Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beamer to OU rumors

B_Amazing

Fanatics Cash
Rumors are now pretty heavy that OU is targeting Beamer.  My first thought is Beamer wants to be here and wouldn’t go.  But that pessimistic side always creeps in, I have said numerous times on this board that I was all for the Beamer hire and wanted to see what he could build.  If he were to leave I feel like the Gamecocks get set back 2-3 years at best.  He was an outside the box hire and I don’t know if we could take that chance again. While it’s not a premium destination SC does have things to offer.  At this point I’m just concerned!

On a related note, the entire state of Oklahoma is so pissed at Riley right now - very much similar levels of hate and anger as UT fans when Kiffen left. He had just got done telling them "all is well" on Saturday, re: the LSU job, and left the next day.

And FWIW, he may be on a list put together by reporters/"insiders," but I don't see it - they need a Campbell/Fickell type of hire.

if Beamer leaves I would be shocked...I just can't see it happening...of course if it does then back to the drawing board again and at this point I am not sure what Ray Tanner has to sell to anyone

Like many Gamecock fans I probably spend a little to much money each season on going to games and gear.  I can honestly say that this year is the first year I have been excited for football since Spurrier left.  With WM as coach I wouldn’t even go to a big game due to having 0 belief in him or his staff.  All that being said if CSB leaves things would be rough for this fanbase as a whole.  I know much of it is coaches speak but a lot of coaches and even other fan bases see he has brought a new culture to our team.

Maybe his good friend Dabo, will help him pack. After all. "Saturday was just another game"
I dislike the a$$hat known as Dabo as much as anyone.  I do know that Spurrier and a$$hat use to go golfing several times a year, during the off-season and sometimes during the season.  While I’ll never be a fan of anything orange I can’t hold it against our coach that he doesn’t have the same disdain for him the fans do.  Also Spurrier called it “just another game” all season long too.  He only referred to it any different when he was ribbing the a$$hat.

Funny. I'm seeing more reports of Venables to OU. 
That I would approve of, takes a really good recruiter out of this area.  Don’t care much for him, I think most of his reputation has been built on beating inferior ACC talent, but he has recruited well to that side of the ball.

Funny. I'm seeing more reports of Venables to OU. 
Be a good fit at Oaky and he will be in the SEC in another couple years when Oaky becomes full SEC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The latest rumor: Venables will be announced as early as this afternoon - reports have him on the ground in Norman.

I don't see any fans in OU being happy hiring Beamer.  I think whoever started that rumor is laughing right now.  Their fans will mutiny if they do not get a big name there.  

OU fans: Venables is here! I saw him at the airport!

CU fans: I just had lunch with him at the okra stand 20 mins ago, bro.

Carolina fans: You're both dix.

I believe he will turn us around and have us better than this season next year, but Shane still hasn't proven he is anything more than a great recruiter who relies on a successful, veteran HC (instead of him) to do the real work of turning his recruits into successful players.

Unless the Sooners like getting shut-out by OKST and going to the toilet bowl every year, he's not going anywhere.

I believe he will turn us around and have us better than this season next year, but Shane still hasn't proven he is anything more than a great recruiter who relies on a successful, veteran HC (instead of him) to do the real work of turning his recruits into successful players.

Unless the Sooners like getting shut-out by OKST and going to the toilet bowl every year, he's not going anywhere.
Beamer went 6-6 his first year hear with almost no talent or depth to rely on, he didn't get the first 3  O. C. coordinators wanted  it's even tougher this year with al the coaches moving around I have been hard on him at times but I do believe that South Carolina has the right guy he just needs more help.   I said he would go 6-6 maybe 5 and 6 this year back in the spring I didn't see much more than that I thought maybe 7 wins but that was just my heart not my mind thinking. 

Why would they hire an D guy at O.U.  They have one on staff, not buying into Venables. but maybe so, 

And FWIW, he may be on a list put together by reporters/"insiders," but I don't see it - they need a Campbell/Fickell type of hire.
Agreed.  Big time programs don't make the types of moves we've seen and then do something like this.  All due respect to Beamer, but he's not HC material for a program like OU right now in his career.  Their boosters and AD know this.  This is all rumor and nonsense. 

Chatter involving coaching changes/moves always happens this time of year.

Venables is really the only coordinator with a good enough resume to go anywhere right now.  James Franklin was the only other desirable candidate for some of the major vacancies, but PSU squashed that possibility with a 10-year extension.

It's been a bumpy season for us, but I am really glad we don't have to go looking for a new coaching staff right now.

Recruiting, prepping for a possible bowl game, and getting players ready for the combine give Shane a full plate of things to do right now.

Not to mention academics and graduations.