Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange twist in Kelsey Griffin story is he still commited to Georgia

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Friday morning DL Kelsey Griffin 6'2" 290lbs of Hochston, GA held a news conference at his school and announced a commitment to Georgia over USC. That was no big surprise because Griffin had been calling the Bulldogs his favorite for months. But late Friday afternoon, Griffin's coach, thru a text message, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Griffin was not committed to Georgia. “We are about to load our buses for tonight’s game so I will not be able to call. Please know that Kelsey is NOT committed to UGA right now. I know this may sound crazy, but it is the facts," coach Shannon Jarvis wrote to the AJC. Griffin did not respond to text messages from the AJC but he likely will be asked by reporters after his game tonight if, indeed, he is committed to Georgia.

link: http://www.goupstate.com/article/20120921/PSPORTS02/120929923/-1/PSPORTS

I've looked at some other sites and multiple Georgia fans are claiming that the uga coaches turned down his commitment. I'm sure that's probably BS, but would be fine with me if that happened.

What happened between UGA and DT Kelsey Griffin?

2:18 pm September 21, 2012, by Michael Carvell

Kelsey-Griffin-Mill-Creek-High-School.jpg

The coach of 4-star DT Kelsey Griffin told the AJC he "was NOT committed" to UGA on Friday evening (AJC)

What happened between UGA and Kelsey Griffin?.

On Friday morning, the 4-star defensive tackle from Mill Creek High School committed to UGA in front of TV cameras.

On Friday evening, Griffin’s high school coach told the AJC that he was no longer committed to UGA.

Here’s what Mill Creek’s Shannon Jarvis told the AJC via text message:

“We are about to load our buses for tonight’s game so I will not be able to call. Please know that Kelsey is NOT committed to UGA right now. I know this may sound crazy, but it is the facts.”
With Friday’s kickoff against Peachtree Ridge fast approaching, Jarvis did not respond another text message asking for further clarification — Did Kelsey Griffin commit to UGA and have a change of heart? Or did Griffin publicly pledge to UGA and later find out that it was rejected by the Bulldogs?

UGA cannot comment on prospective student-athletes, and Griffin was not available for comment on early Friday evening.

Earlier on Friday morning, Griffin sat with his parents at an impromptu press conference at Mill Creek and told reporters from ESPN, Scout and Rivals that he had committed to UGA. It was all captured on video.

“I just decided to commit there; It had been weighing on my heart to commit to the place where I want to be the most … .and it happened to be the University of Georgia,” Griffin told Scout’s Kristen Ledlow on Friday morning.

At the time, it was huge news for UGA, as Griffin is one of the state’s top remaining uncommitted prospects. The 6-foot-1, 290-pounder is ranked as a consensus 4-star recruit and had narrowed down to UGA and South Carolina.

Griffin would’ve been commitment No. 29 for UGA’s 2013 recruiting class – if you’re counting JC offensive lineman Trenton Brown, who is still officially committed to the Bulldogs but lists Florida as his leader. ESPN and 247 sports have already removed Brown from its list of UGA commits, and they both have the Bulldogs at 28.

Now, after the news about Griffin’s de-commitment on early Friday evening, UGA could be down to 27.

Note: Please check back for updates.

link: http://bleacherrepor...gn=sec-football

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelsey Griffin on what went wrong with his brief commitment to UGA

What happened between Kelsey Griffin and UGA?

The 4-star defensive tackle offered some insight on late Friday after his football game for Mill Creek High School.

Earlier in the day, Griffin sat with his parents in front of TV cameras and publicly committed to UGA. However, a few hours later, his coach stated to the AJC that he was not pledged to the Bulldogs.

Apparently, Griffin made a commitment that UGA was not ready or willing to accept.

“I did not affirm my commitment,” Griffin said. “For right now, that’s all I have to say. It wasn’t confirmed. It wasn’t official. So right now, I’m uncommitted.”

Why didn’t UGA accept the commitment? What was the reason? Did Griffin think he had a committable football scholarship offer from UGA and he did not? What gave Griffin or his coach the impression that he did? What caused the misunderstanding? Which side was responsible for it? How did UGA explain it to his coach on late Friday afternoon?

When asked for a clarification, Griffin said, “There are details in it, but for right now I’m going to keep it on the low until I figure it out.”

Mill Creek coach Shannon Jarvis was also tight-lipped about situation:

“I can’t talk about Kelsey. He’s not committed to the University of Georgia, I can tell you that right now. He’s still in the recruiting process. I’ve got to leave it at that. You’ve got to understand, it has been a whirlwind since the afternoon, and I haven’t been able to sit down with him and get everything squared away. I really don’t have anything to say about it.”

Jarvis did make it a point to commend Griffin, who appeared to be embarrassed with how the day unraveled.

“As great of a person he is, he’s even a better person,” Jarvis said with visible emotion. “He has tremendous character and leadership. He has got it all. So I could not be prouder of that young man – not only the way he plays but the way he conducts himself on a day-to-day basis. That’s the best I can say.”

“I love that boy to death, his momma, his daddy, the whole family. They are great people. Wherever he plays, he’s going to be successful.”

What’s next for Griffin? He said he had not talked to UGA on Friday. He did not rule out attending Saturday’s game between the Bulldogs and Vanderbilt on an unofficial visit.

“Georgia, South Carolina and a couple of other teams might trickle in,” Griffin said. “I’m going to start my recruiting process back up and continue with my career here first. My first priority is my team. My second priority is getting to the second level.”

link: http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8xFS?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=recruiting

Griffin gives thumbs up to USC visit

DL Kelsey Griffin 6'2" 290lbs of Hochston, GA has had little to say regarding his recruiting since announcing a commitment to Georgia only to see the Bulldogs not accept it. This past Saturday Griffin made another unofficial visit to USC. And he said things went well. "I mean, I loved it," Griffin wrote in a text message. "I had a great time." Griffin also visited USC for the spring game. USC, Georgia, Florida, Florida State and Auburn have been his top schools throughout the process. He did not say where he plans to visit next. link: http://www.goupstate...9629/-1/PSPORTS

Last edited by a moderator: