Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***WBB #5/6 South Carolina (11-1) vs #25/21 South Dakota (11-1) Game Thread***

ConwayGamecock

Administrator
Fanatics Cash
Columbia, SC - The South Carolina women Basketball return to Colonial Life Arena in its third game of a 4-game homestand as they host 25th/21st ranked South Dakota at noon Sunday. The 5th/6th ranked Gamecocks (11-1) will take on the Coyotes (11-1) in their final non-conference game before the SEC schedule begins with Kentucky coming to CLA January 2nd. The Gamecocks will still have their final non-conference game later in the season when they host Connecticut February 10th.

This will be a challenging test for the Gamecocks. They are coming into this game playing perhaps some of their best basketball of the young season, which includes consecutive routes of 36 points versus Purdue, and of 43 points against Duke. The Gamecocks will attempt to match their longest win streak of the season of six games with a victory over the Coyotes. The Coyotes meanwhile hope to extend their season-best win streak to seven games: they are coming off of routes of 38 points versus Coppin State, 71 points against non-Division I opponent Mount Marty, and of 32 points versus Montana.

This will be the first time both programs have faced each other on the court.

Game Time: 12:00 PM EST

TV: SECN+

Radio: 107.5 THE GAME FM

Stats: Statbroadcast

Official Pre-Game Preview

I think the Gamecocks should have the decisive advantage here in overall depth and length. The 'Yotes are not the greatest defensive team - opponents are shooting at a pretty good rate against them - and they are not great at rebounding. Both aspects the Gamecocks are doing very well in this season, so we should make things difficult for South Dakota near the basket.

It's further away from the basket that South Dakota shines. They are a very solid perimeter shooting team, and are very good outside the 3-pt. arc. Their leading scorer - Ciara Duffy - is an above .500 shooter both inside and outside the 3-pt. line, but she's better outside of it, and we're not talking about going 2-4 or 3-6. The Coyotes have three primary perimeter shooters that are all pretty solid, so our own perimeter defense must also be solid, to keep South Dakota from turning the game into a scoring battle.

Otherwise I feel our own athleticism, defense on the ball, and protection of the rim should be superior....

Ty Harris hits a 3-point shot from mid-court at the buzzer to end the first Period, and the Gamecocks lead the Coyotes 25-13 after 10 minutes......

Last edited by a moderator:
South Dakota find their shooting touch, and the Gamecocks turn sloppy with taking care of the basketball, and the 2nd Period is tightly contested. The Gamecocks take a 42-29 lead into the halftime. They are dominating the boards as I expected - 29-11 - but they keep giving the ball back to the Coyotes....

Lele Grissett is finding herself as a player now that she's playing more as a Guard instead of Forward. She still has the length to fill in at F and help with rebounding and shot-blocking, but she's more dynamic as a Guard/Wing......

Sloppy basketball by the Gamecocks - they now have 16 turnovers through 3 quarters - but they still continue to out-score the South Dakota Coyotes, and lead by 20 62-42 through 3 Periods......

Coyotes doubling up the Gamecocks in scoring in the 4th Quarter: Coach Staley holding hard to her heavy rotation philosophy, and it looks like it's keeping her team from settling down. Coyotes now out-rebounding the Gamecocks - they are leaving their starters in all game long. Gamecocks bench has out-scored South Dakota 30-0, but lots of lapses on defense and tons and tons of turnovers giving the Coyotes all the help they can take.

Gamecocks still lead 72-57, under 4 minutes to play.....

Gamecocks end up needing every one of those extra 12 points they got over South Dakota in the 1st Period, and get out of the game with the 73-60 win, to improve to 12-1. Junior reserve Lele Grissett leads the Gamecocks with 17 points on 6-10 shooting, and 6 rebounds. The SEC season begins next with Kentucky coming to Columbia on January 2nd......

Hate I didn't get to follow the game any. Working nights I sleep until about 2. Glad for another win against a ranked team. Sounds like they need to get a little bit corrected before next game. Kentucky will be a harder game to win, but I really think this team could make a run for it all. They have 4 other ranked teams in the SEC alone to play including UK twice and Ark. twice. Going to be fun to watch the conference match ups now. We are 3-1 against ranked teams. Hope that becomes 9-1. This team can do it.

Hate I didn't get to follow the game any. Working nights I sleep until about 2. Glad for another win against a ranked team. Sounds like they need to get a little bit corrected before next game. Kentucky will be a harder game to win, but I really think this team could make a run for it all. They have 4 other ranked teams in the SEC alone to play including UK twice and Ark. twice. Going to be fun to watch the conference match ups now. We are 3-1 against ranked teams. Hope that becomes 9-1. This team can do it.
They have the replay on ESPN+. I bought it with the Disney+ bundle (also comes with Hulu) for like $13/mo. It seems like there are a lot of WBB games on it, so I would say it is a good investment but that's about all I have used it for.