Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tokyo 2020 Olympics thread.

Spur's Addiction

Who is Sergio?
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Crowdless opening ceremonies today. 

Some teams sports already underway. US Women's soccer team lost 0-3 to Sweden in opening game. 

Team USA WBB 3x3, featuring our own Allisha Gray, defeats France 17-10.  Kara Lawson is their coach, while Dawn is coaching the 5x5 team. 

d259d5b06fda460294c13f11eaeaff0f.jpg

https://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/roster.aspx

57169a729a824865b6c92cd26b2fe6b5.jpg

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2021/07/3x3-woly-july-24-games.aspx

Fun to watch once you get used to the speed of the game.

You know, the WNBA could have a touring 3x3 group that traveled to arenas around the country getting some good coverage for their players outside of their teams' home cities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the opening ceremonies were a bore. At least the first 30 minutes until we switched to watch something else. Maybe it got better. 

We are big into the swimming and gymnastics in my house. Swimming probably not a shock considering we are off to another regional meet on Thursday…

I did see the 3x3 bball game, and skateboarding, lol. 

I watched some of the women's gymnastic qualifications yesterday.  I don't remember her name, but we have a girl that was an alternate for the Rio games who has battled Covid and then pneumonia who made the trip.  She actually did pretty good and may end up being a good story for us this year if she should happen to medal for us.

The Russians seemed to look a little better to me yesterday.

We haven't medaled in the Triathlon since it was added as an event in the 2000 Olympics.  I was thinking maybe Bruce Jenner, but his sport was the Decathlon.

Watching the Olympics has convinced me I HAVE to get back to a regular workout routine and start jogging again as well.

I used have a little mini-poster made from a magazine ad for sprinter Michael Johnson back in the early 2000s I used for motivation.  That dude was freaking cut, man.

Had no idea there was 3-on-3 BB.
Allisha played unselfishly like she did for us during the NC run.

She started clanking from 3-point range, so she started grabbing rebounds, taking it back to past the 3-point (which I believe they have to do in 3x3 to start the possession) to draw the defender out.  Then she would pass it back to the big in the paint, who got the easy score just like Alaina and A'ja did for us.

The French team got desperate and starting clanking 3-point attempts and it was all over.  The French players were pretty good BTW.  They would have pulled away if we had lifted the throttle by any decent amount.

Looks like the 3x3 beat China to go to the semi-finals.  The time difference is goofy.  Just going off of Twitter.

Team USA WBB gets its first 2020 Tokyo Olympics win over Nigeria.

The USA women's basketball team got off to a positive start at the Tokyo Olympics with an 81-72 win over Nigeria in their first game of the tournament. It certainly wasn't always pretty, but they got the job done and ran their Olympics winning streak to an incredible 50 games in the process.

Nigeria's full-court press and tenacity on the defensive end seemed to catch Team USA off guard early in the game. At the end of the first quarter, Nigeria led 20-17 and had forced eight American turnovers. Eventually, however, Team USA was able to adapt to the pressure, started working the ball inside and took full control. At one point in the second quarter, they ripped off a 23-0 run and built a double-digit lead at the break. While they got a little lackadaisical towards the end of the fourth quarter, Team USA was in full control for the entire second half, and was never in danger of losing the game.

Las Vegas Aces star A'ja Wilson led the way for Team USA with 19 points, 13 rebounds, two steals and two blocks in a dominant interior performance. Her frontcourt partner Brittney Griner added a double-double of her own with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Diana Taurasi was the only other player in double digits with 10 points.
https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/team-usa-womens-basketball-vs-nigeria-score-tokyo-olympics-u-s-women-pick-up-50th-straight-olympic-win/live/

All Dawn does is win in everything she does.

Last edited by a moderator: