Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be the next Baseball head coach?

Is Mainieri a good coach? I bet Ray would say so.
He started coaching LSU in 2008.
In 2008, Mainieri and LSU swept Coach Tanner @ LSU.
In 2009, they won the series 2-1 here and beat him in Hoover.
In 2010 and 2011, our championship years, we did not even face LSU. Hmmmm
In 2012 they won the series 2-1 here again.
That means Mainieri was 8-2 against Ray

Solid resume but has not coached in the NIL/portal era, either.

We'll see...
Do not forget that LSU associate director of program development and recruiting Terry Rooney will join Mainieri at South Carolina as his pitching coach. He is bringing a younger man with plenty of NIL and Portal experience to work beside him.

LSU has been one of the most talented teams year after year for years. If Rooney can continue to bring in that level talent, there is no do doubt Mainieri can handle the game management.

Tanner recently fired three of his head coaches at the University of South Carolina.

He first fired men’s golf head coach Bill McDonald on May 23 after McDonald spent 18 seasons with the Gamecocks. Under his direction, he helped lead the team to a program-record 29 tournament wins with 34 individual tournament winners.

Didn't know about the golf coach.

South Carolina opened its checkbook to keep Lee in Columbia and doubled his annual salary.

Under a new contract approved Tuesday by the South Carolina Board of Trustees’ governance committee, Lee will be on a three-year contract that will pay him $550,000 a year — up from the $275,000 he was making as associate head coach and recruiting coordinator the past two season..

Must be nice, man.

Mainieri, Lee, Rooney, and Hendry sound like a really good staff. Although, Hendry is still working on getting his contract approved.
I can't wait to see what they bring in from the Portal.

The Coach and Staff will bring instant increase of credibility in baseball recruiting circles. Especially with high school and travel ball coaches. It shows we’re serious about developing, recruiting and winning, which should translate quickly to the portal players. I’m excited to see how this plays out in the near future and long term for USC Baseball.

Well I feel a little better about this after seeing him. He's a "young" looking 66 and the staff appears to be as good as any in baseball. We'll see going forward.

Big result already; Petry stated he will not be going anywhere after he heard about the new coaches. He is staying here for another year.

Kind of obvious why Tanner thinks so highly of Mainieri.
That means Mainieri was 8-2 against Ray.

Kind of obvious why Tanner thinks so highly of Mainieri.
That means Mainieri was 8-2 against Ray.

I think it's probably that, plus probably anticipating Mainieri handing over the reigns to Lee when he's ready to retire for good after Lee has had a chance to learn from him.