Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NIT

The key in this all will be G.G. Jackson. If Frank is able to snag him, then he saves his job simply because of that. UofSC's athletic department is not going to let a top national recruit walk away from a LOI in order to get rid of a coach. That's free publicity and gives some hope for the future (even if Frank Martin a season later, in G.G. Jackson's sophomore campaign, is not a part of that future).

If the NIT comes knocking, that helps, but it's truly JUST up to the G.G. Jackson decision in the end.

Frank has done what no other coach in our history has ever done. No other coach is capable of doing better here so he gets a lifetime pass. GG NIT or not he stays. When Frank does retire from here we should rename the arena after him and the court. Probably the city. We should also shut down the men's program then. Frank or bust.

I'll stop crying if Frank can pull GG....isn't that reason enough for him to make it happen for us?

I'll stop crying if Frank can pull GG....isn't that reason enough for him to make it happen for us?
The problem is that GG alone only gives us a scoring option. Frank (and staff) still have to fix the issues at the 4/5 that have plagued us all season. I think GG goes a LOOOONG way towards helping solve offensive and defensive woes, but he’s got to get help around him. Something’s gotta change at the assistant coaching level on our team assuming Frank is back next year.

The problem is that GG alone only gives us a scoring option. Frank (and staff) still have to fix the issues at the 4/5 that have plagued us all season. I think GG goes a LOOOONG way towards helping solve offensive and defensive woes, but he’s got to get help around him. Something’s gotta change at the assistant coaching level on our team assuming Frank is back next year.
I agree 100%
...but I also think the presence of GG would potentially bring in new blood that could support him...I think a lot of guys would want to play with someone of his caliber and getting GG *might* be the momentum we need to build a more solid support network around him.
...at least that's what I'm telling myself

I agree 100%
...but I also think the presence of GG would potentially bring in new blood that could support him...I think a lot of guys would want to play with someone of his caliber and getting GG *might* be the momentum we need to build a more solid support network around him.
...at least that's what I'm telling myself
You’re absolutely right. And even GGs dad says the same thing. The biggest challenge is that those kids will be mostly (if not all) freshmen. Frank’s system is built on upperclassmen leading the way. Talented Freshmen go a LONG way in elevating a program, but even talented Freshmen make Freshmen mistakes.
All that to say… I would LOVE GG to play in a Gamecock uni!

Will an NIT bid follow?​

Forget any dreams of an NCAA tournament appearance. With a 73-51 loss to No. 10-seed Mississippi State in the team’s first game of the SEC tournament. The NIT remains in play for USC, but the team will have to wait until Sunday to learn its fate.

The Gamecocks do remain in the NIT picture, however. NIT bracketologist John Templon has the Gamecocks in his most recent NIT projected bracket, and he believes the Gamecocks would get in even with a one-and-done SEC Tournament appearance. But there are no certainties for the Gamecocks as they wait until Selection Sunday. The NIT bracket is revealed Sunday night after the NCAA tournament is set.

This season's team is popular with those of us who do make it to the home games every now and then.

There will be a decent crowd at the CLA if we get in and can host a weekend or two of games.

This season's team is popular with those of us who do make it to the home games every now and then.

There will be a decent crowd at the CLA if we get in and can host a weekend or two of games.
We’ve got a squad that can make some noise in the NIT with the right matchups. My fear is that one of the other “buzzsaw” teams who doesn’t make the NCAAT gets matched up with us in the 1st or 2nd round. We have another Miss. St. match if that happens.

Can we all agree no GG no Frank? Seems like that is the only thing that anyone thinks will keep him here, well other than one poster lol.

"Six Southeastern Conference teams have received bids to the 2022 NCAA Tournament. That runs the league's total to 27 NCAA bids over the last four tournaments.

Auburn and Kentucky earned No. 2 seeds while Tennessee is a No. 3 seed, Arkansas is a four and Alabama a six.

LSU earned a berth into the NCAA Tournament for the 24th time in school history and the third straight tournament. The sixth-seeded Tigers meet No. 11 Iowa State in the first round Friday in Milwaukee."