Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The beginning of the end of the Beamer era?

Blitzkrieg

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash
First let me be clear about how I feel about Shane Beamer the person. He seems like a genuinely sincere person and a good guy who really wants to coach here and who is a good ambassador for the University and the State. I was not crazy about the hire (due to the lack of head coaching experience) nor was I opposed to the hire. I like him as a person as much as you can like someone without ever having met them.

After last night (and I began having reservations about him after the ODU escape) I now believe that he is not HC material. The "fake" punt in that situation yesterday was inexcusable. The risk vs reward potential was simply not worth the distinct possibility of putting a high powered offense in such an obvious field position advantage.

It wasn't like picking up the 1st down would have put us 1st and goal either. We would still have had around 50 -55 yards to go to score. The early atmosphere and crowd momentum was quickly sucked out of the stadium after that play and never really returned.

On "offense" (and I use that term lightly) I have no idea what we're trying to do. We were inserting different RBs in and out yesterday like people change underwear. If Sanders was OK why didn't he start? If he wasn't OK why play him and risk further injury.

Why can't we get a guy like Harbor with world class speed more involved in the offense. Why when needing 7 yards (or pick any number of yards) to pick up a first down do we continually run passing plays that are 2-3 yards short of the required number of yards to pick up said 1st down?

Why do we continue to try and run 180 pound McDowell (not taking anything away from McDowell) up the middle? How many games is it going to take for Sellers to learn to throw the ball away instead of taking a 3 - 5 yard loss?

How are we so undisciplined all over the field? Did we not commit enough dumb ass acts during the LSU game to learn anything about the foolishness of committing such acts? Do we even practice at all? How many offside penalties did we commit yesterday? 4? 5?

And speaking of penalties what the hell was with Beamer declining that penalty? Year 4 should be a break out year but we're staring right down the barrel of a 4 - 8 season. Beamer has the "resume" to do this having interned under such notables as Spurrier, Riley and his father but he just doesn't seem to have the "it" factor.

I seen it happen in the Army. You could send a soldier to all of the leadership schools that were available and yet that soldier couldn't lead ducks to water in a real leadership position. Again, yesterday wasn't about losing per se. We were 9.5 point dogs. We simply look like crap in virtually every aspect of the game and I don't see things getting any better.

His in game coaching can certainly be head scratching at times and he doesn’t seem to be learning from it. There was always going to be a period of on the job training with this hire but he may have peaked. Off the field, his inability to make the correct staff decisions will be his ultimate downfall if he doesn’t change quickly. Beamer has tied himself to the anchor of Dowell Loggains and that decision is indefensible now. Spencer Rattler won and excelled in spite of that but we don’t have a QB with the talent to run that scheme even half way successful. We don’t have the WRs to do it either. If he doesn’t make that change and successfully navigate the portal this season, good guy or not, he should be packing after next season. Nothing gives me confidence that we will develop Sellers or Harbor the way other coaches probably would.

I had season tickets for Brad Scott's last season here and this season feels a lot like that one, but not as bad as Muschamp's final one here.

Shane had never been a HC anywhere, much like Brad Scott, before we hired him. If he ends up being fired this year, Shane can probably get a nice Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator with a decent, well-paying program somewhere.

This is the best recruiting class we have had since the 33-6 years, so I think it's still a couple of losses too soon to have the discussion. I think it will go like the 2022 season and he will save his job, but I will also say things went sideways for me when Shane refused to use his bowl MVP DT QB when Rattler struggled.

The moon is cheese. I don't know.

I had season tickets for Brad Scott's last season here and this season feels a lot like that one, but not as bad as Muschamp's final one here.

Shane had never been a HC anywhere, much like Brad Scott, before we hired him. If he ends up being fired this year, Shane can probably get a nice Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator with a decent, well-paying program somewhere.

This is the best recruiting class we have had since the 33-6 years, so I think it's still a couple of losses too soon to have the discussion. I think it will go like the 2022 season and he will save his job, but I will also say things went sideways for me when Shane refused to use his bowl MVP DT QB when Rattler struggled.

The moon is cheese. I don't know.
Oh don't worry, we won't fire him until the crowds start thinning out like they did for Kingston. Next year most likely.

