Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grilling Steak

dreammachine

Fanatics Cash
Well I grilled two lovely "ribeye steaks" tonight for me and my wife and they turned out beautiful and tasted awesome!!  Cooked them on my "Black Egg Ceramic Cooker" and got the sear marks on both sides and then moved them up to the next level in my ceramic cooker and cook them to a medium rare and put them in a plate and covered them with a little butter and allowed them to rest for about 20 minutes and then we made our plates and the steaks were juicy and tender.  They are so good that it is hard for me to go out and eat steaks at a restaurant anymore.  Do any of you ever feel that way?

So, how many of you Gamecock Fanatics love to grill steaks and how do you do them???

I love Cooking steaks, I am a devout follower of the cast iron skillet method. Bring them to room temp, pat dry, rub a little oil on them, season heavily with salt and pepper. Get the cast iron skillet as hot as you can and do about 3 min a side. I usually finish off in a 450 deg. oven or on the grill for some grill marks. 

I love Cooking steaks, I am a devout follower of the cast iron skillet method. Bring them to room temp, pat dry, rub a little oil on them, season heavily with salt and pepper. Get the cast iron skillet as hot as you can and do about 3 min a side. I usually finish off in a 450 deg. oven or on the grill for some grill marks. 
My oldest brother and his wife love to do them that way.  In fact they would rather do it that way than to charcoal grill one????

Hear that wheel squeaking the distance?  Yeah, that's me.  I want to be able to cook steaks to EXACT temperatures.  I ant my steaks to be exquisitely tender.  I want to be able to cook a number of steaks to different degrees of doneness and all ready at the same time.  I want to be able to do so with little stress that enables me to enjoy my guests.   Sous vide gives me all of those things.  I dry brine them individually bagged with just S&P and garlic powder for a day or so.  Then into the bath set for the least degree of doneness I want for steak #1.  That come out, ice bathed, labelled, and into the fridge.  Raise the temps for other steaks and repeat.  The precisely cooked steaks are now Pasteurized and good for up to a month.  Ugly as hell too at that stage.  When it is time to serve I retherm, dry well, and sear.  Beautiful!

Now lets talk about that searing.  Grill marks nowadays scream failure to me. The Maillard reaction that creates that lovely coloring also creates it flavor.  Why in the world would I want a steak with only strips of maximum flavor?   No, I want it edge to edge.  Therefore I sear in a screaming hot cast iron skillet, with a torch, or directly over hot charcoal in the starter chimney.  These methods take only 30-60 seconds per side.  

Does anyone finish theirs teaks?  Some are carved.  Others gussied up in ne way or another.  Sometimes I go the Ruth's Chris route and serve the steak on a platter of sizzling her butter.  Some cuts such as picanha I serve with a chimichurri.  A very lean but tender cut that lacks flavor will sometimes be served with a Béarnaise.  Most of the times I just sear & serve though.  Due to the lower temp cooing of sous vide there is no need to let the meat rest.

Hear that wheel squeaking the distance?  Yeah, that's me.  I want to be able to cook steaks to EXACT temperatures.  I ant my steaks to be exquisitely tender.  I want to be able to cook a number of steaks to different degrees of doneness and all ready at the same time.  I want to be able to do so with little stress that enables me to enjoy my guests.   Sous vide gives me all of those things.  I dry brine them individually bagged with just S&P and garlic powder for a day or so.  Then into the bath set for the least degree of doneness I want for steak #1.  That come out, ice bathed, labelled, and into the fridge.  Raise the temps for other steaks and repeat.  The precisely cooked steaks are now Pasteurized and good for up to a month.  Ugly as hell too at that stage.  When it is time to serve I retherm, dry well, and sear.  Beautiful!

Now lets talk about that searing.  Grill marks nowadays scream failure to me. The Maillard reaction that creates that lovely coloring also creates it flavor.  Why in the world would I want a steak with only strips of maximum flavor?   No, I want it edge to edge.  Therefore I sear in a screaming hot cast iron skillet, with a torch, or directly over hot charcoal in the starter chimney.  These methods take only 30-60 seconds per side.  

