Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of the Current SEC East

B_Amazing

Fanatics Cash
Taking a look at the current SEC East division I see this as the time to begin our climb up. I have broken down each team and where I see them in the next 3-5 years.

Georgia - How many more years will they give Smart and crew to win it all.  While he isn’t loosing he isn’t delivering what they want either.  Without a SEC title in the next 2-3 year that seat is going to get very hot and Georgia will start prepping for another coach.

Florida - Can Mullen keep the momentum going?  He’s kind of in the same boat as Smart in FL won’t wait forever to win. This may be the hottest current seat in the SEC East, let’s see if that pressure of winning now gets to FL.

Kentucky - unfortunately their coming out party of sorts was against SC, the kids stood on camera saying “why not us”.  Has that luster faded considering they haven’t put it all together.  While coaches there have a longer leash than GA or FL can they substantially win and draw more recruits.

Missouri - Eli has them playing hard, with the coming additions and them possibly switching divisions/PODS can they start winning now though.  A change for them could easily hurt them.

South Carolina - With a new coaching staff I see the next 2 years being more about stability than anything. Optimism is high now and many are behind this coaching staff, if they can stabilize the ship and show the signs of heading in the right direction South Carolina could be in very good shape. Firing WM was a must for SC as fans were always waiting on the failure, it’s hard for fans to be in a spot where they don’t believe in a coach.

Tennessee - Hold The Line has to be there mantra for the next couple of years.  With what happened there and again a potential POD the coaches have to prove everything won’t crumble.  I don’t see a bright 2-3 years for them but if they can hold the line they may be ok.

Vanderbilt - While I can understand the change in coaches I don’t necessarily agree with it.  It’s a hard school to win at in general, wait and see.

Overall I think each college in the East is hoping for a POD system, Alabama coming to the East would quickly change the direction of many of the schools.  I don’t think any school in the East no matter their current standing is complacent with who they have.  Some schools will give longer ropes than others but all the coaches have something to prove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking a look at the current SEC East division I see this as the time to begin our climb up. I have broken down each team and where I see them in the next 3-5 years.

Georgia - How many more years will they give Smart and crew to win it all.  While he isn’t loosing he isn’t delivering what they want either.  Without a SEC title in the next 2-3 year that seat is going to get very hot and Georgia will start prepping for another coach.

Florida - Can Mullen keep the momentum going?  He’s kind of in the same boat as Smart in FL won’t wait forever to win. This may be the hottest current seat in the SEC East, let’s see if that pressure of winning now gets to FL.

Kentucky - unfortunately their coming out party of sorts was against SC, the kids stood on camera saying “why not us”.  Has that luster faded considering they haven’t put it all together.  While coaches there have a longer leash than GA or FL can they substantially win and draw more recruits.

Missouri - Eli has them playing hard, with the coming additions and them possibly switching divisions/PODS can they start winning now though.  A change for them could easily hurt them.

South Carolina - With a new coaching staff I see the next 2 years being more about stability than anything. Optimism is high now and many are behind this coaching staff, if they can stabilize the ship and show the signs of heading in the right direction South Carolina could be in very good shape. Firing WM was a must for SC as fans were always waiting on the failure, it’s hard for fans to be in a spot where they don’t believe in a coach.

Tennessee - Hold The Line has to be there mantra for the next couple of years.  With what happened there and again a potential POD the coaches have to prove everything won’t crumble.  I don’t see a bright 2-3 years for them but if they can hold the line they may be ok.

Vanderbilt - While I can understand the change in coaches I don’t necessarily agree with it.  It’s a hard school to win at in general, wait and see.

Overall I think each college in the East is hoping for a POD system, Alabama coming to the East would quickly change the direction of many of the schools.  I don’t think any school in the East no matter their current standing is complacent with who they have.  Some schools will give longer ropes than others but all the coaches have something to prove.
nice post!

everything you say about South Carolina applies to Tennessee...take off the garnet glasses...we have a long long way to go just like UT

I don't don't see Kirby on a hot seat in 2-3 years without some major drop off.   With the talk of expanding the playoff format, UGA should be a perennial playoff team. 

