Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What book is on your nightstand right now?

OK I just finished off Project Hail Mary. It is well worth the read just like Weir's other books.

Currently reading this for the 2nd time.  It takes place in the often overlooked China, Burma, India theater of war.  A good read on guerrilla warfare and there is a very interesting true story involving the author of the book and his father.

View attachment 2887
My uncle Paxton was a medic in Burma in WW 2, and wrote a book about it, if you are ever interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Boys-War-Paxton-Davis/dp/0895871696

He was an amazing, amazing guy. He was actually my mother's cousin, but I was always thought of him as my uncle.

I am now reading my kids summer reading books just to make sure I can tell if they did their reading...that being said I was introduced to an app called LIBBY...I am probably late to the party on this app but it is amazing...it is book sharing via libraries and makes it really easy to find books to read...you get them for two weeks and can transfer onto your Kindle...I still find it hard to believe that it is free

Just finished this:

510u5ZIT9jL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just started this; haven't read it since high school. Sort of like if Watership Down and The Lord of the Rings had a baby.

51BQD9e4lEL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This also looks like a good one.  Fairly new.  Just published last July.

Born in the Philippines to an American father and a Filipina mother, George Cooper was one of the few surviving veteran pilots who saw action over such fearsome targets as Rabaul and Wewak. Not just another flag-waving story of air combat, Jayhawk describes the war as it really was—a conflict with far-reaching tentacles that gripped and tore at not only the combatants, but also their families, their friends, and the way they lived their lives.

Jay Stout examines the story of Cooper’s growing up in gentle and idyllic pre-war Manila and how he grew to be the man he was. Stout reviews Cooper’s journey to the United States and his unlikely entry into the United States Army Air Forces. Trained as a B-25 pilot, Cooper was assigned to the iconic 345th Bomb Group and flew strafing missions that shredded the enemy, but likewise put himself and his comrades in grave danger. A husband and father, Cooper was pulled two ways by the call of duty and his obligation to his wife and daughter. And always on his mind was the family he left behind in the Philippines who were in thrall to the Japanese.
lf

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jayhawk-jay-a-stout/1136705757?ean=9781612008844

This is a new one that will be released on 11-2-2021.

On August 13, 1944, Joe Moser set off on his forty-fourth combat mission over occupied France. Soon, he would join almost 170 other Allied airmen as prisoners in Buchenwald, one of the most notorious and deadly of Nazi concentration camps. Tom Clavin's Lightning Down tells this largely untold and riveting true story.

Moser was just twenty-two years old, a farm boy from Washington State who fell in love with flying. During the War he realized his dream of piloting a P-38 Lightning, one of the most effective weapons the Army Air Corps had against the powerful German Luftwaffe. But on that hot August morning he had to bail out of his damaged, burning plane. Captured immediately, Moser’s journey into hell began.

Moser and his courageous comrades from England, Canada, New Zealand, and elsewhere endured the most horrific conditions during their imprisonment... until the day the orders were issued by Hitler himself to execute them. Only a most desperate plan would save them.
lf

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lightning-down-tom-clavin/1138462101?ean=9781250151278

I just finished Project Hail Mary based on what I saw on here...it is without a doubt one of my favorite books I have ever read...just enough science to be interesting and intellectual without going overboard...I like it better than Artemis and The Martian (though admittedly I saw the movie first and really like it)...I ordered a copy for my father in law for Christmas

I just finished Project Hail Mary based on what I saw on here...it is without a doubt one of my favorite books I have ever read...just enough science to be interesting and intellectual without going overboard...I like it better than Artemis and The Martian (though admittedly I saw the movie first and really like it)...I ordered a copy for my father in law for Christmas
Agree, Project Hail Mary is a very good story.  Got to love Rocky.  I've read all three Andy Weir books mentioned with Artemis being the weakest of the three (imho), and enjoyed all three.  The amount of science included adds some credibility to the plots, without "going overboard", as you noted.

Agree, Project Hail Mary is a very good story.  Got to love Rocky.  I've read all three Andy Weir books mentioned with Artemis being the weakest of the three (imho), and enjoyed all three.  The amount of science included adds some credibility to the plots, without "going overboard", as you noted.
Rocky is the best part of the story...and I agree about Artemis

I read that they are looking at making Project Hail Mary into a movie and that Ryan Gosling has signed on to produce and act

Rocky is the best part of the story...and I agree about Artemis

I read that they are looking at making Project Hail Mary into a movie and that Ryan Gosling has signed on to produce and act
If they do it as well as The Martian was done, then it'll be well worth watching. 

