Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here does there own wings

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Nothing like some tasty sweet Wings!! Lots of places to get wings. Seems everybody sells them now. I like to cook up my own.

I have mimicked Wild Wings Flaming Parmesan for years now. I made the statement that the ‘sauce was like crack. If you drop your napkin in it, you’ll suck on your napkin.’ So, we named my version “chicken crack” wings:

butter

mayo

buffalo sauce

parm cheeze

I also do my own teriyaki wings:

brown sugar

teriyaki sauce

soy sauce

and my new favorite is habanero honey:

habanero peppers blended with lime juice

honey and butter simmered

then add the habanero extract to desired heat

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some on the grill as we speak.
bf5af38c3103722161de79ad1207e674.jpg

I like to double fry mine. 

Fry them once at a lower temp, say ~250 degrees until they're done. 20 minutes or so Then let them cool before cranking the heat to 375-400 (depending on what oil you use) to fry them crispy. 5-10 minutes.

I have made some tasty smoked wings in the Bradley.  My next experiment will be to try them in the air fryer.  Maybe even the IP.

I do.  We like to smoke/grill them first on the BGE.  Toss them in some hot sauce then return to the grill a few mins.  Awesome.  

I make a vinegar hot sauce, pretty much what I use for pork. Marinate them in that and then onto the grill/smoker. After I flip them I will label some of the extra sauce over them. Come out delicious. 

I like to "smoke my wings on my RECTEC Pellet Smoker.  They taste great, tender and moist.  I was always a "Fried Wing Man" until I started smoking them myself and even though it is a little bit of a different taste, they are great.  I saw a show a couple of weeks ago where a guy was smoking his wings until they were done and then dropped them in a deep fry - just long enough for them to hit the bottom and come back up and he claimed that this enhanced the flavor.  I think that I will try them that way one day soon.

My favorite place to eat "Traditional Fried Wings" is the Wing King or Wing Bonz in Rock Hill, SC.  I have eaten wings all over SC and GA and these people make some of the best that I have ever had.  I think that they have a couple of locations in the York County area and I think that they serve about 23 or more different flavor types for all tastes and appetites.   I saw J. Clowney in the Oak Ave Restaurant one day and he is one big dude!!!

This is my go to for dine in/take out.  Even if I am getting a lamb burger or a cheesesteak I always add on their house spicy dry rub wings with a side of mango habanero sauce. They are just that good.

http://theheroesgrill.net/

I saw a show a couple of weeks ago where a guy was smoking his wings until they were done and then dropped them in a deep fry - just long enough for them to hit the bottom and come back up and he claimed that this enhanced the flavor.  I think that I will try them that way one day soon.
I've been toying with the idea of doing that. I love the flavor of smoked wings, but I miss the crisp skin I get from frying. On the other hand I hate frying anything, mostly because it's so damn messy. What I was thinking is adopting my double fry technique to a smoke and air fry method. Smoke them until done then air fry for the crispy skin. I keep saying I need to try it, but I keep forgetting to get around to it.

I've been toying with the idea of doing that. I love the flavor of smoked wings, but I miss the crisp skin I get from frying. On the other hand I hate frying anything, mostly because it's so damn messy. What I was thinking is adopting my double fry technique to a smoke and air fry method. Smoke them until done then air fry for the crispy skin. I keep saying I need to try it, but I keep forgetting to get around to it.
My RECTEC Chef tells me to "turn up the heat" if I want the skin a little bit more crispy and I have thought of doing that and I hope it does not make the wings too tough.  Smoking them does give them a tender, moist, taste, but I do miss the "Fried Wings" at times.  I also agree with you on the "mess of having to fry something up", but I am most likely going to try it the next time I "smoke my wings".

I'll try this as well.  My Phillips basket style air fryer is great for most things but for wings and such I want to lay them out flat, not bunch them all up.  To that end I picked up an Emeril's 360 air fryer oven on sale.  Perfect compliment to the basket.  Even has a rotisserie. 

I like to double fry mine. 

Fry them once at a lower temp, say ~250 degrees until they're done. 20 minutes or so Then let them cool before cranking the heat to 375-400 (depending on what oil you use) to fry them crispy. 5-10 minutes.
The guy on Binging With Babish does this and swears it is the bomb.com!

The technique runs from 2:10 to 3:10...

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy on Binging With Babish does this and swears it is the bomb.com!

The technique runs from 2:10 to 3:10...
Yep that's pretty much the technique. I got it from watching somebody double fry french fries, and I figured it would work for wings too. He's 100% accurate about the crunchiness. This method is by far the best I've tried for that. I've seen people swear by a quick dredge in corn starch, and they are certainly crispy at first, but they get really soggy after about 10 minutes or so.

I tried grilling then airfrying wings today. Some of them turned out somewhat crispy, some not so much. Maybe it's because I make them naked with just some cajun seasoning or I need to adjust my cook times. I did like 5 min each side to high heat for grill marks, then did 12 min on indirect heat and then about 7-8 min in the airfryer.

I did some excellent "smoked wings" last night and I did not have time to try to "fry a few of them after smoking", but they were so good and moist and

and I had so of them for "leftovers today".  As I stated earlier, I still want to try to "fry a few after smoking them", but that's for another day.

I tried grilling then airfrying wings today. Some of them turned out somewhat crispy, some not so much. Maybe it's because I make them naked with just some cajun seasoning or I need to adjust my cook times. I did like 5 min each side to high heat for grill marks, then did 12 min on indirect heat and then about 7-8 min in the airfryer.
I do mine on my RECTEC Pellet Smoker.  I marinated my wings in lemon juice and apple cider vinegar for about 30 minutes.  Then I took them out of the marination and seasoned them according to the way we like them (not very hot or spicy).  I cooked mine for 2 hours at 250F and turning them after one hour.  Then after my two hour smoking time - I then took them inside and wrapped them and allowed them to rest for about thirty minutes (optional).  They were tender, moist and very flavorful.  Some of the best I have ever made.

I have never tried to air fry wings before.