Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here does there own wings

I tried grilling then airfrying wings today. Some of them turned out somewhat crispy, some not so much. Maybe it's because I make them naked with just some cajun seasoning or I need to adjust my cook times. I did like 5 min each side to high heat for grill marks, then did 12 min on indirect heat and then about 7-8 min in the airfryer.
I spritz mine with oil before putting them in the AF

So, I saw a youtube video on some "crispy grilled wings" that were doused in flour and seasoning then grilled to a crispy perfection. I tried to replicate them last weekend, and ended up ordering pizza they were so bad. Well, tonight, I tried lightly pan frying some seasoned (salt, pepper, garlic, and ground up dried habanero) but otherwise naked wings about 4-5 min a side and then grilled them for about 10 min a side, then cooked them on indirect heat for 15-20 minutes, and they were some of the best wings I've ever done. They had that crispy crunch that I'd been looking for and were not greasy or heavy.

So, I saw a youtube video on some "crispy grilled wings" that were doused in flour and seasoning then grilled to a crispy perfection. I tried to replicate them last weekend, and ended up ordering pizza they were so bad. Well, tonight, I tried lightly pan frying some seasoned (salt, pepper, garlic, and ground up dried habanero) but otherwise naked wings about 4-5 min a side and then grilled them for about 10 min a side, then cooked them on indirect heat for 15-20 minutes, and they were some of the best wings I've ever done. They had that crispy crunch that I'd been looking for and were not greasy or heavy.
I have never done them this way, but that does sound like they would be very good!!!

My smoked wings are very delicious, but I would like a little bit more crispy taste to them.  You may have the ticket for the right way on yours.

The trick is to chill them all the way until cold before frying them. So you can smoke them, then put them on a rack in the fridge for an hour or two, and then deep-fry them like you would any other Wing. You guys will be amazed. Lately, I've been getting lazy and just throwing the wings in the instant pot with a bottle of Teriyaki or hot sauce and cooking them for six or seven minutes under high pressure. Then I take them out and put them on a rack in the fridge till they are cold. Then I deep fry them for about 4 minutes and holy crap are they crispy and delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been fighting off some type of head/chest - bug for about 9 days now, but I did get out there last night and do some "smoked wings" for me and my wife and they were awesome again!  I put them in some apple cider vinegar and lemon juice for about 30 minutes after washing them.  Then I put them in a Extra Virgin Olive Oil Bath until they were all coated and then put my seasoning on them.  I cooked them about 250 for one hour and then flipped them and did another hour.  I had some Texas Pete Wing Sauce and I put about 8 of them in an aluminum pan and cooked them about 15 minutes longer and I liked them, but my wife likes her without the hot/spicy flavor that she thinks is in the Texas Pete.  To be honest, Texas Pete Wing Sauce does have a tad bit of heat, but not a whole lot and especially a lot milder than a majority of wings sauces out there on the market now.  I think once again when I have more time and feel better - I am going to soak about 8 or ten wings in the Texas Pete Wing Sauce - then smoke them for two hours and then have my deep fryer ready and just dunk them in and out to see what this taste like.  I like trying them different ways and hopefully that will be a new way for me, but I have got to admit that just taking them off my RECTEC Pellet Smoker after two hours and eating them is just an awesome adventure.

Got some on the grill as we speak.
Hey SA, it looks like you have the "Black Egg" like I do?  I really enjoy mine and having been using it for about two years now - all four seasons.  My step-son bought him the BGE and paid a heck of lot more money than I did and I can do everything that he can do and he does not have the upper grill like we do.  He may get a little bit better heat/temp rating from his ceramic cooker than mine, but I saved about a $1,000.00 per what he paid and I am having a blast with mine.  I have to admit that I use it for steaks and hamburgers mostly now since my wife bought me the RT 700 RECTEC Bull - Pellet Smoker.  That's my low and slow baby and I can cook/smoke up about anything out there with this thing.  I truly love it, but I also love my Black Egg.  Good Cooking/Grilling To You - Weekend Pit Master!!!

Hey SA, it looks like you have the "Black Egg" like I do?  I really enjoy mine and having been using it for about two years now - all four seasons.  My step-son bought him the BGE and paid a heck of lot more money than I did and I can do everything that he can do and he does not have the upper grill like we do.  He may get a little bit better heat/temp rating from his ceramic cooker than mine, but I saved about a $1,000.00 per what he paid and I am having a blast with mine.  I have to admit that I use it for steaks and hamburgers mostly now since my wife bought me the RT 700 RECTEC Bull - Pellet Smoker.  That's my low and slow baby and I can cook/smoke up about anything out there with this thing.  I truly love it, but I also love my Black Egg.  Good Cooking/Grilling To You - Weekend Pit Master!!!
Yep - It's the Char-Grill knock-off the big green egg. I got it as a hand me down when my brother-in-law moved to Germany. Have had great success with it. I have never used a Big Green Egg so I can't compare it. But it has never let me down.

So I finally did the smoke/fry thing with some wings.

I grabbed some wings, and gave them a tiny bit of salt and some garlic powder.

RNFz7ek.jpg

Smoked at around 225-250 for about 45 minutes. They had an internal temp of about 175 when I pulled them.

bUthwC3.jpg

Then I fried them in 350 degree oil for just a few minutes - long enough to crisp the skin before tossing them in a traditional butter/hot sauce mixture.

05bGOrH.jpg

What type of thermometer are y'all using to check your wing temp?  They are so small I tried to really small digital, but it did not seem to be really accurate.  Curious as if anyone has a preferred brand they use. 

I just have a little $10 digital handheld one I bought at Walmart a while back. If your wings are large enough, you can slide the probe right in the middle of one of the flats or in the thickest part of one of the drummettes. Jut make sure the tip doesn't touch bone or go all the way through. I wouldn't try using one of those probes that you leave in while cooking. It probably wouldn't stay in place.

I purchased a Blackstone back around November and have been practicing with everything I can think of and even find on youtube. For my wings I made my own blend sauce with a few different "heat" varieties to come out with the right kick and flavor that I liked and my guest said that they loved. I placed them on the griddle and cooked them about 80% then coated them with the sauce and finished grilling them. This made a nice glaze and  they stayed crispy but very juicy. After pulling them off, I rolled them in a bowl full of sauce again. Came out great!!

wing 1.jpg

wing 2.jpg