Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grilling Steak

Well, my wife bought a new toaster/convection oven. I was messing around with the functions and it looks like it gets up to about 500 deg, and has a broiler function. I am going to have to try and cook some steaks in it. I figure a few 2 inch thick rib-eyes, pan sear in a skillet then into a hot pan at 500 deg, with some butter and cook em that way for 5-6 min. 

I have been cooking all my beef lately using the reverse sear method. The steaks always come out tender and the method allows you to keep as much of the steak taste as you want. Please try if you haven't. 
I see a lot of people doing this now.  I have not tried it yet, but you give me another angle to think about as I use to do all of my steaks the low & slow method until I got a ceramic grill/cooker.  I could actually do this by cooking my steak on my RECTEC Smoker and then have my Black Egg ready to go and get that "reverse grill mark".  Thanks for the advice.

Picked up some prime rib eye cap steaks from COSTCO today.  They don't always have them.  There was only this one pack. Meat man saw me looking a it and we chatted a bit. I allowed that I was just a poor old retiree on his last legs. He gave me a 25% off card for it. There are still a few advantages to being old & decrepit!  LOL

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/WINsqVFiR0uNItZE15xMDg.7pI1BZ60d1NC0PBmnHseQg
Yancey, have you ever tried putting Ghee on your steaks before you cook them?  I have done this with the last three that I have grilled on my Black Egg and they have tasted and came out with a deeper and more smokier taste and are tender and juicy.  Now these steaks were also 1-3/4 inches to 2 inches thick - which will make a huge difference in your taste of your steak.

I like to grill them and do the cast iron skillet sometimes.   Grilling to me is also part of the fun and experience.  Rarely if ever does it turn out less than very good.   Prep, season, temp control, rest.   About 4 beers.    No disrespect but I just can’t get into the boiled in a bag style cook.   I’ve had them and would prefer mine or a good grilled/skillet version any day.   

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter cooked 3 porterhouse steaks last night on the Foreman grill. She had it perfectly medium and so tender... Best steak I've had in months!

Happy New Year and may it be filled with awesome steaks, yo!

Another reason to sous vide
Ok... I'm jumping on this tommorow... Found a nice prime 1.2 # 2" thick ribeye that I plan on sous vide-ing (spelling?) Tommorow. I was thinking seal it in a bag seasoned with salt and pepper and add some rosemary and garlic. 

How long and what btepnfor med well?

Anything else I should add or subtract?

I would leave out the greenery.  Just S,P, and G.  I do ribeyes at 135F for 3-4 hours.  Dry very well with paper towels.  They will be gray and ugly.  Then on to the sear.  I put a thin coat of mayo on them and then sear either directly on a charcoal chimney or in cast iron.  A good use of that rosemary is to add it t melted butter and spoon it over the steaks as they sear for a minute per side. 

I read through this thread for the first time on Thursday, and I decided to try the iron skillet sear method. It may be stupid, but I never thought about butcher shop meat being better, but at LBC’s advice, I went to Revival Butchery in Greenville on Friday and picked out two nice filets for Mrs. C&P and me. I read up on how to do it, and I made a little bit of a mistake. Most people said to use a bit of oil in the pan, and someone else said use butter. I thought butter would not be a good choice because of the lower smoke point, but tried it anyway. My pan was so hot that when I threw the butter in it caught on fire, so I dumped it on the ground and poured in some oil. I’ll tone down the salt a bit next time, but the filets were amazing! I seared each side for 2 minutes and then put it in the oven at 415 degrees for 5 minutes. The inside was a perfect medium rare. I have to admit that the butcher shop meat was night and day better than even Costco or Sam’s meat.

So, the wife found an incredible deal on a Kamado Joe, we put it together last weekend and I’ve been experimenting. Did burgers first, then smoked chicken half’s. Tonight is steak night.

I’m using one ceramic plate and a grate in the upper position for indirect heat. (25 min or so at 300) then I have the other grate in the lower position for searing off I’m hoping to get it up to 700 deg or so.

So far I’m very impressed with the temperature regulation and control.

So, the wife found an incredible deal on a Kamado Joe, we put it together last weekend and I’ve been experimenting. Did burgers first, then smoked chicken half’s. Tonight is steak night.

I’m using one ceramic plate and a grate in the upper position for indirect heat. (25 min or so at 300) then I have the other grate in the lower position for searing off I’m hoping to get it up to 700 deg or so.

So far I’m very impressed with the temperature regulation and control.
I have a BGE and I will tell you my favorite thing to cook on it is salmon...if you are a salmon eater I will say it is amazing. I use Magic Salmon seasoning and grill it skin down on the BGE and it is amazing...also surprisingly (to my at least) the consistently best salmon that we have found is at ALDI...they beat our local seafood markets hands down! My biggest beef with my BGE is that I have broken at least three ceramic plates for indirect heat though my cast iron plate is kind of fun for searing steaks....what charcoal do you use? I use the royal oak from Walmart

I have a BGE and I will tell you my favorite thing to cook on it is salmon...if you are a salmon eater I will say it is amazing. I use Magic Salmon seasoning and grill it skin down on the BGE and it is amazing...also surprisingly (to my at least) the consistently best salmon that we have found is at ALDI...they beat our local seafood markets hands down! My biggest beef with my BGE is that I have broken at least three ceramic plates for indirect heat though my cast iron plate is kind of fun for searing steaks....what charcoal do you use? I use the royal oak from Walmart
I’m not a seafood eater of any kind, but I’ve heard other people say the same thing. I’ve been using royal oak, it’s really nice how when your done cooking you can close it up and it doesn’t burn all the charcoal left inside.