Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts 2 games into the season.

B_Amazing

Fanatics Cash
We’re 2 games into the season and have 2 W’s in the win column, while not always pretty they are W’s.

Coaching: In my opinion it’s been as vanilla as possible for the offense, don’t show what you don’t need to this early in the season.  The defense has played great and seem to be building confidence.  The special teams is Beamer Ball!!!

Offense: Hopefully when Doty returns it will give a much needed jolt to this area.  Until we prove that we can consistently make throws no defense will back off the line of scrimmage.

Defense: improvement across the entire unit, I know we have only played to lower level teams but they have tackled and for the most part played fast and kept their assignments.

Special Teams: this is an area Beamer and co is ensuring the opposing coaches have to plan for.  I like what I’ve seen so far, calculated risk to change the game.

Intangibles: Passion and Heart are 2 areas that drive college football, the first is helping and hurting us at the same time.  The players seem to have the passion for the coaching staff and fan base, while it has caused some unwanted penalties they are playing for each other.

Overall I would give the season so far a B+, it’s hard to motivate a team that isn’t supposed to win many games.  The coaching staff has done that, the players could have given up Saturday and refused to do so.  If they continue to show improvement and play for each other this team will pull a win or 2 that they shouldn’t, while I’m not excited about the GA game coming up it’s another chance for the staff and the players to improve.

Just the tackling alone is a massive, massive upgrade so far ... have not seen one DB curl up to deliver a "kill shot" (which just resulted in a missed tackle) instead of wrapping and taking the player to the ground.

OL needs to get better, stop the penalties and untimely, unforced errors.  I think this is about what I expected from this team.  I thought we would / should be 2-0 at this point and we are.  UGA will be tough and KY is pretty good as well.  More consistency in the passing game will hopefully open up the run game, but our OL needs to step it up IMO. 

I like this staff and I feel like we do play as team unlike what I saw the last few years.  I just want us to stop the jawing on D and getting dumb penalties.

We all knew going in to the season that we wouldn't go from 2-8 to champs.  So far, we have won two games we were supposed to win, and have matched last year's win total.  This manner in which we won was a reason for hope to me.  We didn't give up, which is major progress.  Unless a miracle happens, we are going to lose several games this year, but the manner in which we lose will tell us a lot.  The fundamentals, like tackling, have improved, and I'm sure will keep improving.  If we can pull out a win or two we aren't supposed to get, and the staff can continue to recruit well, I see happy days in our future.

OL has to learn who to block. This is coaching. 
Partially coaching partially instinct, coaching is hat on a hat and how to defend against blitz and different schemes such as crosses coming from the dline.  The player has to have instincts kick in and fall back on that coaching when those things happen.  ECU did not fear the passing game especially on 3rd down, they constantly brought more rushers than we had blockers.  Even with that being said it’s still on the coaches and the player to make that chip block or partial block to give that extra second to throw to an open receiver.  On the flip side of that most of the time the ball was being held on to or thrown so fast that I couldn’t tell if their was a hot route for those cases.

played out just like I thought it would. Areas of strength Defensive line and the linebackers follow secondary so so. On offense running backs, Question still offensive line and at QB and receivers.  Not to surprised by the penalties' but area needing attention. Special teams plus really surprised but should have l known Beamer ball.  Over all what I expected. Georgia will answer a lot of question on area needing attention when on the recruiting trail... 

THE OFFENSIVE LINE NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

South Carolina quarterback Zeb Noland wasn’t his best Saturday (more on that later), but the Gamecocks’ offensive line didn’t exactly help his cause. Noland was sacked three times in Saturday’s first half. The Pirates also finished with eight tackles for a loss. Beamer maligned his front five for their lack of physicality early in Week 1’s win over Eastern Illinois. Again, the Gamecocks failed to dominate in the trenches despite a plethora of experience up front. USC finished Saturday’s contest with 106 rushing yards on 39 touches — good for just 2.7 yards per carry. The Gamecocks can’t afford another effort like that against No. 2 Georgia in Week 3. It’ll start with the offensive line. JOSH VANN, DAKEREON JOYNER CAN BE PLAYMAKERS South Carolina’s hidden earmarks

In an offense that’s littered with athletes, Josh Vann and Dakereon Joyner broke out Saturday.

Vann led all receivers with 91 yards on five receptions. He should’ve had a touchdown reception as well, but it was overturned upon review.

Joyner, too, recorded one of his more productive days to date as he caught five catches for 38 yards and a score.

Receivers are still a question mark only two games into the season, but both Vann and Joyner look like they can be productive pieces for the Gamecocks down the line.

DEFENSIVE LINE IS ELITE

For as bad as South Carolina’s offensive line was, the defensive line asserted its dominance in the trenches.

The Gamecocks finished the afternoon with five sacks and nine tackles for a loss as they consistently kept ECU quarterback Holton Ahlers off-balance.

South Carolina rotated a number of bodies, but the usual suspects came through. Kingsley “JJ” Enagbare netted two sacks. Jabari Ellis recorded five tackles of his own. Zacch Pickens and Aaron Sterling also each recorded three tackles and a sack.

Ahlers is a legitimate star, but the Gamecocks chased him up and down the field Saturday.

South Carolina is going to need another all-world outing from its defensive front next weekend in Athens, Georgia.

Last edited by a moderator:
A summary of Shane's coaching career up to this point:

COACHING CAREER
• 2000: Georgia Tech (Graduate Assistant) 
• 2001-03: Tennessee (Graduate Assistant)
• 2004-05: Mississippi State (Cornerbacks)
• 2006: Mississippi State (Running Backs/Recruiting Coordinator) 
• 2007: South Carolina (Outside Linebackers/Co-Special Teams Coordinator)
• 2008: South Carolina (Cornerbacks)
• 2009-10: South Carolina (Special Teams Coordinator/Safeties/Spurs/Recruiting Coordinator)

• 2011-15: Virginia Tech (Associate Head Coach/Running Backs)
• 2016-17: Georgia (Tight Ends/Special Teams Coordinator) 
• 2018-20: Oklahoma (Assistant Head Coach/Tight Ends/H-Backs)
• 2021-present: South Carolina (Head Coach)
https://gamecocksonline.com/staff-directory/shane-beamer/764

Here's who he brought in here during his time as Recruiting Coordinator:

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Season/2009-Football/Commits/

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Season/2010-Football/Commits/

Basically all the big names on the 33-6 squads.

My perception the past several years has been that our biggest issue has been coaches who couldn't coach the players they recruited.  Shane was able to do that during his first time here and he has hired a staff that can do the same as well.

We are going to have one of the top-rated defenses in the country in the next two years (maybe sooner depending on how this season plays out).

The offense may take a bit longer, but I think we'll do pretty good there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
A summary of Shane's coaching career up to this point:

https://gamecocksonline.com/staff-directory/shane-beamer/764

Here's who he brought in here during his time as Recruiting Coordinator:

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Season/2009-Football/Commits/

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Season/2010-Football/Commits/

Basically all the big names on the 33-6 squads.

My perception the past several years has been that our biggest issue has been coaches who couldn't coach the players they recruited.  Shane was able to do that during his first time here and he has hired a staff that can do the same as well.

We are going to have one of the top-rated defenses in the country in the next two years (maybe sooner depending on how this season plays out).

The offense may take a bit longer, but I think we'll do pretty good there as well.
I fully believe as previously stated that SB is the coach for us.  He’s intelligent, connects with players and staff.  From what I can see seems to do well on the sidelines and I fully expect more growth their too.  Aside from an unseen bump in the road I feel that he will get things turned around.  Most importantly he wants to be here, that is more of a point for me especially after the last staff.