical redshirt last season after injuring his ankle and foot after seven games of action, but the freshman showed promise during the little bit of time he was on the court. Another solid shooter, he averaged 6.3 points and 1.9 assists in 20.6 minutes per game. Expect him to be South Carolina’s sixth man if he’s not in the starting lineup.

Micaiah Henry
South Carolina is short on traditional big men and experience, and Henry can fill both of those needs off the bench. The grad transfer from Tennessee Tech stands 6-9 and 235 pounds and averaged 9.7 points and 4.7 rebounds on 58 percent shooting last season. He’ll add some needed rim protection as well (1.8 blocks per game).

Jalyn McCreary
The highest-rated recruit in South Carolina’s freshman class, McCreary is a very strong, athletic presence inside the arc at 6-7 and 225 pounds. There’s no doubting his physical tools but will likely need some time to adjust to the college game. McCreary should see more playing time – and could earn a spot in the starting lineup – as the season progresses.

Alanzo Frink
Frink played sparingly as a freshman but has the kind of versatility at 6-6 and 265 pounds that will prove to be valuable as a four-man off the bench. He showed flashes of what he can do against Virginia (nine points, eight rebounds) and Clemson (eight points, seven rebounds) last season.

Trey Anderson
Anderson was actually the lowest-rated prospect in South Carolina’s 2019 class according to the 247sports Composite, but he has quickly impressed Martin, as the head coach explained last month.

“Physically he’s a lot more prepared than I thought he was going to be. I know he can shoot it. I know he can move. We recruited him. It’s not like I saw a picture, said he looks good and send him scholarship papers. I didn’t realize physically he’s as competitive with work ethic to attack the weight room and drills. You learn more about kids when you start to coach him. There is a lot of guys you guys read about in scouting reports that when they get on the court they don’t progress as fast as they need to. He’s actually progressed extremely fast. That’s what has caught me off guard.”

His size (6-6) and shooting ability should earn him at least some time in the rotation.

Non-conference schedule

Nov. 6 — North Alabama
Nov. 10 — Wyoming
Nov. 15 — Cleveland State
Nov. 19 — Boston University
Nov. 22 — Gardner-Webb
Nov. 26 — Wichita State (Cancun Challenge)
Nov. 27 — West Virginia/Northern Iowa (Cancun Challenge)
Dec. 1 — George Washington
Dec. 4 — at UMass
Dec. 8 — Houston
Dec. 15 — at Clemson
Dec. 22 — at Virginia
Dec. 30 — Stetson

South Carolina’s lackluster non-conference play last season cost them any shot at making the NCAA Tournament, but things set up pretty nicely for them this year.

The Gamecocks start with five very winnable games (although they lost to Wyoming last year) before heading to Cancun over the Thanksgiving holiday. That four-team tournament will give South Carolina two good “measuring-stick games” no matter who they play. All four teams missed the Big Dance last year, but all return most of last season’s production are expected to take leaps forward and be firmly in the mix this season.

December games against George Washington, UMass, and Stetson should all be wins as well – a true road game against the Minutemen could get interesting – but that three-game stretch against Houston, Clemson, and Virginia is one of the toughest stretch of games the Gamecocks have all season.

Houston returns a large majority of the team that made the Sweet 16 last season and are projected to be one of the top two teams in the American Athletic Conference, along with Memphis. A home game against them gives Frank Martin’s squad a great chance to pick up a resume-building win early in the year.

Clemson is expected to be bad this year, but rivalry games on the road are always difficult.

That brings us to the biggest non-conference game on the schedule – a road game against the defending national champions. Virginia will look much different with Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome, and De’Andre Hunter, yet the Cavaliers are still expected to be a top 25 team. Plus, UVA has only lost in Charlottesville seven times in the past five seasons and will have the toughest defense the Gamecocks will face.

Season outlook

South Carolina should fully expect to make it back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since that magical 2017 Final Four run or, at the very least, be in the bubble conversation.

Martin has finally been able to restock this roster with talent after it was so depleted due to unexpected departures following that run and should be able to have success in a relatively wide open SEC behind Kentucky, Florida, and LSU.

However, there are two big questions facing this team that will determine just how successful they will be. Without Chris Silva and Hassani Gravett, the Gamecocks lack experience – will that matter? And can they find reliable, consistent point guard play?

AJ Lawson gives South Carolina their first legitimate star since Sindarius Thornwell and the combination of him, Minaya, and Bryant on the wing will give opponents plenty of matchup problems. They should be able to provide enough offense to complement what we know will be a stingy defense under Martin.

There’s a real possibility that youth and inconsistent point guard play will sink the Gamecocks and keep them out of the postseason altogether for sixth time in Martin’s tenure. At the same time, there’s also enough talent on this roster to think they should finish in the top six in the SEC, potentially finishing as high as fourth for the second straight year.

Chances are, we’ll know which direction things will go for the Gamecocks following their trip to Cancun and that tough December stretch. My guess is they fall somewhere in the middle and sneak into the NCAA Tournament as a bubble team.

Good preview. They don't even mention guards Bolden or Hannibal, or big man Leveque who also impressed this past summer camp period however, who I think should also all get solid minutes this season if not some starts. But that's a good thing - we don't really have too many players on the roster this season that are potential projects or guys expected to only find floor time in mop-up situations. They all seem like they will be able to see quality minutes as long as they remain healthy....

