Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Movie Thread

Honestly you aren’t missing much. They can be entertaining but they aren’t life altering movies. I had not seen any until my daughter wanted to watch them. 
I get why people like them but for some reason they are just not for me....while I love the fantasy stories of like star wars, the superhero movies just seem too far fetched...I will say that I am certainly in a huge minority when it comes to seeing them

I finally saw WW84...the latest Wonder Woman movie over the past weekend.  It was awful.  It was so cheesey it should have come with a a Dairy Intolerant warning label.

Unfortunately I don't have HBO max and they have moved all of my favorite HBO shows off of Amazon. 

The Wire is my go to cop series, I have watched it probably 5 times and literally every time I pick up on something new.  I can't recommend it enough.
I think The Wire is the best series ever put on TV - best writing, best characters, best stories ... just the best, period.

Last night's fare: still holds up.

The_Matrix_Poster.jpg

And for WW84, it may be terrible (don't know, haven't seen it), but I think I could watch anything with the beauty that is Gal Gadot.

I just finished the Zack Snyder cut of Justice League. It's ridiculously long, but it's better than the other version.

I just finished the Zack Snyder cut of Justice League. It's ridiculously long, but it's better than the other version.
Watched it last night too, and it has been elevated, along with the first WW movie, to the list of DC movies that don't suck. Good job, Zack!

So I love stumbling onto little known movies that for some reason or another did not become hits, even though they are really good. When that mood strikes me, I go searching for recommendations.

Today's recommendation was Dark City which came out in 1998. Here is the IMDB synopsis:

John Murdoch awakens alone in a strange hotel to find that he has lost his memory and is wanted for a series of brutal and bizarre murders. While trying to piece together his past, he stumbles upon a fiendish underworld controlled by a group of beings known as The Strangers who possess the ability to put people to sleep and alter the city and its inhabitants. Now Murdoch must find a way to stop them before they take control of his mind and destroy him.
On the surface, it sounded kinda meh, but the reviews are stellar. So I figured there must be something to this flick.

There really isn't. I mean it isn't bad, but it isn't great either. Imagine a good Twilight Zone episode stretched out to movie length, and this is what you'll get. If there was any depth to the story's concept, it wasn't explored. Instead the whole idea just dragged along to a predictable conclusion.

If you haven't seen it, it's worth watching. maybe you'll like it more than I did.

I might be in the minority but I have absolutely zero interest in any of the superhero movies, and haven't seen a single one. She's not alone lol. 

The funny part is, my BIL is a huge marvel/superhero fanboy and everytime I see them he rambles on and on about this move or that like I've seen em, I just nod and let him talk, he has yet to figure out I have no idea what he is talking about.

Unfortunately I don't have HBO max and they have moved all of my favorite HBO shows off of Amazon. 

The Wire is my go to cop series, I have watched it probably 5 times and literally every time I pick up on something new.  I can't recommend it enough.

I have seen none lol 
I have not seen very many. The ones I remember seeing are the original Iron Man, Original Spiderman (and one of the recent ones I watched on airplane a couple of years ago). I It think that's about it. The first 1 or 2 X-men movies I enjoyed. 

I can take them or leave them. They can be entertaining, but nothing that jumps out as 'must watch'. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can take them or leave them. They can be entertaining, but nothing that jumps out as 'must watch'. 
Agreed. I mostly got roped into a bunch of them because of my kids, although I enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movies because of the Sci-Fi bent, the humor, and the soundtracks.

Agreed. I mostly got roped into a bunch of them because of my kids, although I enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movies because of the Sci-Fi bent, the humor, and the soundtracks.
I've enjoyed them with my daughter.  They have the right amount of action and humor to give a good balance.  Also enjoyed the GOTG ones much the same reasons.  

p18690642_p_v13_af.jpg

OK...first...ummm...I'm not even sure I am recommending anyone watch this...I'm not sure I ever should have...but...this is David Cronenberg's son Brandon Cronenberg's second movie and it is absolutely insane. Its actually a really good movie that is super well directed and acted...and it looks absolutely great...however...there is an ultra-violence and gore here that is almost singular in its approach. I have seen some depraved movies over the years but this is what going for it looks like. This is actually a really well made movie coming from a unique place with an interesting story...but be warned...this makes some of your typical 'Horror Movies' feel like Family Guy and even classics like 'Audition' or 'Centipede' feel almost relaxing...fun loving...quaint...this thing is brutal!! 

On HULU now...if this is your kind of thing...you need professional help...but don't miss this slice of absolute brutality...yikes!!

If you like detective stuff, check out “Broadchurch” on Netflix ... so so good.

The new Mortal Kombat is pretty good. It really plays up on that Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero storyline, and there's no tournament structure in the movie, but it's still ok. Kano almost makes the movie himself, and I like Jax's storyline better than the old film series.