I am almost afraid to go watch the game again on TV. I sat there and watched absolutely awful offensive play.
I cannot understand repeatedly trying to run up the middle. Our O line was doing all the could trying to protect Sellers when he took forever to get rid of the ball. They were too wore out from that to be making holes for a RB to go up the middle.
Speaking of protecting the QB, I cannot count how many times we would be 3rd and 8 or 10, and Sellers would throw the ball to a WR 3-5 yards down the field that was tightly covered or try a screen that was covered.
It's was like he did not even look down the field. And the one long throw he made went straight to the defender with no chance for the receiver to get to it. Someone said his long pass was 17 yards. That is pathetic.
I get it, Ashford messed up big time when he dropped that ball when he tried the QB sneak. But after 3 Qtrs of Sellers awful play, they should of given him a chance.
Loggains made some of the worst play calls ever. If that is what they practiced all week, we definitely need a new OC.

The head coach who corrects problems as they occur is the one who wins most of their games. Dawn does it. Lamont does it. Dabo does it. Ray did it when he coached. Shane doesn't do it. Waiting until halftime to address the problems extrapolates out to waiting until mid-season to correct problems that should have been fixed much sooner.

If Shane were coaching at a non-SEC school instead, he would still struggle to get one or two games above .500 each year. If Shane and his staff can't win with these recruits, they can't win. Right now he's a great recruiter that can't win as a head coach.

The head coach who corrects problems as they occur is the one who wins most of their games. Dawn does it. Lamont does it. Dabo does it. Ray did it when he coached. Shane doesn't do it. Waiting until halftime to address the problems extrapolates out to waiting until mid-season to correct problems that should have been fixed much sooner.

If Shane were coaching at a non-SEC school instead, he would still struggle to get one or two games above .500 each year. If Shane and his staff can't win with these recruits, they can't win. Right now he's a great recruiter that can't win as a head coach.
Unfortunately you are correct. I've either read or heard that no GC football team has EVER had this many 4 and 5* players on its roster.

So are the funds available to make a change? This is very expensive. 😲

From a 2023 ESPN article:

“Beamer's deal will average in the $6.5 million area annually. He's slated to earn $6.125 million in 2023, and his salary will increase each year from there.
Beamer's buyout remains unchanged from his old deal, which paid him $2.75 million annually. If he were fired without cause, the university would owe him 65% of the guaranteed compensation remaining on his contract. If Beamer were to leave for another job, he would owe the university $5 million the first year, and his buyout would decrease by $1 million each year after that”

So his contract is through 2027 meaning he gets 65% of what‘s left. I think there’s no way we let him go after this season but stipulations should be put on him heading into a bowl-less off season. #1 finding an OC to fit college level talent we have. But he should be holding himself to this standard and not accepting the product we have. No QB development, very little WR development, no offense. That must show marked signs of improvement in 2025.

Last edited:
2025 Schedule. Looking forward, how realistic is it to think Beamer and staff win more than 5-6 games next season without major changes?

2025 South Carolina Football Schedule​

Sunday
Aug. 31
Virginia Tech Hokies Football Schedulevs Virginia Tech Hokies Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GATime TBA ETor Mon., Sep. 1
Saturday
Sep. 6
SC State Football ScheduleSC State Bulldogs Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 22
Coastal Carolina Football ScheduleCoastal Carolina Chanticleers Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 29
Clemson Tigers Football ScheduleClemson Tigers Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBALSU Football Scheduleat LSU Tigers Tiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, LATime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAMissouri Tigers Football Scheduleat Missouri Tigers Faurot Field, Columbia, MOTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAOle Miss Football Scheduleat Ole Miss Rebels Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford, MSTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAAlabama Crimson Tide Football ScheduleAlabama Crimson Tide Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAKentucky Wildcats Football ScheduleKentucky Wildcats Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAOklahoma Sooners Football ScheduleOklahoma Sooners Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAVanderbilt Commodores Football ScheduleVanderbilt Commodores Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBATexas A&M Football Scheduleat Texas A&M Aggies Kyle Field, College Station, TXTime TBA ETTV TBA

For some reason, both with Beamer and Muschamp, we bring in these "pro-Style" OCs that just don't fit our players. And things just seem to be too complex for our players to learn. Or at least learn consistently enough to put together extended drives. It's time for an OC that can simplify the offense to where 18 & 19 year old kids can understand plays and execute them reliably. We don't have experienced 26-30 year old pro players that have seen and played many different schemes in their career, and can quickly adapt to new offenses. We have kids that were playing HS football (some at very small schools) just a year or two ago.

Your post makes no sense, let me guess he is lucky to be 2 games above .500 at an SEC school for his career when you say he would struggle to be above .500 at a non SEC school...
I loathe Gamecock fans sometimes, the same fans ready to throw Rattler away before Tenn and send Shane packing are the same fans that did not expect us to be sitting here 3-2 and now call for him to be fired mid-season, DO BETTER!!
You stated we would be lucky to win how many games before the season started, 🤔, we would get killed by Kentucky, we would get killed by lsu before the season, so he made enough changes to be better than those expectations...
We still have how many games to play and as huge Gamecock fans you all have not changed, you all are the exact status quo here we go again Gamecock fans, we want better but I guess despite having 7 games to you have decided to give up on your team, your players and your coaches...DO BETTER! Be mad and criticize but stop acting like BANDWAGON fans, GO GAMECOCKS!
Man I got frustrated watching that game but it's one game, I got frustrated Watchung the old dominion game as well but I quit drinking long ago and don't act like I know more than the coach, like the coach can make Sellers throw the ball anymore than he could Rattler, I did question some play calls but also saw missed throws, dropped passes, stupid decisions by inexperienced players, mind numbing penalties and missed FG's that crushed momentum... Go Gamecocks beat Bama, beat the sooners, beat the aggies, beat the dores, beat the Tigers, best the terriers, and crush the tiggers!

I still have not gone back and watched the game again on TV and have decided I will not do so.
It was an awful game to sit there and watch. So many things I was questioning.
But you know what? I felt the same about the ODU game. At least we won, but it was ugly. I went back and watched and did not feel good about the UK game, but I had hope we would adjust. We did.
Do we have a chance in the world against Bama? YES WE DO.
We will have to play worlds better, but it is not something that has not happened before. As sad as we played Saturday, there are so many plays that could be changed.
We have seen our offense play way better. It was just a bad day / bad game.
Yes, I really question Loggains and why he did not make more changes during the game. But I saw how Beamer got Satterfield to make some changes before and, I feel confident Shane is talking to Dowell too after watching the tapes. Yes, I wish Beamer would butt in sooner than after a game, but that is his prerogative.
I will always be a fan. Regardless of what happens this Saturday, we have a team that needs our support.
Let's go Gamecocks. We beat Bama there in 2004. Lou Holtz was still struggling to put back together a winning team. He was coming off two 5-7 seasons. Beamer is trying to recover from a 5-7 season. Let's win this thing.

Our defense remains solid and one of the best in the country, but our passing game doesn't possess a knock-out punch right now.

Shane is hanging his hat on a first-year QB this year. Nothing wrong with being loyal, but there is no Plan B when Sellers struggles. There was a noticeable drop-off on offense after Rocket got hurt because defenses had to watch out for either him or Sellers running the ball. Kinda the same as not playing Joyner when Rattler struggled in the pocket last year because of a poor OL.

Of course, we get Rocket back healthy on Saturday, but then Sellers slides instead of running when he needed to. I think this season will be like 2022 and we will finish strong, but it hasn't happened yet.

Venables will bring a solid defense against us Saturday. Our run game was actually pretty good against Bama. Sellers usually calls his own number after he screws up and I was expecting to see a nice QB draw for a TD in the 4th quarter Saturday against Bama.

Our defense remains solid and one of the best in the country, but our passing game doesn't possess a knock-out punch right now.

Shane is hanging his hat on a true FR QB this year. Nothing wrong with being loyal, but there is no Plan B when Sellers struggles. There was a noticeable drop-off on offense after Rocket got hurt because defenses had to watch out for either him or Sellers running the ball. Kinda the same as not playing Joyner when Rattler struggled in the pocket last year because of a poor OL.

Of course, we get Rocket back healthy on Saturday, but then Sellers slides instead of running when he needed to. I think this season will be like 2022 and we will finish strong, but it hasn't happened yet.

Venables will bring a solid defense against us Saturday. Our run game was actually pretty good against Bama. Sellers usually calls his own number after he screws up and I was expecting to see a nice QB draw for a TD in the 4th quarter Saturday against Bama.
So I started to quit reading after you called Sellers a Tr Fr... they obviously had a plan B or we wouldn't have beat Akron but Sellers gives us the best chance to win just like Rattler!