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, great overview.  Also Bolden, Hannibal, and Leveque deserved mention/discussion for completeness. 

My bottom line: I think we make the tournament. And as a rule, Martin does not lose in the first round.

I think only folks watching close, basically us, will be able to tell after Cancun, but the Houston, Clemson, UVA section of the schedule will be what gets national attention if it goes well for us.

We are very fortunate to have Martin.  He is a winner, a man-maker, appears to be a good man in every way.  We couldn't do better in my opinion and I am always surprised when the fan base seems to take him for granted.  I hope he never takes offense...if he does, I predict he ends up with a more pretiegious coaching job.  We don't want that to happen.

The overview above mentions Kotsar as offensively unproductive.  It's just his free throw shooting.  His F/T percentage has be so low, that I think the book on him has been to just hack him anytime he gets it offensively.  He can only stop this one way.  It would be great to see him regain his confidence at the free throw line and see his whole game.  He's been to the final four.  Tough kid.  I would love for him to have a good Sr year.  If he does, the sky is the limit for this team.  And quite possibly even if he doesn't.

It would go something like this:

Kotsar - Tough as nails Sr Big man playing well.  Knows what it takes to play deep in to March.  Leading the way.

AJ Lawson - NBA potential first rounder.

Bryant - ESPN daily Top 10 regular

Minaya - Returned to form and Leading.

Moss, Cousinard, and Frink - Experienced, know what Martin requires, and what the SEC requires.

This is rock solid even without mention of any of the new guys, and Carrera, Thornwell, and Silva were all new guys at one point.

Coach Martin says this is the most talented team he has had at USC.  That is all I need to know.

I watched Thornwell for 4 years with my own eyes, and I found myself embarrassed at the end that I had not fully recognized the privilege I had been afforded until he hit me over the head with a Final Four.  I am not going to be surprised next time, and I am hoping that it might be this time.

Many new faces this year.  We feel young to me, maybe that is just the newness.  Will they gel?  Express their talent collectively through Martins system.  If they do, it's going to be a lot of fun to be a gamecock fan this MBB season.

We are very fortunate to have Martin.  He is a winner, a man-maker, appears to be a good man in every way.  We couldn't do better in my opinion and I am always surprised when the fan base seems to take him for granted.  I hope he never takes offense...if he does, I predict he ends up with a more prestigious coaching job.  We don't want that to happen.
I could not agree more with this statement!

We know what we're getting with AJ and Keyshawn.

Not so sure about the rest until the season plays out.

I had the same thoughts as Ace regarding the point guard position and the freshmen.

Keyshawn might be taller than 6'5" (I thought he was closer to 6'7" or 6 '8" ), but that's his listed height on gamecocksonline.com

We know what we're getting with AJ and Keyshawn.

Not so sure about the rest until the season plays out.

I think we'll also be able to rely on Minaya as long as he is healthy. The injury last season was unfortunate but was one of those "it happens sometimes" type of injuries in basketball. He attempted to return from it while last season was still underway, but time was against him, and he chose to red-shirt the rest of the season after playing in only the first 5 games. His knee is reportedly 100% healed, but he chose to not participate in the summer pro-am league due to feeling his conditioning was not where it should be. But Minaya should be totally healthy and ready to go for this season.

As a freshman for the 2017-18 season, Minaya was the "star" freshman of that season, starting 30 games and averaging 7.9 ppg and 4.2 rebounds. Compare Minaya's and Bryant's freshman seasons:

Minaya: 32 gms-30 starts, .390 FG%, .364 3ptFG%, .686 FTFG% - 7.9 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.3 bpg

Bryant: 32 gms-26 starts, .454 FG%, .207 3ptFG%, .573 FTFG% - 9.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.5 bpg

Not a lot of difference there. Minaya averaged 7.4 ppg and 5.6 rpg in his 5 games last season: not a lot of sample size - he was shooting .46% from the field, but only 13% from the 3, and half of his shots were from behind the arc, so he was struggling a bit at the start, but so was most of the team last season.

I think we'll have a core group of Lawson, Bryant, Minaya, and Kotsar, and find a PG in either Bolden or Hannibal (they both can platoon to a degree), while rotating in Couisnard, Moss, Henry, and Frink early due to their maturity and experience with the college gm, and then after that work in the youngsters who pick up what Coach Martin and staff are wanting, and who adapt to the pace and physicality the quickest. That's a solid group of 10 players through Frink to start the season. Hopefully they start out hot, and get a good season going forward.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the "no mentions" have more to do with the fact that most people don't know this basketball team at all.

And while the fans and coaches know them, none of us really knows what to expect OUT of them.

I DO KNOW we will finish higher than 11th in the SEC however.  I'd bet the house on that.

I think that the "no mentions" have more to do with the fact that most people don't know this basketball team at all.

And while the fans and coaches know them, none of us really knows what to expect OUT of them.

I DO KNOW we will finish higher than 11th in the SEC however.  I'd bet the house on that.
Yes, it's a product of national writers not doing much (if any) research, except for those teams expected to be Final Four contenders. This extends beyond our program.

I did see the ESPN preview on the SEC this morning. They hate us even more than this fansided writer. The 4 writers who picked all had us at 13th in the league.