There is just no way to know right now except for the obvious like Jawja and Bama. I think we do have some players but it is a matter of what the new staff does with them. All points that I have been privy to seems to be this coaching staff is going to put the best players on the field at all times and turn them loose. They will have more patcience than WM staff. I also understand the staff is much more in tune with each other than the last staff. Hope it comes together and gets us competitive. 

I expect a Bounty Law season.  We know we're goin' down; it's just a question of who's goin' down with us before we go 'cause there ain't no bathtubs in Hell.

everything you say about South Carolina applies to Tennessee...take off the garnet glasses...we have a long long way to go just like UT
No garnet glasses here, Tennessee is currently in a worse situation than SC.  Any school that has had bowl band or hefty punishment handed down by the NCAA has always struggled through them.  Both schools are coming in with new coaches, having to retool the teams due to transfers and such.  While coach Beamer has to steady the ship and try to put together a few wins and build confidence he doesn’t have to try to recruit against the NCAA punishment.  That’s why I stated Tennessee has to hold the line, if they stack several bad seasons along with the punishment they will have a much higher climb.

No garnet glasses here, Tennessee is currently in a worse situation than SC.  Any school that has had bowl band or hefty punishment handed down by the NCAA has always struggled through them.  Both schools are coming in with new coaches, having to retool the teams due to transfers and such.  While coach Beamer has to steady the ship and try to put together a few wins and build confidence he doesn’t have to try to recruit against the NCAA punishment.  That’s why I stated Tennessee has to hold the line, if they stack several bad seasons along with the punishment they will have a much higher climb.
except that beat us last year and brought in a coach that has a better pedigree in terms of actually coaching...I like Beamer but he is still an unknow at this point

except that beat us last year and brought in a coach that has a better pedigree in terms of actually coaching...I like Beamer but he is still an unknow at this point
We had horrible game day coaching with Muschamp, and our player development was pretty awful. The assistants we have now, top to bottom, or MUCH more highly thought of, so I am willing to bet the sum of our parts will be greater this year as opposed to last, when we got fewer wins than our talent should have been able to provide. In other words, I don't see anywhere to go but up in terms of coaching. And while the camera is always on the head coach during games, it's the strength of the staff as a whole that moves the needle ... and I don't see Tennessee being better than us in that regard, anyway.

I had to Google to find out the name of the Vols' new HC, Josh Heupel because I honestly couldn't remember who they named as the other guy's replacement.

The folks at Rocky Top will have a hard enough time saying his last name right.

John Hoedown, Josh Hooper or John Hoover perhaps? 

I had to Google to find out the name of the Vols' new HC, Josh Heupel because I honestly couldn't remember who they named as the other guy's replacement.

The folks at Rocky Top will have a hard enough time saying his last name right.

John Hoedown, Josh Hooper or John Hoover perhaps? 
LOL - you and me both. They have certainly churned through some coaches since the ran of Fulmer. 

We had horrible game day coaching with Muschamp, and our player development was pretty awful. The assistants we have now, top to bottom, or MUCH more highly thought of, so I am willing to bet the sum of our parts will be greater this year as opposed to last, when we got fewer wins than our talent should have been able to provide. In other words, I don't see anywhere to go but up in terms of coaching. And while the camera is always on the head coach during games, it's the strength of the staff as a whole that moves the needle ... and I don't see Tennessee being better than us in that regard, anyway.
until we actually see a result translate to the field it is all conjecture...my point is that comparing an unknown to a staff that came from another school is a little bit biased...and comparing anything to Muschamp is not setting the bar very high...ther is a reason that we are only predicted to finsih ahead of vandy in the East (unfortunately)

LOL - you and me both. They have certainly churned through some coaches since the ran of Fulmer. 
dude won a heisman but beyond that his teams at UCF had moderate success coming on the heels of Scott Frost who translated horribly to the next level...we'll see if huepel succeeds of has that same fate