Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*** USC MBB (6-0) vs. George Washington (6-1) Game Thread ***

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash

The Gamecocks are 6-0 this season and off to the team’s best start since beginning the year 8-0 during the 2016-17 Final Four season.

Carolina is seeking the team’s eighth 7-0 start in program history on Friday night at Colonial Life Arena.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyMy8xMS9iYzkwZmY3MC1ia2MtMTEtMjgtMjAyMy0wMDIzLS5qcGc.png

(Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

51.4% tonight from behind the arc, with 28 made 3 pointers. New Gamecock team high for a single game. 5-7 FTs. 50% FG percentage. 4 starters with 10+ points, and bench contributions from all but Gray and Sparkman. REALLY good night, and against a VERY good GW team. Coach Paris may have found the magic with this squad. Looks like we could make some noise in the SEC if we stay healthy.

Gamecocks improve to 7-0 with 89-67 win over George Washington (6-2). Meechie Johnson led the Gamecocks with 24 pts on 9-16 shooting, with 5-7 behind the 3-pt. line, and 8 rebounds. B.J. Mack added 20 pts on 7-13 shooting, with 4-8 behind the arc, with 3 rebounds and 2 blocks. Overall, the Gamecocks shot 33-66 (.500) from the field, and 18-35 (.514) from the 3-pt. line.

The 2nd half was a showcase of 3-pt. marksmanship for both teams, as GWU shot 6-8 from behind the arc, and the Gamecocks shot 10-19 (!!). South Carolina now heads to their rivalry game with Clemson this Wednesday at Littlejohn Coliseum undefeated. The Tigers (6-0) still have to play ACC foe Pitt (5-2) this Sunday before hosting us.....

I watched the beginning for a while and then the last 8 min or so of the 2nd half. I must say this looks like a really well coached team.

Went to the game. First one I have been to this season.

Lamont has gotten the body types that are more better-suited for P5 D1 basketball than the types Frank recruited in his time here. For the first time in a very long while we finally have some guys with length that can shoot from the perimeter. They also have some moves inside the paint on offense, too.

Lamont is committed to offense they way Frank was with defense, but there is emphasis on defense as well.

Plus this is the most unselfish MBB team we have had in years. Better depth and balance on both ends of the court for that reason. Really fun to watch and the atmosphere at the CLA was very electric tonight because of all the offense. One game at a time, but I can see all weekend home games being sell-outs if the wins continue into conference play.

A good crowd but small enough that you could stretch out in your seat and enjoy a great game. GW is pretty good, too. Most fun I have had at the CLA at a MBB game in a while. Plus, Justin McKie showed up tonight and got some face time on the jumbotron as well.

BJ Mack and Meechie put on a dang show on offense tonight. It was just fantastic to watch in person.

This team was good out of the box early on this season; not perfect, but good enough, and now they're getting better.

The Clemson game at Littlejohn will be a great one for sure. I am excited about this season in a way I haven't been in a long time.

A few other things that no one probably saw on TV.

They added a male dancer to the group of female dancers formerly known as the Carolina Girls, renaming the group to the Carolina Dance Team.

That dude has some moves. No pom-poms. They did a number where the girls are laying on the floor in a circle at the end and he rose up from the middle to cheers from the crowd. I think it's different and pretty cool.

Then later they danced to AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long", which I have never heard them play in the conservative CLA ever. If they have ever done it, I don't remember it. We all remember the raunchy lyrics in the song I am sure. Pushin' the limits.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2qQmj0_h4

The CLA is now the place to be on the weekends.

basketballcocky

Last edited:
I actually got to the game 15 minutes, so no line at the ice cream stand.

Then I got an egg roll and a Coke at halftime, so I contributed to the win.

Go Egg Roll. Go Gamecocks. LOL
You've got a twofer here -- you can also repost this in the Carolina Eats section. small.gif

KEY STAT
South Carolina made a single-game record 18 3-pointers in tonight’s 22-point victory against George Washington. Carolina shot 51.4 percent (18-for-35) from behind the arc. The previous record of 16 occurred three times, last coming at Texas A&M on Jan. 18, 2020, in a 81-67, victory in College Station.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyMy8xMi9iODg5OTdjMi0xMi4wMS4yMy5zb3V0aF8uY2Fyb2xpbmEudnNfLmdlb3JnZS53YXNoaW5ndG9uLjAwMDE1LmpwZw.png

(Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

Trivia question: When were the other two previous times we hit 16 3-pointers in a game?

From the official record book prior to the record-setting effort of 18 in the GW win.

MOST 3-POINT GOALS MADE IN A GAME (TEAM)

1.16 at Texas A&M (1/18/20), at College Station, Texas
16 vs. Texas A&M (2/6/19), at Columbia
16 vs. Campbell (11/28/07), at Columbia
4.15 at LSU (2/18/23), at Baton Rouge
15 vs. Auburn (1/24/17) at Columbia
15 vs. Cincinnati (2/15/97), at Cincinnati, Ohio
7.14 vs. Wofford (12/17/05), at Columbia
14 vs. Alabama (2/4/04), at Columbia
14 vs. Georgia (3/2/96), at Athens, Ga.
14 vs. Clemson (2/9/94), at Clemson, S.C.

Both games against the Aggies were wins for us.

Last edited: