Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams preparing to carry the load

Julien

Fanatics Cash
6_3548118.jpg

Whichever quarterback ends up winning the starting job at South Carolina, a lack of experience will be part of the conversation. Something that can help alleviate the pressure on an inexperienced quarterback is handing the ball off to establish a run game.

Sophomore David Williams and senior Brandon Wilds are the two tailbacks that will be relied on to carry a major offensive load for the Gamecocks in 2015. Williams said he’s ready for that responsibility.

“We came into camp knowing that we’re going to be leaning on the running backs heavily this year. We’re just preparing right now to take on that load,” Williams said. “We’ve got a veteran group and me and B-Wilds have to take over.”

After redshirting his true freshman year and then getting his feet wet last season, Williams has high expectations for himself this fall and has put in the work off the field to be ready.

“Just being a student of the game. I’ve been in my playbook hard every night, I’ve been practicing my plays, studying the playbook, and just getting better all around as a running back. This might be the most exciting season since I’ve been here.”

The 6-1, 222-pound running back is hypothetically behind Wilds on the depth chart, but the combo is looked at as a 1A-1B tandem.

“Before fall camp even started, coach Sands sat B-Wilds and me down together and basically told us ‘you need to come out here and push yourselves everyday.’ The job is open for either one of us,” Williams said. “I’ve just been coming out here everyday, working hard and being the best athlete I can be.”