My books lately have been in the legal thriller genre. Unfortunately most of them have left me thinking that they're miscategorized. What I am looking for are books that deal with legal cases from the investigation through the trial, but far too many of them just involve lawyers in a generic action or spy story. The Nate Shephard series by Michael Stagg and the Sam Johnstone series by James Chandler have thus far been the best, but I blew through all of those books in a matter of weeks. 

I'm currently on the Jake Lassiter series by Paul Levine, but there's barely any courtroom scenes at all. They're good books, but they're not really what I'm looking for.

If they do it as well as The Martian was done, then it'll be well worth watching. 

My books lately have been in the legal thriller genre. Unfortunately most of them have left me thinking that they're miscategorized. What I am looking for are books that deal with legal cases from the investigation through the trial, but far too many of them just involve lawyers in a generic action or spy story. The Nate Shephard series by Michael Stagg and the Sam Johnstone series by James Chandler have thus far been the best, but I blew through all of those books in a matter of weeks. 

I'm currently on the Jake Lassiter series by Paul Levine, but there's barely any courtroom scenes at all. They're good books, but they're not really what I'm looking for.
I have read all of those series you mentioned above...if you are on kindle unlimited (which I assume based on your list there) try Sheldon Siegel, Dennis Carstens, John Ellsworth, Robert Bailey, Robin James, Scott Pratt and Stephen Penner...Ellsworth may not be as court room but the others are pretty good

Have you read any of the Lassiter vs Lord from Levine?  They have a little more courtroom stuff and of course if you have the libby app you can download Grisham via libraries for free 

The Robert Bailey stuff is a 4 book series and it is heavily influenced that the author's apparent love for Alabama football

I have read all of those series you mentioned above...if you are on kindle unlimited (which I assume based on your list there) try Sheldon Siegel, Dennis Carstens, John Ellsworth, Robert Bailey, Robin James, Scott Pratt and Stephen Penner...Ellsworth may not be as court room but the others are pretty good

Have you read any of the Lassiter vs Lord from Levine?  They have a little more courtroom stuff and of course if you have the libby app you can download Grisham via libraries for free 

The Robert Bailey stuff is a 4 book series and it is heavily influenced that the author's apparent love for Alabama football
Yeah I've read a few of the books from some of those authors. There was one that pissed me off, because the first book had a great trial but never wrapped up because the defendant was killed before the end of the trial. OK so I move onto book two, and the author does the same exact thing. So I stopped with that series. I'll check out some of those others and see what looks good.

I think you're probably thinking of Solomon vs. Lord, and I'm working my way to that series. I started with Bum Rap which puts Lassiter defending Solomon in a case. I liked it a lot, so I wanted to catch up on all of the previous books, which is why I'm currently going through the Jake Lassiter books. They're not bad, but just not really legal thrillers.

Yeah I read the Robert Bailey ones focused on the Professor all the way through the 4th one. He also has some out there with Bo Haynes as the protagonist. I got real tired of all of the Bama love and the unnecessary religious overtones, so I'm not going to read those. Other than that, the ones I read were pretty good.

Yeah I've read a few of the books from some of those authors. There was one that pissed me off, because the first book had a great trial but never wrapped up because the defendant was killed before the end of the trial. OK so I move onto book two, and the author does the same exact thing. So I stopped with that series. I'll check out some of those others and see what looks good.

I think you're probably thinking of Solomon vs. Lord, and I'm working my way to that series. I started with Bum Rap which puts Lassiter defending Solomon in a case. I liked it a lot, so I wanted to catch up on all of the previous books, which is why I'm currently going through the Jake Lassiter books. They're not bad, but just not really legal thrillers.

Yeah I read the Robert Bailey ones focused on the Professor all the way through the 4th one. He also has some out there with Bo Haynes as the protagonist. I got real tired of all of the Bama love and the unnecessary religious overtones, so I'm not going to read those. Other than that, the ones I read were pretty good.
Yep…Solomon vs lord!  Absolutely correct!