Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you classify a successful football season?

How do you classify a successful football season?

• National Championship

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SEC Championship

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • SEC East Champions

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Beat Clemson, regardless of how many other wins we have

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 8+ wins regular season and be very competitive in the bowl game

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Bowl game plus better than .500 record

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Attend as many games as possible, tailgate, spend time with friends & family, not focus on wins

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Be competitive and show improvement over last year and during the season.  Win more than we lose is the easy answer, anything else is unreasonable.  Our definition of success will change with time.  Need better recruiting, coaching, evaluation and development.  Continue to improve those and our level of expectation should increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say 8 plus wins regular season and competitive / winning our bowl game.  Of course I want more - SEC East, SEC Champ, College Football playoff, but I think we need to start out with 8 plus wins being our barometer for now.  If we can start to see that success every year, I think we can build on it. 

I

I agree but I said winning the East because nobody's beating Bama right now. Maybe LSU, Aub or aTm will get it periodically though.
I will give us another 40 years to make it happen but after that I will seriously consider other alternatives.

"Successful" in 2021 is really anything that results in showing that last year was rock bottom and that we are on our way up, IMO.

As far as next season goes, anything above .500 has got to be a success for where we are right now.  We just need positive vibes so Beamer can work his magic on the recruiting trail.

I would like to feel like our starting QB is being placed and coached and schemed around in an effort to build success. It just feels like it has been a scattershot shitshow and a blur of coaching and execution  mediocrity in the post Jake era: Hilinski  --> Hill --> Doty. I think Doty could be quite good, so let's plan and build around him with a scheme that incorporates his skills. Feeling like that was occurring and seeing him grow would go a long way to seeing improvement in 2021.

Boom was a square peg/round hole guy when it came to QBs. He did not want to go with a Dual Threat guy or with an Offense geared to a DT QB, although (oddly) he did have the run/pass option.

That was my biggest gripe with Boom - he wanted to go with what worked at UGA when he was there, with a conservative ground attack on Offense, and a bend don't break D. Which only works if you have better talent than your opposition - and he never sold enough ice for that to happen.

Which is what I want to see from Beamer - more creative schemes that are better suited to our players,
Funny thing is he recruited some but did not give them an opportunity to play. That was crazy. 

I went with Beat Clemson because we would have to be very good across the board to be competitive and beat any Top 4 team at this point.

Gotta have them goals.

I kind of like to think that Dawn Staley's rise to the top of women's basketball is a good example of measuring success over a coach's tenure. She started out with nothing but each season she won more than the last and she won some recruiting battles that changed the face of the program.

If Beamer is to be successful, I expect a similar trajectory. We need to be back in a bowl game by season 2 and we need to win some recruiting battles along the way that will help elevate the program beyond .500 level.

I kind of like to think that Dawn Staley's rise to the top of women's basketball is a good example of measuring success over a coach's tenure. She started out with nothing but each season she won more than the last and she won some recruiting battles that changed the face of the program.

If Beamer is to be successful, I expect a similar trajectory. We need to be back in a bowl game by season 2 and we need to win some recruiting battles along the way that will help elevate the program beyond .500 level.
Love that analogy. +1

any university in the country would be lucky to have a coach of her caliber. I also hope we hired another one. 

Seems I am with the general consensus here:

There are various shades of "successful season" - some could be moderately successful, while others are tremendously successful. But they ALL are successful. So since the question doesn't provide specificity, The most minimal successful season for me would be a 8-win regular season, like 8-4, and then a good competitive bowl game. Because while going 7-5 is technically a winning season, these days a 7-5 is not much different than a 6-5 season back when seasons were 11 games long instead of 12.

Most seasons, that 12th extra game is typically an opponent that we should be favored against - especially for SEC programs: they ain't gonna schedule an extra tough opponent on top of their league schedule, even Alabama rarely if ever does that - and if we DO go 7-5 and then lose the bowl game, even after playing competitively in it, 7-6 is barely above a .500 season.

At least 8-5 with a competitive bowl loss is still several games above .500, and if we're fortunate to actually win that bowl game, then 9-4 is even better. Used to be not too long ago a 9-win season would almost be a program precedent for us.

But as I stated above to begin with, there are various shades of what is "successful" for our program, and various context it can fall into. A team that's already consistently going 8-5, 9-4 for several years going just 8-5 or 9-4 once again is going to have it's "success" value depreciate like someone driving the shiny new car off the car lot. I want to see positive progress - it shows that the staff we hired knows what it is doing in building the program, or is at least learning on the job as they go. It shows that they are continuing to work hard for their money, and not just settling in all fat and sassy because they are now millionaires.

So an 8-4 regular season plus a competitive bowl game is a good choice for me. It shows we are very competitive all season - still with room to grow - but with good potential to keep developing and progressing into even better success. It shows the prep talent out there that the staff aren't total idiots and are not driving the program off the cliff, and will help the staff bring in quality talent to help them make that progress happen.