Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you classify a successful football season?

How do you classify a successful football season?

• National Championship

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SEC Championship

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • SEC East Champions

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Beat Clemson, regardless of how many other wins we have

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 8+ wins regular season and be very competitive in the bowl game

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Bowl game plus better than .500 record

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Attend as many games as possible, tailgate, spend time with friends & family, not focus on wins

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
To me, expectations of success are based on the prior 3-4 years of a program. We've been trending down, so I think a successful season would be .500 with a bowl game. Hopefully we work our way up to where we expect to win the East, beat Clemson, make the CFP, etc.

Everyone wants to see 8+ wins, including me.

But biggest thing, I want to see good fundamentals. I want to see a staff and team on the same page. I want to see guys playing up to their potential, not playing below their potential.

Muschamp recruited some good players and had some good coaches (on paper)  For whatever reason, the last couple of years the entire team just seemed jumbled and wasn’t cohesive.

Lou’s first team here went 0-11, but those guys played hard....and in some cases played over their heads. They bought into what he was doing, which paid off the next couple of years before he ran out of gas. Same with Spurrier, he also just ran out of energy and motivation towards the end.

I like what CSB and the staff is doing, they’re injecting some energy, bringing some fresh ideas, selling a new product. IMHO a successful season can be a huge springboard.