Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USC's next president

Swayin

Fanatics Cash
Purdue EVP and dean of the College of Engineering Mung Chaing is the preferred candidate to become USC's next president. Campus forums, BOT meetings etc to follow as is usually the case, but "preferred candidate" is a title in searches like this that basically is the first stop to announcing the new leader. Great choice from an academic and leadership standpoint IMO.

Bio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung_Chiang

Mung_Chiang_Speaking_at_the_NSF_Waterman_Award_Ceremony_in_2013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Color me underwhelmed.  I had hoped for someone with at least a chancellor or provost position. 

Impressive technical resume to be so young for sure.

Where is the next area of research growth?  I would have thought something along the lines of biological science research given the current pandemic and its effects.

I would say something like that instead of Internet stuff.

Color me underwhelmed.  I had hoped for someone with at least a chancellor or provost position. 
Right.  Hire someone who's had experience managing sharp Deans like Chaing and others, along with budgeting experience.

The next President will determine the school's direction.

What is the University's academic identity right now and what do we want it to be in the future?

Impressive technical resume to be so young for sure.

Where is the next area of research growth?  I would have thought something along the lines of biological science research given the current pandemic and its effects.

I would say something like that instead of Internet stuff.

Right.  Hire someone who's had experience managing sharp Deans like Chaing and others, along with budgeting experience.

The next President will determine the school's direction.

What is the University's academic identity right now and what do we want it to be in the future?
I'm very impressed with him. As a dean, he is basically doing the exact same things a provost would do, but for a college instead of a university. Most importantly, he has had to deal with faculty and a faculty senate, budgeting issues, and student recruitment. His area of research expertise is now basically a moot point; it's how he works with others and builds teams that will matter at USC. Hiring him is the academic version of the up-and-coming young coordinator and I think it is a forward-looking vision. I respect where you guys - @kingofnerf and @TheYancey - are coming from, but I guess I just have a different opinion.

Purdue’s Mung Chiang was one of South Carolina’s top candidates for President.

He’a decided to remain at Purdue.

From Purdue: “We are deeply grateful that he and his family, not for the first time, have chosen to decline a prestigious presidency and remain with us.”

— Mike Gillespie (@MikeABCColumbia) December 5, 2021