Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Year 2 Comparison: Lamont vs. Frank

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
I started going to the CLA on a regular basis starting with the SEC home games during the 2013-14 season, Frank's second year.

At some point as the season wore on, it looked like we only played well after the kids started doing their own thing, but once I started following Frank's PG pressers I realized that it was the opposite of what I thought and we only played when they stuck to his system.

That's essentially the way things went during his time here. His system was great when it worked, but you needed a player like Sin jumping through the bigs in the paint to get the extra offense needed to win games.

Lamont's system seems more conventional and more likely to be successful in the long run with the right players and match-ups. We need to be better in the paint on offense, but I already see a big difference in Year 2 compared to that of Frank.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Frank's defense force opposing teams to clank from the perimeter in the last 10 minutes of a game, but Lamont's system is more like those teams who beat Frank's system enough to keep us out of the post-season all those years.

Just my two cents.

I started going to the CLA on a regular basis starting with the SEC home games during the 2013-14 season, Frank's second year.

At some point as the season wore on, it looked like we only played well after the kids started doing their own thing, but once I started following Frank's PG pressers I realized that it was the opposite of what I thought and we only played when they stuck to his system.

That's essentially the way things went during his time here. His system was great when it worked, but you needed a player like Sin jumping through the bigs in the paint to get the extra offense needed to win games.

Lamont's system seems more conventional and more likely to be successful in the long run with the right players and match-ups. We need to be better in the paint on offense, but I already see a big difference in Year 2 compared to that of Frank.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Frank's defense force opposing teams to clank from the perimeter in the last 10 minutes of a game, but Lamont's system is more like those teams who beat Frank's system enough to keep us out of the post-season all those years.

Just my two cents.
Let me preface my remarks by saying that when Frank was hired here I was very excited and was a Frank fan right up to the end. My brother and I bought season tickets for the first 6 years Frank was here.

The first 2 years the attendance was pretty sparse and we would often move down as close to the floor as possible. Many times we were 4-6 rows behind the bench.

I can promise you that I'm no prude, I've been in nightclubs in Germany and Hungary that would make Bill Clinton blush. I spent 24 years in the Army and am not opposed to yelling at people but the stuff I heard coming out of Frank's mouth was totally out of bounds IMO.

I can certainly understand why many kids didn't want to play for him. I couldn't have talked to soldiers (outside of Basic Training) the way Frank talked to his players. I believe Lamont will end up being a much better Coach than Frank was.

Just my two cents.
I would love to be in a position where we consistently make the Turney. I'm not calling for national championships, just would like to be considered a good program. Same for football.

Let me preface my remarks by saying that when Frank was hired here I was very excited and was a Frank fan right up to the end. My brother and I bought season tickets for the first 6 years Frank was here.

The first 2 years the attendance was pretty sparse and we would often move down as close to the floor as possible. Many times we were 4-6 rows behind the bench.

I can promise you that I'm no prude, I've been in nightclubs in Germany and Hungary that would make Bill Clinton blush. I spent 24 years in the Army and am not opposed to yelling at people but the stuff I heard coming out of Frank's mouth was totally out of bounds IMO.

I can certainly understand why many kids didn't want to play for him. I couldn't have talked to soldiers (outside of Basic Training) the way Frank talked to his players. I believe Lamont will end up being a much better Coach than Frank was.
@Blitzkrieg you're not wrong. I was (and still am) a Frank guy too. But his demeanor was one where you had to WANT to play for him, knowing you’d get abused verbally. Most guys don’t want that these days, and that showed in his inability to recruit in the two years following the NCAA success. That and the in-state stars not staying home (for the previously discussed reason).

All success to Lamont Paris, however. I think he is showing his strengths in both recognizing talent AND a strong understanding of coaching the X’s and O’s. Just watch what he does when the guys come back to the bench… he’s always instructing and getting in faces too (but only when needed). Good stuff coming, and soon, for the new regime.