Does anyone finish theirs teaks?  Some are carved.  Others gussied up in ne way or another.  Sometimes I go the Ruth's Chris route and serve the steak on a platter of sizzling her butter.  Some cuts such as picanha I serve with a chimichurri.  A very lean but tender cut that lacks flavor will sometimes be served with a Béarnaise.  Most of the times I just sear & serve though.  Due to the lower temp cooing of sous vide there is no need to let the meat rest.
Dang Yancey, I am grilling - 4  - nice - two - inch thick- ribeyes on my ceramic black egg on Saturday Night and you have giving me so much to consider here "that I don't know if I am washing or hanging out'????  Seriously, you make some great points once again "Oh Great Sultan Of Sultry Dishes"!!!!  Bobby Flay does steaks somewhat like you are talking about - except he uses a charcoal grill with indirect heat on one side then the high heat on the other and when he thinks his steaks are ready - he already has his black iron skillet hot and ready and cuts his steak into slices and puts garlic butter on and in between each slice.  I tried it once and forgot to get the black iron skillet hot enough before I started heating my steaks up and this just made them tougher.  By then my Rolling Rocks had ganged up on me and they won????  Did not matter as everyone else thought I was a genius and that everything tasted good.  Ain't it amazing how alcohol can make your guest really think that you know what you are doing???  I will never tell!!!

I have been cooking all my beef lately using the reverse sear method. The steaks always come out tender and the method allows you to keep as much of the steak taste as you want. Please try if you haven't. 

This is exactly the way I do it. It smokes up the house something  fierce, but the end product is well worth opening some windows. I don't do the oil thing though, and I add the salt right at the start of the "bringing to room temp" stage. I also save the pepper for the end.

This is exactly the way I do it. It smokes up the house something  fierce, but the end product is well worth opening some windows. I don't do the oil thing though, and I add the salt right at the start of the "bringing to room temp" stage. I also save the pepper for the end.
haha yeah, I set the smoke alarm off more often than not when I do it inside. My grill has a side burner so sometimes I use the grill to avoid scaring the dog. 

haha yeah, I set the smoke alarm off more often than not when I do it inside. My grill has a side burner so sometimes I use the grill to avoid scaring the dog. 
I've thought about putting my skillet over my outdoor burner and doing it that way for much the same reason. That sucker will get a heck of a lot hotter than my stovetop will, so the cook times may vary.

I've thought about putting my skillet over my outdoor burner and doing it that way for much the same reason. That sucker will get a heck of a lot hotter than my stovetop will, so the cook times may vary.
Yeah, will make for a shorter sear time certainly. My grill gets up to 450 or so which is probably a bit hotter than my oven actually gets so I just shorten everything slightly. 

I did my (4) - 2"- thick ribeye steaks last Saturday on my Black Egg Ceramic Cooker and I used Ghee Butter - due to the higher temp rating this has.  I also used my regular rub on the steaks, but I have to state for the record that the "Ghee Butter" just gave these steaks and outstanding taste and plus I cooked them to perfection per temp.  I allowed them to rest for a short while and everyone was "just giving me the high-fives" as they said it was the best steak that they had ever had before.  I honestly believe that adding the "Ghee Butter" and buying premium steaks (and the thicker the better) are the ticket for making a great steak.  Of course cook them to the temps everyone prefers them at will also help you too!!!  If you have never used the "Ghee Butter" - it's worth a try as it does make a huge difference and you don't need to use that much.

I did my (4) - 2"- thick ribeye steaks last Saturday on my Black Egg Ceramic Cooker and I used Ghee Butter - due to the higher temp rating this has.  I also used my regular rub on the steaks, but I have to state for the record that the "Ghee Butter" just gave these steaks and outstanding taste and plus I cooked them to perfection per temp.  I allowed them to rest for a short while and everyone was "just giving me the high-fives" as they said it was the best steak that they had ever had before.  I honestly believe that adding the "Ghee Butter" and buying premium steaks (and the thicker the better) are the ticket for making a great steak.  Of course cook them to the temps everyone prefers them at will also help you too!!!  If you have never used the "Ghee Butter" - it's worth a try as it does make a huge difference and you don't need to use that much.
Absolutely. I like to buy steaks that are about 1 1/2" -2" thick, I find that much thicker and I have trouble cooking them through without burning the outside, much thinner than that and the window to cook  a steak to med-rare gets a lot smaller. 

Absolutely. I like to buy steaks that are about 1 1/2" -2" thick, I find that much thicker and I have trouble cooking them through without burning the outside, much thinner than that and the window to cook  a steak to med-rare gets a lot smaller. 
Another reason to sous vide

Yes, trying to keep them at the right temp can be a pain.  As Yancey stated, his way is a very good way to do them.  My step-son does them like Yancey and they come out tasting great, but I like mine a tad bit better (most likely a personal preference than anything) and I love the smoked/grilled taste.  Also on my Black Egg, I have another rack that is above the main grill rack and I can move mine up and away and also controls the air vents to regulate the heat.  A great temp probe is also a must to determine your doneness and allow them to rest after cooking (knowing that the heat/temp will rise some while resting).  That's about as good as you can do it.

