Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saturday vs. Old Dominion

What question marks do you see?

I was talking about all the "OR"s in the chart, but since we are picked to finish in the bottom quarter of the SEC East this year, I would say all of them. LOL

Also applies to the coaching staff as well. LOL

I was talking about all the "OR"s in the chart, but since we are picked to finish in the bottom quarter of the SEC East this year, I would say all of them. LOL

Also applies to the coaching staff as well. LOL
LOL Roger that, I thought of that as depth... in the past we would have only one real option and the back up was a real option B, a panic mode if he got... instead of 2 option A's and a option B coming into the first game but I am a Garnet Glasses all the time, a glasses half full for sure, a cross my fingers, don't eat chicken on game day but also realist and this team has talent!

Until we play I agree on the coach part because until you see it, well, talking season is over Saturday!

Beamer’s post game:
(1) Beamer says ODU is a good football team. That’s not a good football team, he’s wrong.
(2) Celebrating the W in the locker room? Shouldn’t be.
(3) Have to coach better? - no joke, but coaching isn’t just in game, it’s prep and we didn’t look to have much of it.
(4) Responded to adversity? Yes, the defense and ODU QB/offense saved you to celebrate the W.
(5) Harbor saved a TD but got no catches, 1 target. No designed plays for him.
(6) Your QB tackled a RB -we will see this embarrassing play for years
(7) Basically injury free - that’s good
(8) QB ran 22 times, some by design, obviously. No designed pass or throw it away plays
(9) Protection issues and WR route running are also at fault, so it’s not just QB play.
(10) Beamer says we have a lot to clean up. This is accurate.
(11) Some WRs weren’t there until June and lists Harbor as one.
(12) Says OL played well and faults TE/WR blocking on the perimeter.
(13) Coaches have to do better rotating players into the game.

Beamer’s post game:

(6) Your QB tackled a RB -we will see this embarrassing play for years

(11) Some WRs weren’t there until June and lists Harbor as one.
Regarding (6), the "good" part of that is Sellers caught JuJu from behind -- showed some pretty good speed.

And for (11), I think Harbor was with track team during the Spring.

After a night of reflection, I will rescind my comments in the chat. Something about the game just didn’t sit right with me. Me looked inept at times, but when it really mattered, we did what was needed. I called the fumble recovery and interception at the end of the game, because it just felt like it was going to happen. It’s almost like we were toying with them a little. Now, I know every year we suck in the first game and someone will always say “we weren’t showing what we have so our 2nd week opponent doesn’t know what to expect” line. I’m not saying that is the case, because it never has been, but something weird was going on. Sellers didn’t miss a pass last year. There weren’t many, but he was very accurate. Yesterday he was suddenly awful, and the receivers had a hard time catching? Maybe it was the case of first game jitters, but I remember how Beamer kept the Mayo Bowl game plan a secret and shocked UNC and most others with playing DK. Beamer doesn’t like Stoops, from what I’ve seen, and really wants to beat him. So, maybe, just maybe, they were sandbagging a bit. We didn’t utilize receivers very much at all and the plays were mostly run plays. I’m not saying I’m on board with this, but it all seemed really off to me, with this much talent, that we would struggle that much against OD at home. If we are that bad, it doesn’t make sense to me.

A running QB is most effective on a play like the one that the ODU QB punked us up the middle for a TD or a true triple-option offense.

But I really think Shane and Dowell wanted to establish the run in this game because we can't win without a good run game.

And at least we weren't limited to a single FG like Clemson was by UGA.

BMac didn't have the size and power that Sellers has, either, and any decent coach would use that as best he could.

UK will rush the edges against us all day until we prove we can stop it. Sellers will also tire too easily if he tries to block down field too much.

24-19 crazy game, glad we got out alive, feel like the offense will play better and the secondary will clean up the chunk plays as well going into next week.
Our offense is practicing against that defense, it will make them better. Stewert and Kennard as 5 and 6 on the ends is sick, that's a Lawrence Taylor line, sick 😫 those 2 are both freakishly fast to the QB and in the zone read

Should have stopped in Cutoff and saved the airfare!
I didn't pay for the airfare and enjoyed the trip and win, my company was outstanding! I was surrounded by some of the craziest, greatest fans on Earth for a sunny Saturday GO COCKS!! The Coop and surrounding area was nothing less than spectacular!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kURzY6HwIw4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnzIVvosBAg

The guys strike me as being like Dawn's recent class. They are more like, "Don't worry coach we'll get it figured out" to me in that sense.

4* and 5* guys figure it out one way or another and retain what they have learned. They don't have to be told repeatedly what to do.

It might be another ugly win, but I'm not really worried about the UK game anymore. In fact, I am looking forward to seeing the kids get better over the course of the season.

Sellers finished with 22 rush attempts, becoming the first Carolina quarterback with 20+ attempts since Connor Shaw ran 22 times vs Clemson (11/30/2013).

>>> SOUTH CAROLINA DEFENSE NOTES
  • Grant Wilson forced a fumble on the second play of the game. It was the quickest turnover forced by the Gamecocks since Oct. 8, 2022 against Kentucky when they did so on the first play of the game.
  • Kyle Kennard recorded two sacks in the first quarter and finished with 2.5 for the game. He now has 15 for his career.
  • O’Donnell Fortune made his fifth career interception in the second quarter.
  • True freshman Dylan Stewart recorded his first career sack in the second quarter. He finished with 1.5 sacks. Stewart also forced his first career fumble in the fourth quarter.
  • Tonka Hemingway recorded a sack in the second quarter, he now has 6.5 for his career.
  • DeAndre Jules recovered his first career fumble in the fourth quarter. Jules finished with a career-high five tackles.
  • Jalon Kilgore recorded his second career interception in the fourth quarter. He tied a career-high with two pass breakups.

>>> SOUTH CAROLINA SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
  • Alex Herrera converted on his first career field goal attempt from 40 yards in the first quarter. He finished with three field goals, the most by a player since last season at Missouri (10/21).
  • DeAndre Jules blocked an extra point in the third quarter. It’s the first Carolina blocked PAT since Kingsley Enagbare against Chattanooga (11/17/18)

LaNorris Sellers is the first freshman QB to start the season opener since Chris Smelley in 2007. He’s the first freshman QB to start a game since Luke Doty in 2020.