We all need to stop by "Ole Yancey's House" when we are in the Sunshine State as this Ole Boy can cook up some good food!  I wonder if he would mine if I stayed about a week and tried his full menu as he does know how to cook a whole lot of good stuff???  His place would be easy to find - just follow the great smells of the awesome food he cooks and serves up!!!  HE JUST DOESN'T DO LIVER NIPS!!!

Picked up some prime rib eye cap steaks from COSTCO today.  They don't always have them.  There was only this one pack. Meat man saw me looking a it and we chatted a bit. I allowed that I was just a poor old retiree on his last legs. He gave me a 25% off card for it. There are still a few advantages to being old & decrepit!  LOL

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/WINsqVFiR0uNItZE15xMDg.7pI1BZ60d1NC0PBmnHseQg

Last edited by a moderator:
I actual sell beef...among other things...to restaurants here on the Outer Banks.  Mostly 'Certified Angus Beef' from prime only beef cooked over a super hot open wood/lump fired grill to those who use the super hot...1800 degrees...broiler like  a 'Ruth's Chris' to ones who just have a steak on the menu to fill the need.

One thing about getting good beef from a good steak house vs your grocery store/Costco/etc. is that most of the time the restaurant beef has been aged for some period of time.  Were talking anywhere from two to three weeks to a month or more if they have the right set up. This adds both flavor and tenderness that just doesn't happen with beef in your local grocery store...prime or not.

That being said, I am and have always been a fan of a reasonably thick cut...not more than 2 inches at the most...cooked at very high temperature. Steaks thicker than 2 inches go from being grilled/broiled to having to be almost 'roasted'.

I totally agree with what Yancy said about 'grill marks'...why have strips of color and added flavor when you can have the entire thing this way...hence the super high heat method. I do not however prefer the sous vide method over the high heat grill/broiler method...even though I will eat and enjoy almost any good cut of beef cooked properly. I believe the "Consistent inconsistency" of a steak cooked at very high temperatures adds to the mouth feel and flavor profile. There is the seared outer layer into the  transition  layer into the medium rare center vs the outer layer into the almost uniformly cooked 'center' that you get from the sous vide method. I am generalizing here to help explain why I like one vs the other. Both are clearly awesome I just like what happens when you marry a prime cut ribeye/strip about 1.5 inch thick with super hot heat.

Slow is your enemy...so is constantly flipping your steak...stop that shit right now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I actual sell beef...among other things...to restaurants here on the Outer Banks.  Mostly 'Certified Angus Beef' from prime only beef cooked over a super hot open wood/lump fired grill to those who use the super hot...1800 degrees...broiler like  a 'Ruth's Chris' to ones who just have a steak on the menu to fill the need.

One thing about getting good beef from a good steak house vs your grocery store/Costco/etc. is that most of the time the restaurant beef has been aged for some period of time.  Were talking anywhere from two to three weeks to a month or more if they have the right set up. This adds both flavor and tenderness that just doesn't happen with beef in your local grocery store...prime or not.

That being said, I am and have always been a fan of a reasonably thick cut...not more than 2 inches at the most...cooked at very high temperature. Steaks thicker than 2 inches go from being grilled/broiled to having to be almost 'roasted'.

I totally agree with what Yancy said about 'grill marks'...why have strips of color and added flavor when you can have the entire thing this way...hence the super high heat method. I do not however prefer the sous vide method over the high heat grill/broiler method...even though I will eat and enjoy almost any good cut of beef cooked properly. I believe the "Consistent inconsistency" of a steak cooked at very high temperatures adds to the mouth feel and flavor profile. There is the seared outer layer into the  transition  layer into the medium rare center vs the outer layer into the almost uniformly cooked 'center' that you get from the sous vide method. I am generalizing here to help explain why I like one vs the other. Both are clearly awesome I just like what happens when you marry a prime cut ribeye/strip about 1.5 inch thick with super hot heat.

Slow is your enemy...so is constantly flipping your steak...stop that shit right now!
You make some very good points here.  Quality meat from a quality butcher shop is so-----oooo much better than grocery store prime cuts.  I know you were speaking a lot in generalization, but I would also add that "resting of the meat" plays a large part in the taste/tenderness also.  Meat temp will rise during rests and this needs to be taken into account.